Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rap/hip hop fan reaction to Rush YYZ

Rap/hip hop fan reaction to Rush YYZ

I have been into these type of reaction videos for a while now...rap/hip hop guys listening to classic prog and metal.

Have to warn there is some use of the N word here, but this guys reaction to Rush YYZ is just priceless...I just love this guy!

I only clicked on it because I thought it was going to be something more interesting...

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Hilarious!

Ha - fuckin funny.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

The guys in Lost In Vegas do some great reaction videos:

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    ....this guy's reaction to Rush YYZ is just priceless...I just love this guy!
    Well, he's probably listened mostly to music that's all about one looped rhythm, and one or two or no chords, and words yammered in time but not sung, and if there's a melody it's just a repeated hook. Most of the backing music is canned, or sampled, or a studio construct. So he's got no context for this, and it hits him like a freight train (I also suspect he's smoked a lot of weed). Many of the guys who play live-band hip-hop can play as well as Rush, but they're playing dead-simple music perfectly rather than difficult music very well. So again, no context. It also doesn't hurt that under the goofiness, he's a serious music nut who can recognize and appreciate skill. And, he's open-minded about genre - he isn't going, "Where's the beat? Where's the hook? Why're they changing all the time? Ain't nobody rapping or singing! This shit's WACK!"

Here are the "Lost in Vegas" guys commenting on "YYZ":

Very different - maybe the difference is one or no bong-hits apiece, as opposed to about fifty on the part of the first guy.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I do find a little irony in these videos, but mostly I choose to just see them as people discovering some amazing music and enjoying it. I hope they all listen to more Rush and prog.

Watching a Video of people listening to music is like watching paint dry......So many people Need a Life!... YMMV IMHO
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Watching a Video of people listening to music is like watching paint dry......So many people Need a Life!... YMMV IMHO
    I enjoy these. The other day I played some of the re-recorded Bowie album Never Let Me Down for my son, and it was fun to see how he reacted to it. Seeing people respond to good music can be interesting, IMO. But sure, this isn't for everyone.

That was awesome.

I felt the same way with those "shredding" videos, where the guy took videos of famous guitarists and overdubbed himself playing badly. I mean, it was kinda funny the first time I saw it, but after about the fourth or fifth one, it struck me as the definition of "one trick pony".

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I felt the same way with those "shredding" videos, where the guy took videos of famous guitarists and overdubbed himself playing badly. I mean, it was kinda funny the first time I saw it, but after about the fourth or fifth one, it struck me as the definition of "one trick pony".
    Some of them are just tiresome. But the ones of the Stones and Kiss - where he wrote whole new songs that matched their lips and fingers, but were totally goofy - were really pretty ingenious. They're somewhere between metal, ska, and klezmer, and sound like Primus on a bad night. "I will never go to SCHOOOOOOOL! 'Cause it's not so nice!" "You passed too bad gas!"
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 03-22-2019 at 12:30 AM.

Music Nerds?

I resemble that remark, nolifeshaq. I resemble that remark.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Mail View Post
    Have to warn there is some use of the N word here, but this guys reaction to Rush YYZ is just priceless...I just love this guy!
    I thought that was hilarious, TBH

Black dude calling whities niggers rotflmao.gif

yeah, the only time I do is when I see threads like this one.... and still manage to skip 3/4 of it.
    This one is funny (or amusing) 60 seconds, but not 600 seconds.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I watched about 2 seconds of it. I like where he says " it ain't metal, but it's a metal reaction " (whatever he said before was unintelligible...).

I've seen several of these "hip hop dudes react to [Metallica, Slayer, Pantera, etc.] videos. They can be humorous and entertaining. It's like I wanna tell them " now you get it?"

People who listen to hip hop aren't aliens or idiots.
    Hip Hop fans are just as much music fans as Prog fans or Jazz fans.

