Thread: RIP Tom Doncourt

RIP Tom Doncourt

Just learnt that Tom Doncourt of Cathedral (US) fame passed away. RIP.

Below, an interesting interview in memoriam.

https://www.psychedelicbabymag.com/2...w-with-to.html
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Very sad news. To me Stained Glass Stories is a major achievement of progressive rock music, and Tom's highly inventive use of keyboards was a key factor to this. Rest in Peace, and the music rests with us.

RIP... Been way too long since I spun that album...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Sad news. Tom is featured on The Samurai Of Prog's Lost And Found, which includes a Cathedral-song:

Classic album, if a bit late in the game for them. I love it. Sad to hear he's gone.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Classic album, if a bit late in the game for them. I love it. Sad to hear he's gone.
    Same here. Always hoped there'd be a ProgDay Cathedral reunion. Not any more. Goodbye, Tom.
    Lou

Awarded the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval. It's not just good, it's good enough.

Terribly sad news.

I went to see Cathedral down on Long Island right before The Bridge came out. It was mostly a "friends and family" gig, but somehow I heard they were playing and didn't want to miss it. After the show I mentioned I went here on PE, and Tom contacted me. We had a bit of correspondence, and he wound up sending me a signed copy of The Bridge, which I still have. Really nice guy, and it was great to see the band play with all original members save the guitarist.

On Stained Glass Stories, Tom has one of the most unique Mellotron Choir sounds I've ever heard. He uses it with a very sharp attack, unlike Banks, for example, who drenches it in reverb. I also think Tom used the male choir as opposed to the mixed choir which adds female voices on top. It was Tom's sound I most tried to emulate on EO's albums when I used Tron Choir. He was a unique player.

Very sad to hear of his passing.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    ...Tom has one of the most unique Mellotron Choir sounds I've ever heard. He uses it with a very sharp attack, unlike Banks, for example, who drenches it in reverb.l
    Yes. So that's the difference in being a musician when listening to music. I've noticed but could never put to words.

Quote Originally Posted by Zappathustra View Post
    Yes. So that's the difference in being a musician when listening to music. I've noticed but could never put to words.
    Maybe. Or maybe it's just the difference between begin a Mellotron freak or not.

Interestingly, I looked on Tom's Facebook page. He wrote a nice brief history of his activities, and this caught my eye: "I have been collecting some keyboards- compact organs, tube "synths" and sundry for a particular sound I have in my head, very "electronic". In March 2010 I aquired a Chamberlin- something which was and continues to be huge for me for I consider myself, above all else, a Mellotronist!"

Sad to read he had been sick for some time, and had just gone into hospice. I lost another friend and former band-mate earlier this year, and his experience was similar, though his period in hospice care was much longer.

Bill

Sad to hear the news. Everything I've heard or read about the guy says he was one-of-a-kind and a really nice person. Stained Glass Stories is an undeniable classic.

A really progressive site this one is. 90% of the members are Americans, yet you find just 5 posts and almost all from Europe for one of the 5-10 best albums of 70's US prog. But enough with this nonsense, let's have some more of the stray lamb, some Trevor Rabin reimagining Glen Medeiros, and some Manticore returning to avenge Keith and Greg.

Unbeknownst to me, aside from his work in Cathedral, Tom released several solo discs of recent vintage, as well as a duo CD. I listened to one on Mattias's Bandcamp page, The Moon Will Rise, and it is an outstanding moody work that would appeal to many here.

https://roth-handle.bandcamp.com/alb...moon-will-rise

I couldn't purchase a CD there, so went elsewhere, and I ordered the other 3 online as well. They're easy enough to find on ebay, CD Baby, Musicstack, Discogs, etc as well. Well worth looking into. I would expect that now, once they're gone, they're gone.

Edit: The titles are:

The Moon Will Rise
    The Mortal Coil
    House In The Woods
    Volume One by Nadia Ratsimandresy and Tom Doncourt

There's another one that I couldn't find at all.
    Last edited by moecurlythanu; 03-23-2019 at 08:17 PM.
    He did not know that the sword he'd hold, would turn his priceless empire into fool's gold...

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

RIP.

Played Stained Glass Stories on Thursday in memory. I didn't discover these guys until Greg Walker reissued the vinyl way back when.