Thread: FEATURED CD: Hoelderlin - Hoelderlin (1975)

FEATURED CD: Hoelderlin - Hoelderlin (1975)

Review from ProgArchives (Trane)
    Some three years after having recorded a stunning folk prog album Holderlin's Traum, the group took three years to record and release their second album to label Pilz and Ohr going broke. Only in early 75, did the group (with a slightly rearranged name) finally got around to this excellent second album (on the collectible Spiegelei label), although fairly different-sounding and with their female singer De Ruig now gone.

The sound had definitely slid from a prog folk one to a more conventional symphonic tone, not far from Genesis (this similarity was not helped by the fact that they will sing in English from now on), but their music was not derivative. Although this album is rather a far cry from the hippy idealism of the debut, the group still has the same dedication to make excellent music, not least helped by multi-instrumentalist that allows for such instrument as flute, cello, violin to spice-up the sextet's music, with two guest on woodwinds and the ever indispensable Conny Plank at the production helm. If I say the sound is quite different, the progressive folk influences are still quite present at times. Too bad the artwork is quite amateur (done by guitarist Christian Grumbkow as will the two following album's artwork also), but his brother Joachim is also the main songwriter.

From the opening instrumental track (a head-twisting drama-filled scorcher and finishing in a duel with a symphonic orchestra) to the closing Honeypot (almost 9-min mini-epîc), side 1 of the vinyl is a very impressive show of great songwriting close to what the British masters were doing at the time, greatly helped with an excellent production job. Stuck in between is a shorter track bringing you a more muscular Genesis-type of prog with credible Gabriel-like vocals, but this is never overpowering, but not accidental either.

The second side is filled by an almost-sidelong epic, the 17-min+ Death-Watch-Beetle, but preceeded by a short sweet catchy Nurnberg. Building from a slow crescendo, the track takes its own time to come to its centrepiece, taking meanderings with piano and violin duos, but the singing is maybe at its weakest (at least at the start of this track, but the English lyrics are dispensed with very correct delivery, even if it is obvious they are not native speakers), but the tracks is a never ending tempo change, thanks to the inventive drumming of Bruchman. Almost grandiose, but not perfect: some obvious flaws appear.

Although a departure from their debut album, Hoelderlin (with its pair of brothers - Kaseberg and Grumbkow) hit right on the button with this superb confirmation of their talents. Warmly recommended.

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Possibly my favorite album from Germany. A masterpiece.

Never heard their music, I really like the first clip, and I am a sucker for violin. Is this similiar to the feel of the album? I'm digging it.

I much prefer their debut (Holderlin's Traum), but this one is rather good.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by eporter66 View Post
    Never heard their music, I really like the first clip, and I am a sucker for violin. Is this similiar to the feel of the album? I'm digging it.
    Actually it's a viola, which is a bit larger and tuned a quint lower than a violin.
    Hoelderlin is the best German group, well at least in my very humble opinion. But well, my name comes from one of their songs.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I much prefer their debut (Holderlin's Traum), but this one is rather good.
    Love the debut by these guys. Haven't heard this one though.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Quote Originally Posted by mellotron storm View Post
    Love the debut by these guys. Haven't heard this one though.
    You can safely invest blindly in this one, a tad more carefully in the schizophrenic Clouds & Clows... and if you really like them... go for Rare Birds... But no thanks for me... just too run-of-the-mill (sorry Renate )
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    I have the 5 of their lp's, up to Fata Morgana. Haven't spun them for quite some time, but if memory serves me well, this one is my favourite. And love the song title Death Watch Beetle! Great epic too. The last two, FM & New Faces saw them leaning away from their proggy beginnings (though again, haven't heard these for long time so am going from a distant memory).

One of my fav bands of all times. The trio of albums, Hoelderlin, Clowns/Clouds, Rarebirds, is about as good as any UK Big 5 put out. Traum was a different place, but again, a classic. Masterpieces indeed
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

I like them all. The live one is also a winner.

Off topic...

According to Victor Borge, do you know how to tell the difference between a violin and viola?

A viola burns longer.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Great album. Very much symphonic but still folky.

Somehow this band always had went below my radar untill a few years ago I heard a couple of tracks and was quitr impressed and quickly bought this album and the next three albums. This one went straight to the top region of my favourite German prog albums. Right now I am playing the second Anyone's Daughter album (the new remaster on Tempus Fugit, sounds quite good) but this one will be next. Great Friday night prog :-).

I like it.

I wish Conny Plank hadn't dicked around all over the end of "Deathwatchbeetle" making it go several minutes past where it should have ended.

Seems like every album Plank produced, he got a few minutes to aimlessly dick around like that.

"Nurnberg" is just beautiful. One of my fave Prog "miniatures."
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Love this one, but I tend to reach for their amazing live album the most times.

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    I like them all. The live one is also a winner.
    The live one was the first I had. Saw it in a recordstore and because it had keyboards and viola, I decided to try it and I was a big Hoelderlin-fan ever since. Not a bad album in their output.

Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    "Nurnberg" is just beautiful. One of my fave Prog "miniatures."
    This one, together with "Rare bird".

I am going to get this one I think!

This is first of theirs that I found and still my favorite. Clocks and Clowns was the hardest for me to finally get. I don't usually recommend live albums but theirs is a good representation. My collection is in storage but I have a random 100 records left in my closet... Well, whattaya know? I have Rare Birds right here! Check ya later...

Since nobody asked but eventually ... somebody typically does and this was a really great production ... so I'll throw in my 2c:

Original Vinyl: Superb.
    WMMS CD: Very nice. A little treble happy but really good.
    EMI CD w/ bonus trx: Heavily EQd, compressed, not my cup of tea.

It’s good, but I like Clowns & Clouds and Rare Birds better.

Quote Originally Posted by Blah_Blah_Woof_Woof View Post
    I don't usually recommend live albums but theirs is a good representation.
    There’s not really a whole lot of variance between their live and studio sound but Traumstadt does include some unique tracks, one of the few things that attracts me to live albums at all. Otherwise they’re just “completing the collection” for me.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Parece cosa de maligno. Los pianos no estallan por casualidad." --Gabriel Garcia Marquez

N.P.:“354”-Gösta Berlings Saga/Glue Works

A wonderful album. The epic “Death-Watch-Beetle” is mesmerizing, and an absolute treat!

Quote Originally Posted by yesstiles View Post
    A wonderful album. The epic “Death-Watch-Beetle” is mesmerizing, and an absolute treat!
    Yes, that's fantastic track. Probably the longest track they ever did.

Looking at this zombie thread from 10 years ago...lotta formerly regular posters that you never see anymore.