Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do musicians listen to music differently than non musicians?

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    This ties to what I've been thinking about the current Crimson.

On their first tour of the US, they basically played the notes.

Then they started playing the songs.

By the time of the Vienna album, they were playing the music.

By the time of the Chicago and Mex City albums, the music was playing them.
    Not to get too deep here, but I believe this is often referred to as "flow." And it's experienced by many, and not restricted to musicians. Think of a basketball player who is described as "unconscious," nailing shot after shot during a game. Basically losing yourself in your art (or chosen outlet) so that it just.....flows.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    What's even more amazing is Joe Perry is left handed, but learned to play like everyone else.
    If by "like everyone else" You mean he learned to play the guitar right handed, there's quite a few such guitarists, namely Mark and David Knopfler, Steve Morse, Rik Emmett...oh, and myself. See what I did there?

You know Fripp is lefthanded?
    Is he? I honestly didn't know that. Never seen him write.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    I find this interesting because over the years watching conductors especially Leonard Bernstein, it always seemed to me as though many of them connected emotionally with the music that they were conducting. Bernstein used to say that during the performance he connected so much with the piece that he felt as though he was the composer and only until it was that he realized that he didn’t compose it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Come on, I am not talking about Bernstein or people of his caliber. Bernstein was music incarnated.

There are many musicians underneath that have considerable technical knowledge and yet don't really feel it, or love it wholeheartedly.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    If by "like everyone else" You mean he learned to play the guitar right handed, there's quite a few such guitarists, namely Mark and David Knopfler, Steve Morse, Rik Emmett...oh, and myself. See what I did there?

Is he? I honestly didn't know that. Never seen him write.
    His sister even claimed that Fripp was tone deaf too...

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/arti...t-handed-40457

http://www.rightleftrightwrong.com/issues_music.html

Johnny Winter and Gary Moore was apparently lefties too.

Hmmm... such interesting points being made. I would say that I heard music differently as a child and that's what made me become a musician. I love to hear it with the heart only, but sometimes my brain won't stop going "Ooh! What was THAT?" I guess the old Steve Hackett adage (before it got shrilly produced) "when the heart rules the mind...".

I also agree that many non musicians respond to a sound ....

I'm a member of that club too; lefty who plays guitar righty. I only took lessons from age 10 to 11, but my first lesson was the most important one; that's when my teacher told me that I was holding the guitar upside down. It's really not so uncommon.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    It's probably because I often feel like I'm putting notes after another and mostly it sounds right to me. If I hear other composers telling about how they are strugling, trying something, improving it, trying again and so on and so on, I get the feeling I'm doing something wrong.

I know I'm not good at keyboards, even my pianoteacher told me I could better study composing (which I never did).
    Sounds like you write by what feels right. And then don't need to improve what is already perfect. I write by feel too, but am always adjusting, morphing, whittling, and a few other ings too I imagine, some of the more complex music, but often leaving the simpler tunes alone that felt right at the outset, though that happens less often than not. I think that likely makes me the imposter, having to keep adjusting something to get it right.

I believe at least some lefties who play(ed) right handed are actually ambidextrous. A friend of my, who I haven't seen in a while, is left handed. He plays both guitar and drums right handed. He is most definitely ambidextrous. When he paints, he'll switch hands to whichever side of the canvas he's working on.

On a different note, just about any violinist worth his/her salt will play right handed. For a short time, the New York Philharmonic had a violinist who played left handed. He sat in the last chair of the second violin section. That's likely where he'll stay the rest of his life, for whatever orchestra he happens to play.
    Last edited by progmatist; 03-21-2019 at 03:45 PM.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I'm left-handed and when I play air-guitar, I play left-handed. But when I had a right-handed bass in my hands, I felt most comfortable playing right-handed.
    But there is no left-handed keyboard, so I'm used to doing that kind of work with my right hand. I write right-handed, because I was forced to, but I draw left-handed.

I'm left-handed and when I play air-guitar, I play left-handed. But when I had a right-handed bass in my hands, I felt most comfortable playing right-handed.
    But there is no left-handed keyboard, so I'm used to doing that kind of work with my right hand. I write right-handed, because I was forced to, but I draw left-handed.
    The left hand will still dominate while playing keyboards, if one is a leftie. That aside, playing keyboards requires the same dexterity as typing. Most people who know how to type can type equally well with both hands. Playing guitar on the other hand, picking requires much more precise, delicate motion. Fretting strings is more along the line of typing or playing keyboard. Picking requires the same dexterity as writing or drawing. Most everyone does so with their dominate hand, with few exceptions.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I'm left eyed, and right eared.

After reading all this I'm starting to wonder if I'm really left-handed or right-handed. I eat and write left-handed, but playing guitar/bass is something I do right-handed. I also do lots of other things right-handed like swinging a bat, throwing a ball, etc. I can type and that does feel pretty balanced in terms of the capability of each hand. I did spend a summer seriously thinking if the piano made sense for me but I felt that my right hand was okay and my left would likely never be any good. I guess it's ironic that I feel now that my left hand has more dexterity (on guitar) and my right is relatively undeveloped (I'm still using my same old basic picking skills that I learned years ago - I never progressed to anything particularly difficult picking-wise and learned to rely a lot on hammer-ons and pull-offs).

Edit: I have mixed dominance. I just remembered I also could never hit anything with a gun...could be a related issue that I just never understood at the time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-dominance
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    After reading all this I'm starting to wonder if I'm really left-handed or right-handed. I eat and write left-handed, but playing guitar/bass is something I do right-handed. I also do lots of other things right-handed like swinging a bat, throwing a ball, etc. [/url]
    Exactly the same for me. And most of the lefties I know do some things righty. I think our brains were wired wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Exactly the same for me. And most of the lefties I know do some things righty. I think our brains were wired wrong.
    I'm sure I can find many who will say something isn't right about me.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    I write right-handed, because I was forced to, but that is more or less the only thing I do right-handed. I have less problems switching. My mouse is on the left side of the keyboard, which most people feel difficult to handle, but I have less problems with a right-handed mouse.

I write right-handed, because I was forced to, but that is more or less the only thing I do right-handed. I have less problems switching. My mouse is on the left side of the keyboard, which most people feel difficult to handle, but I have less problems with a right-handed mouse.
    I'm mostly right-handed with the mouse, but I've switched to left-handed in some situations without too much trouble.

I just read that about 84% of people are right hand dominant and are also right leg dominant (kicking a ball, using a shovel). I'm left-handed, but right-legged. My wife is completely left dominant, but was forced to write right-handed.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    What's even more amazing is Joe Perry is left handed, but learned to play like everyone else.
    If I'd have been a lefty I'd want to play righty because the options for lefties are few. Plus, lefty guitars just look wrong. And evil.

But on the flip side, watching videos of lefty players is helpful because you can just mirror their movements.