Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Steven Wilson VS Greta Van Fleet

Steven Wilson VS Greta Van Fleet

https://metalheadzone.com/prog-rock-...HbxidSnv78yh84

Any thoughts on this recent brouhaha?

I'm pretty much in agreement with Steven -- something that doesn't happen all that often.

Not that my opinion is very important, but I haven't been impressed by Greta Van Fleet. To my ears, Wolfmother did it better (although I wasn't nuts about them either).

I'm pretty sure Greta Van Fleet cares exactly as much about Wilson's opinion of them, as Wilson does about MY opinion of him.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Was there not another thread already started. Coulda swore I posted...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I agree with his thoughts on GvF. They are sort of a third rate Zep BUT the fact that a guitar driven band is making waves like this is a good thing. If it inspires more young people to pick a guitar and play (just like yesterday) then they have done some good. That said, the comments come off as whiney. Calling them out for sounding like other bands seems lame considering SW's own music sounded pretty much like Floyd early on before he started to have a sound of his own. Even then his influences were prominently displayed on his sleeve. Maybe GvF will mature into something of their own eventually. You never know. In the meantime this has got a lot of people asking "Who is this Steven Wilson, anyway?". Not the best way to go about it, but there you have it. He's pretty late to the GvF bashing party though. Robert Plant was doing it at least six months ago.
    Last edited by Sean; 03-12-2019 at 11:10 AM.

I did watch one GvF video out of curiosity, and I did think that they sounded like a LZ clone. Hopefully they'll move in a more original direction in the future.

The reason they are a third rate imitation is because the songs are kind of weak. None of them would have been up to snuff for even the first Zep album. The vocalist sort of sounds like Plant, but that's pretty much where the similarities end. To my ears, anyway.....

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I'm pretty sure Greta Van Fleet cares exactly as much about Wilson's opinion of them, as Wilson does about MY opinion of him.

Not so much a brouhaha, sometimes the truth hurts.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

90’s famous rock band Porcupine Tree’s former frontman Steven Wilson...
    Porcupine Tree were famous?

But yeah, this...

They’re like a boy band version of Led Zeppelin. I understand why that happens, I’m not naive, I understand that a lot of the industry is based around being young, pretty, having the right image. I’ve never had any of that stuff.
    ...definitely comes off as whiney.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Wilson whined about GvF when I saw him recently in Carrboro, NC. Said nobody back in England has heard of them which wasn't true since they had just sold out 3 nights at the Forum in Kentish Town. Sounded like some jealousy going on. I predict that very soon GvF will be playing much larger halls in the UK than Wilson ever has. Not saying I'm happy about that, just that it's the state of music these days. And while I agree their song writing is a bit weak, they're a young band and refreshing to see in light of all the other garbage that passes for music these days.

As a fan of both, I think SW has got it completely wrong here. He seems envious that GVF are good looking and have got a major record deal at such a young age. In a previous interview he was complaining about how rock music is invisible in the music mainstream nowadays and yet now that GVF are helping to bring rock music back to young audiences he doesn't like it. GVF are not a manufactured band, they can actually play their instruments and write songs and they are great live. So what if they sound a bit like Led Zep, they wear their influences on their sleeve rather like SW did in his earlier career. No doubt they will continue to grow and develop their own style which in fact I think they are already doing if you listen to all of their debut album.

Personally I think it says more about Wilson who seems to be getting more and more arrogant and opinionated than ever.

I've never thought much of Steve Wilson anyway - I think he's just pissed off - and venting - I hope it helps his bruised inner self - Life isnt fair - he should know making music for that gigantic market he doesnt have.

Mr. W does seem to be getting more and more bitter lately, which is hard to understand, as he has a successful career in music, something most musicians can only dream about. He plays to good size venues, just a couple of notches below arena capacity...most of us would be thrilled to pieces with that. Especially considering he writes music exactly the way he wants to, with no compromises.

neil

It seems like he isn't content to sleep in the bed he's made. He seems to want bigger fame, the likes of which only mainstream acts have. You could even look at the direction of his last album as a stab at that as well. It just didn't work or make much difference. If he really wanted that sort of fame he probably shouldn't have spent the first years of his career making ambient music and then switch to prog. Neither are going to get him in that arena. Or any arenas, come to think of it.

