Thread: O.R.k. - Ramagehead (Colin Edwin + Pat Mastellotto project)

O.R.k. - Ramagehead (Colin Edwin + Pat Mastellotto project)

With Porcupine Tree on hiatus, whatever happened to bassist Colin Edwin?

Well, he became an O.R.k. (in partnership with Crimson's Pat Mastellotto).

I'd overlooked the first two albums, but the third one Ramagehead has just been released Kscope, so I picked it up as part of my label-autobuy routine.

It's an interesting album, with the focus on songs rather than improv, and I've posted a few thoughts on my blog:

https://momentstransition.wordpress....magehead-2019/

First one was really good, second one was kind of more mainstream but still quite ok. This new one unfortunately does not do anything for me. Meh.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Actually, Colin has been quite busy.
    Early last year he released with Another World with Estonian guitarist Robert Jurjendal.
    He's also released a few beautiful instrumental albums with American guitarist, Jon Durant. Dance of the Shadow Planets, Burnt Belief and then two albums under the name Burnt Belief: Etymology and Emergent. Those came out in 2011, 2012, 2014 and 2016 respectively.
    He's had several other side projects as well.
    Last edited by Echoes; 03-12-2019 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
    Actually, Colin has been quite busy.
    Early last year he released with Another World with Estonian guitarist Robert Jurjendal.
    He's also released a few beautiful instrumental albums with American guitarist, Jon Durant. Dance of the Shadow Planets, Burnt Belief and then two albums under the name Burnt Belief: Etymology and Emergent. Those came out in 2012, 14 and 16 respectively.
    He's had several other side projects as well.

Colin has indeed been quite busy since the break-up of PT, although he also had his projects while in the band.
    Interesting to note that all members from PT have released a lot of music since Wilson went solo, think of all those albums from Richard Barbieri and all the projects and solo-stuff Harrison released.

The Twinscapes project Edwin is involved in is quite good.

I’m on board for this new O.R.k album.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I bought a copy of Ramagehead on CD but haven't played it yet so I've got that to look forward to.

I was shocked to see this when I went CD shopping yesterday. Luckily, I had seen a short article in Prog (?) mag, and knew what it was, so I picked it up. Has some really cool moments. Not at all what I expected to hear from Mastelotto, that's for sure! Vocals are going to take some getting used to.

Has one of the best looking covers I've ever seen.

www.orkband.com

Here're two recent live-tracks from O.R.k, first Deadly Bite then As I Leave, both from their latest album Screamnasium. A fine album again, although I liked the first one the best, because there is more room for subtle compositions. It tends to become harder by every following album.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Here're two recent live-tracks from O.R.k, first Deadly Bite then As I Leave, both from their latest album Screamnasium. A fine album again, although I liked the first one the best, because there is more room for subtle compositions. It tends to become harder by every following album.

I saw the Amazon had Screamasium, so I picked it up recently to complete my O.R.k collection. It's taking some getting used to. Those vocals are really...out there...

Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    I saw the Amazon had Screamasium, so I picked it up recently to complete my O.R.k collection. It's taking some getting used to. Those vocals are really...out there...
    The louder singing sounds a bit like Chris Cornell. At times I also get an Alice in Chains vibe.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet