Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scott Walker RIP

This might be the most heartbreaking one for me since Bowie. Reading his book of collected lyrics with the section titled "New Songs" had me deeply excited for some new material, but that's not what should be dwelled upon. The man left behind one of the most incredible discographies, and to me his artistic trajectory is easily the most fascinating and inspiring in the world of pop music. The work he left behind already contains multiple lifetimes of enjoyment.

On a side note, I'm pretty sure I've listened to his Nite Flights songs every day for the past year and I haven't grown tired of them. In fact, "The Electrician" was the last piece of music I heard before I heard the news.
    A vie, a mort, et apres...

Very sad news. Yesterday there was a constant but gentle rain here that fell all night. I found myself sitting outside on my porch around midnight listening to Tilt. It was particularly evocative last night.

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    Sad news,
    one of my alltime favourite songwriters and singers.
    RIP

one of my favourite tunes from Scott 4

I listened to this here yesterday and then last night watching the latest episode of The Blacklist they played this same song at the end! R.I.P. Scott

Really sad to hear about this.

How did he die?

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    How did he die?
    Cancer of some type, I believe.

I have spent a few days in the company of his catalogue, it seems much of my recent listening has been directed by such sad events.

I had forgotten quite how wonderful Climate of Hunter is, I have had the CD ever since it was released and I remember such positive reviews in the UK press back in the day, but it had slipped from my listening for the longest time. "Track Three" is just sublime.

^That's the one which was a duet with Billy Ocean and Walker even did a promo video for it, so I guess someone expected a hit! It didn't happen. I love the whole album but 'Sleepwalkers Woman' is the big one for me...his subsequent work (although I bailed out after The Drift) seldom had that same haunted beauty IMHO. That one track would have fit on his 60s albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I had forgotten quite how wonderful Climate of Hunter is, I have had the CD ever since it was released and I remember such positive reviews in the UK press back in the day, but it had slipped from my listening for the longest time. "Track Three" is just sublime.
    The CD was released in 2006, but the LP is from 1984.
    I tried to find the liner-notes from Bob Stanley on the internet, but couldn't find it. It's a very good view on Walker's music and it's good to see he also mentions Mark Hollis and Talk Talk.

It's never night
    When I die

(from Track 3)

a true Maverick
    One of those uniquely talented uncompromising original geniuses
    Like Nico, Beefheart , Harry Partch , Conlon Nancarow

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ...his subsequent work (although I bailed out after The Drift) seldom had that same haunted beauty IMHO.
    I'm also unfamiliar with everything post "The Drift", but you could certainly describe "Tilt" as haunted, maybe it lacks the beauty of earlier, but it's as dark as they come and is quite an immersive ride. I was playing it earlier and reading the reviews on Rate Your Music, there are some corkers on there!

I like the first four Scott Walker solo albums (Nite Flights and Climate Of Hunter are also good) but I really love the stuff from Tilt onwards. Magnificent lunacy!
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

If asked for other favourite tracks, I'd go for 'It's Raining Today', 'Boy Child', 'Big Louise', 'Rosemary', 'Plastic Palace People' and 'The Electrician'.

I also love all of the big 60s hits. Tony Hatch's 'Joanna' may well be MOR but it's a great song and he sings the hell out of it. (I'm less fond of the follow-up 'Lights Of Cincinnatti'.) And the B side of 'Jackie' is deeply strange- 'The Plague'.
    Last edited by JJ88; 03-27-2019 at 01:30 PM.

Definitely someone who possessed a massive of amount originality and creativity. I came to his music after seeing his name linked to the likes of David Sylvian, Perry Blake, Leonard Cohen, Nick Cave and others whose music I was already enjoying. May he Rest In Power.
    Last edited by FrippWire; 03-29-2019 at 10:00 PM.

I am ashamed to admit I have never heard of Scott Walker before his passing. Since then, a couple of friends on FB have recommended some of his music and I count myself a growing fan now. Very interesting stuff.

^
    Same. I've listened to a couple of songs a day.

Leaping like a riverdancers nuts!

The last true progressive artist, and one of the greatest Europeans.

For the last few albums, my very favourite.

^He was American although I think he was based in the UK since the 60s...certainly most of his success was here.

Which means that in one sense, he was more European than many people born there: He became one by choice rather than by accident of birth.

Although - do people in the British Isles count as Europeans? In a way they do, and in another way they belong to their own classification, in the way Swedes and Norwegians do. They're certainly closely tied to Europe by history and trade, but the separation by sea has made land war and invasion almost impossible until the last century or so, and meant that British politics operated at a remove from those on the Continent.

Huge fan here. LOVE Scott 4 and the other albums from that time. Night Flights too. Really experimental-to say the least-stuff after that but man I love that movie 30th Century Man. Found the Blu-ray at Amazon.uk for a reasonable price. Well worth checking out. RIP.