Thread: Saw All Them Witches Tuesday Night

Saw All Them Witches Tuesday Night

I saw All Them Witches at The Stache in Grand Rapids Michigan Tuesday night. I first discovered this band through Classic Rock Magazine a few years ago when they named their 2017 “Sleeping Through The War” album as one of their critics list best of the year. I took a chance on it and immediately became a fan. Their music is kind of hard to fit a genre. I have seen them described as “Psychedelic Rock”, “Stoner Rock”, “Blues Rock”, “and Jam Band” and they do fit all of those categories. They are certainly unique. Apparently they have lost their keyboard player as the band performed as a 3 piece Tuesday night. The music is pretty dark for the most part and they used Black Sabbath’s “War Pigs” as their intro music. The band put on a 2 hour show that pushed all the buttons for me. I own 3 of their albums and they did a significant sampling from all of them as well as some music I was not familiar with. They also threw in a cool cover of Jimi Hendrix “Manic Depression”. The club is not my favorite venue. It probably holds a few hundred and was pretty full. The sound was really muddy at the start, and improved, but never got what I would call clear, and I was standing right near the soundboard. The band used no lighting other than being bathed in red light for the whole show. For the encore a few people cleared out so I was able to nab a spot right up near the stage which was cool to see them up close. They are really good musicians The band are out of Nashville and I think they have a bright future, and are worth checking out. Here is the set list:

FUNERAL FOR A GREAT DRUKEN BIRD
    3-5-7
    DIAMOND
    DIRT PREACHERS
    1ST VS 2ND
    FISHBELLY 86 ONIONS
    MANIC DEPRESSION (HENDRIX COVER)
    HARVEST FEAST
    WORKHORSE
    CHARLES WILLIAM
    WHEN GOD COMES BACK
    ROB’S DREAM
    ALABASTER

ENCORE:

TALISMAN
    BLOOD SAND MILK AND ENDLESS WATER

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I really enjoy their earlier albums because of the sort of Appalachian sound their songs had, and also sort of creepy but cool Appalachian-related lyrics. For example, there's a song - I can't remember which album - that had the line "If you die I promise I'll put your ashes in a jar."

When they went a bit more mainstream psych/stoner I sort of lost interest, but it does sound like they put on a good show. I think they had a free live album on Bandcamp at some point, not sure if they still do.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I really enjoy their earlier albums because of the sort of Appalachian sound their songs had, and also sort of creepy but cool Appalachian-related lyrics. For example, there's a song - I can't remember which album - that had the line "If you die I promise I'll put your ashes in a jar."

When they went a bit more mainstream psych/stoner I sort of lost interest, but it does sound like they put on a good show. I think they had a free live album on Bandcamp at some point, not sure if they still do.
    I only have their 3 most recent albums, so may not have heard the same ones you have heard. I am planning to go back exploring further back in their history.

Really enjoyed their first two (Lightning and Surfer), but the third was really not good (IMHO), and ATW did make a return to their earlier stuff but failed to match them...
    Still it managed to scrtach my 2019 top 30 rock

Saw them live three years ago.
    Last edited by Trane; 03-15-2019 at 08:26 PM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    All Them Witches has a livestream show coming up soon! Go to their FB page for the link to buy tix. They’re doing two totally different sets, $12 per set. I cannot wait!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    All Them Witches has a livestream show coming up soon! Go to their FB page for the link to buy tix. They’re doing two totally different sets, $12 per set. I cannot wait!
    Thanks for the heads up!