Thread: In-depth appreciation of U.K.'s debut album and tour

In-depth appreciation of U.K.'s debut album and tour

Really interesting blog posting that recounts the story of the first incarnation of UK. Not a lot of new material here but very detailed and thorough and presented nicely. Bruford's facebook page actually pointed it out as required reading:

https://musicaficionado.blog/2019/03...s-debut-album/

Thanks a lot for posting this article Dan. Never heard of the Music Aficionado site before (but it looks like they've got some interesting things there)

Thanks. Funny coincidence: last month I also wrote a piece on that album for a Dutch magazine (it hasn't been published yet), using more or less the same sources, although I also had some interviews with the bandmembers made when the album was released. Still one of the best progressive (jazz)rock-albums in my collection.

I only have their live one and have been looking around to see if I can find anything else, with no luck.

Can someone help me out, here?

Great post. I encountered his post about Bill Bruford in '75 and '76 and it answered a lot of questions I'd wondered about!

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    I only have their live one and have been looking around to see if I can find anything else, with no luck.

Can someone help me out, here?
    Yes: importCDs has U.K.'s 1st Album https://www.importcds.com/u-k/4988031143759 and their follow-up Danger Money https://www.importcds.com/danger-money/4988031143766 (and other online vendors have them too so shop around).

Embedded in the article is an article about Bruford's time as a session player/hired gun during 74 to 77. I saw Bruford with Genesis during the TOTT tour in 76. My one and only time to enjoy his unique drumming style live.

Quote Originally Posted by yesman1955 View Post
    Embedded in the article is an article about Bruford's time as a session player/hired gun during 74 to 77. I saw Bruford with Genesis during the TOTT tour in 76. My one and only time to enjoy his unique drumming style live.
    I remember back in the day reading a discography of Bruford and then trying to hunt down all those albums. I finally got all of them and a couple aren't half bad!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I remember back in the day reading a discography of Bruford and then trying to hunt down all those albums. I finally got all of them and a couple aren't half bad!
    I did that too after UK was released, but not only with Bruford's discography, but with all four! (Some of those LP's I already had b.t.w. like Viva! Roxy Music).
    I even made a family-tree in which Terry Bozzio was added later on.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I thought it was pretty much a given that you couldn't go wrong buying things from Bruford's discography.

Until I borrowed Union off a guy.

^^^ Does Bruford actually play the "Bruford" parts on Union?

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Beats me. I can't remember anything about it apart from the fact that I didn't play any track all the way through.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I thought it was pretty much a given that you couldn't go wrong buying things from Bruford's discography.

Until I borrowed Union off a guy.
    Reminds me of the fact that I bought Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe when it was released, but returning it to the shop a couple of days later... Somehow I couldn't stand the voice from Jon anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Reminds me of the fact that I bought Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe when it was released, but returning it to the shop a couple of days later... Somehow I couldn't stand the voice from Jon anymore.
    I think I bought your copy.....and kept it! Saw them live and it was even better than the album.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    Sort of along those lines Bruford posted this short opinion piece on his site..

https://billbruford.com/what-if/
    nice little blog by Broof
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Bruford’s One of a Kind to me is like an instrumental version of UK’s debut. In a lot of ways I like it better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This thread reminds me what a shame it is that there appears to be no live film footage of the original UK. I guess if there was it would have shown up on YT by now. Still, at least we have the Bruford Rock Goes to College set from just after that period to savour...

“Life for me is a series of asses that I’m behind. Adrian’s got a very nice ass, slim. John Wetton’s is fat. Jon Anderson’s is very small. Nice legs, lousy ass. It’s a series of asses.” —Bill Bruford

Man, if someone doesn’t use this as their signature quote, they’re missing out!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...