Quote Originally Posted by auxfnx View Post

no doubt

here in Phila one could/can see plenty of cats crate digging at every flea market and porch sale weekend after weekend. likewise, a friend of mine owns the Phila Record Exchange and amongst his biggest customers were Diplo and Questlove. and this shop is primary obscure post punk, free jazz, lo-fi. Quest could be seen at Silk City every weekend spinning the gamut. everything. to a mixed crowd. that's some inspirational shit right there, what music IS about: sharing and communicating

I actually find this reaction video incredibly moving

Anarchist, reactionary, running-dog, revisionist
    Hindu, Muslim, Catholic, creation, evolutionist

Rational, romantic, mystic, cynical, idealist
    Minimal expressionist, post-modern, neo-symbolist

Armchair rocket scientist graffiti existentialist
    Deconstruction primitive performance photo-realist

Be-bop or a one-drop or a hip-hop lite-pop-metallist
    Gold adult contemporary urban country capitalist
    2trevorsforlife

Yeah, hip hop producers actually some of the broadest taste pallettes and often have a very deep knowledge of music history through digging through obscure records for music samples. It's actually how I got into prog and jazz fusion.

I'd say that the average level of hip hop lyrics is probably more intelligent (at least thought-provoking) than the prog or metal lyrics average is...

This is especially the case in the Slam subgenre, where the poetry can be quite arresting - at least in French-speaking artistes: I'll take anyday a Grand Corps Malade lyric sheet over a Christian Descamps or a translated-to-French Vander one.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by helix View Post
    likewise, a friend of mine owns the Phila Record Exchange
    That guys still around? I bought hundreds of vinyl albums from that place in the 80s and 90s when it was on Fifth and South. I know it's no longer at that location.

Quote Originally Posted by Bartellb View Post
    That guys still around? I bought hundreds of vinyl albums from that place in the 80s and 90s when it was on Fifth and South. I know it's no longer at that location.

now on Frankford Ave in the heart of the hype of Northern Liberties/Fishtown. doing better than ever actually, with some live shows bi-weekly
    2trevorsforlife

Yeah, hip hop producers actually some of the broadest taste pallettes and often have a very deep knowledge of music history through digging through obscure records for music samples. It's actually how I got into prog and jazz fusion.
    Yeah, there's now a lot of hip hop records that sample off prog and every other genre imaginable. Apparently, a major source of income for Hugh Hopper during the last couple years of his life (when he was too sick to perform or record) was the royalties off a hip hop record that sampled something off Two Rainbows Daily.

I also find these reaction videos awesome/fascinating/hilarious. Here are two of my fave reactors. The first (Weeabo) is fairly hyper and insane (in a good way), but he actually listens the the music and makes good comments. He's listened to a lot of prog rock and metal, even some deep tracks. The second (Soul Train Bro) is a more thoughtful listener and reviewer. He likes to read up on the bands' Wikipedia pages to know more about them. I like his laid back approach, but sometimes his videos can get a bit too long.

As for the appeal of these videos, to me it's cool seeing reactions to these songs I've lived with and loved for decades through another's ears hearing them for the first time. It kind of brings the magic back of my first time hearing them. Kind of a musical voyeurism.

Quote Originally Posted by devoidzer0 View Post
    The first (Weeabo) is fairly hyper and insane (in a good way), but he actually listens the the music and makes good comments.
    The second (Soul Train Bro) is a more thoughtful listener and reviewer. He likes to read up on the bands' Wikipedia pages to know more about them.
    That seems to the thing. To get a following for these vids, they need to make an impression. And the two ways of doing that seem to be either goofy and babbling, or intelligent and well informed.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    That seems to the thing. To get a following for these vids, they need to make an impression. And the two ways of doing that seem to be either goofy and babbling, or intelligent and well informed.
    If people's reactions seem too over-the-top or "put on," I'm out. These guys seem genuinely into the music. Unless you have millions of subscribers (which most of these reactors don't), these videos aren't going to be lucrative. So hopefully most of them are doing it for the right reasons (i.e. to expand their musical horizons).