I think the path he chose is a lot more artistically legit though.

Jon Neudorf
    Well, i disagree with some of Steve's comments. Abyssmal seems rather harsh to me but i actually like their last record. Sure they sound like Zep and wear their influences on said sleeve but i really have never cared about that. Either i like the music or not. I remember the first time i listened to Sky Moves Sideways and thought this is quite Floydy. I really liked that about it. When i hear other bands that are influenced by Floyd, and indeed the list is long, i always think there will never be another Floyd album so what's the harm. If i like it i like it. I don't expect the wheel to be reinvented every time i listen to a new album.
    And yes, he does sound somewhat bitter but i will always listen intently to what he says as i so highly respect him as an artist.
    And getting back to GVF at least they sound a hell of alot better than most other stuff i am hearing on the radio these days. Just my two cents.

Jon

Here's the thing: we can, as a community, engage in a lengthy and reasoned debate about Steven Wilson's opinion of GVF and we'll be missing on crucial element. Steven Wilson.

We can exchange opinions, we can clarify our points, we can changed our minds, we can apologize for taking too negative a stance and modify our approach, we can offer evidence, we can come back later when we remember something we meant to bring up. And the opinion being discussed is static, with no means of defense or explanation. What's the point, other than an opportunity to shit on someone?

Like he's shitting on GvF?

I don't recall them being around to defend themselves when he was interviewed. His words have spread a lot further than any thread around here will.

This thread is pure speculation, but few are being particularly judgmental of him. It's more a round of head scratching. Like, "What motivates a 52 year old to say such things about these youngsters?"
    Last edited by Sean; 03-12-2019 at 02:36 PM.

It's a weird thing in that a person like SW should be able to express their opinion, but in reality nobody wants to hear old people whine about stuff. He should just do his thing and not be so concerned about other artists.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    Here's the thing: we can, as a community, engage in a lengthy and reasoned debate about Steven Wilson's opinion of GVF and we'll be missing on crucial element. Steven Wilson.

We can exchange opinions, we can clarify our points, we can changed our minds, we can apologize for taking too negative a stance and modify our approach, we can offer evidence, we can come back later when we remember something we meant to bring up. And the opinion being discussed is static, with no means of defense or explanation. What's the point, other than an opportunity to shit on someone?
    I thought that WAS the point? Either to step in an agree with SW that GVF is shit, or to call SW shit for having his opinion? What other possible conversation was going to play out in this scenario?
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

It was Jason Flom who first signed P Tree to a major label (Lava, distributed by Atlantic). It was also Jason Flom who signed GVF to Lava, distributed by Universal.
    #coincidence
    Daily jazz vinyl reviews on Instagram @jazzandcoffee

Hey, silver linings: maybe this will push the Wetton People vs. Jobson Person thing into the background in terms of thread activity

If a bunch of 50 year old guys made the exact same album, nobody would bat an eye. It's sad that the general public thinks these guys are the only band playing "guitar driven rock" and that they're somehow "saving rock and roll". Ridiculous. They just have a big money marketing machine behind them. They look and sound like kids playing dress up. As far as having a vintage vibe and bringing it to the 21st century, I think Rival Sons blow them out of the water.

Greg Van Fleet.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Like he's shitting on GvF?

I don't recall them being around to defend themselves when he was interviewed. His words have spread a lot further than any thread around here will and nobody is there telling him he shouldn't have said it.

This thread is pure speculation, but nobody's being particularly judgmental of him.
    I appreciate your reassurance that Wilson isn't being harmed here, but my point wasn't to defend him. This is a larger discussion than SW or GVF.

As you said, this thread is pure speculation. Which was what I was implying when I asked what's the point.

A lot of threads here are speculation. It's part of what we do here.