Thread: I'm almost embarrassed to say I listen to this

I'm almost embarrassed to say I listen to this

Vintage Popular Music and Jazz
    1925-1935

Almost.

I listen to this often while I'm working. I'll go days without listening to much of anything else while doing mindless work-related tasks. Then I'll step away for a few and move back to my regular listening. It happens in streaks.

Some of it's a bit corny.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

This explains your occasional curmudgeon 'tude. You're turning into Joe Bussard.

I have a couple collections of "old-timey" stuff, including one from Joe Bussard. Not too long ago I would have turned up my nose but as I get old the musical buffet gets bigger.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I was expecting some kind of Yankees Fight Song when I saw the subject line.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Vintage Popular Music and Jazz
    1925-1935

Almost.

I listen to this often while I'm working. I'll go days without listening to much of anything else while doing mindless work-related tasks. Then I'll step away for a few and move back to my regular listening. It happens in streaks.

Some of it's a bit corny.
    Could this relate to your love of silent films?
    The older I get, the better I was.

Good Afternoon ~

Fantastic topic! Indeed I understand the 'buffet' concept Jerjo suggested.

Was NetFlixing A Pee Wee Herman movie last week, have seen the movie before, but during this viewing the music really caught my attention. Next thing I knew, nosing around on YouTube, there is a soundtrack recording of that film. Off I go to Amazon to see what's available.... I do think I'll be ordering soon!

Interesting for sure, this wonderful musical journey! Hey ronmac…. no way be embarrassed!

Carry On
    Chris Buckley
    Last edited by winkersnufs; 03-07-2019 at 02:53 PM.

I listen to tons of stuff from 1925-1935, but I try and avoid the really overwhelmingly sentimental type stuff.

If you are interested I will list some favorites for you to hear (I would guess it's all on youtube, etc).

Start with Tiny Parham (1928-30), Luis Russell (1926-29) and Duke Ellington (1927-29).
    Last edited by Steve F.; 03-07-2019 at 03:09 PM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Great music, I love it. I'm also a fan of Big Band music.
    When I was growing up I used to listen to it in my room. Slowly I gravitated towards Rock Around The Clock and early rock.
    I love watching those old black and white movies, and a lot of time they'll have stuff like this in the soundtrack.

btw, he said "almost" embarassed, which is totally different than being embarrassed.
    It's kind of like saying I almost robbed a bank as opposed to I robbed a bank...
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

I'm almost embarrassed to say I listen to this

Boxcar Willie. I just love the guy's music.
    Truck driving music: Dale Watson, Dick Curless, Bill Kirchen, Moe Bandy, Red Simpson, Dave Dudley, etc.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    This explains your occasional curmudgeon 'tude.
    Hey, fuck you!

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    Could this relate to your love of silent films?
    Not particularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I listen to tons of stuff from 1925-1935, but I try and avoid the really overwhelmingly sentimental type stuff.

If you are interested I will list some favorites for you to hear (I would guess it's all on youtube, etc).

Start with Tiny Parham (1928-30), Luis Russell (1926-29) and Duke Ellington (1927-29).
    Yeah, I much prefer the pre-War jazz and blues to most of the stuff on this station. The more embryonic, the better. Like I said, some of it gets corny, but it makes good background music. And all the good free pre-War streaming sites I used to listen to are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Great music, I love it. I'm also a fan of Big Band music.
    Big Band has too much polish for my taste. Too white, if you know what I mean.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Big Band has too much polish for my taste. Too white, if you know what I mean.
    sometimes my Dutch/English/eastern European heritage gets the best of me.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    It sounds like a Woody Allen movie.

There's a new low-power station here in Austin playing Radio Dismuke; I can only pick it up on the north side of town, but I love it!! Only wish they wouldn't attenuate the high frequencies so much, I'd rather hear it scratches and all instead of all muffled...

Quote Originally Posted by soundsweird View Post
    There's a new low-power station here in Austin playing Radio Dismuke; I can only pick it up on the north side of town, but I love it!! Only wish they wouldn't attenuate the high frequencies so much, I'd rather hear it scratches and all instead of all muffled...
    You can stream it.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Check out The Big Broadcast on Spotify. It was a great radio show on a local public radio station. Great "vintage" music.

One of my favourite periodes for popular music.
    Another great compilation,
    Anthology of American Folkmusic (1927-32) released on Folkways
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anth...can_Folk_Music
    Dieter Moebius : "Art people like things they don’t understand!"

I used to listen to a streaming station called Venerable Radio which no longer exists. It was like some guy went to every flea market and bought every 78RPM he could find and digitized it. The station was totally random. In one sitting, you would hear anything from pre-War jazz and blues, to Eastern Chants, to grandma singing an old folk song in her living room in the 1920s, to 30s pop and swing, to Southern Baptist church sermons, to Hawaiian traditional folk, to anything else you could think of. It was totally off-the-wall and more of a curiosity than anything. But, I found it highly entertaining. It drove my wife nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Check out The Big Broadcast on Spotify. It was a great radio show on a local public radio station. Great "vintage" music.
    Is that the same as this?

https://wamu.org/show/the-big-broadcast/

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I think so, except the guy who originally hosted the show passed away a few years back. I'm not sure I've heard anything with this newer host. Some CDs of the original show were released, and that's what's on Spotify (minus the host's banter I think).

I'm pretty sure some of the actual shows were archived online somewhere, because it had a good following. I'll see what I can dig up.

EDIT: Here's some info - still digging. The Facebook group is useful as I recall - there are some people doing shows sort of modeled on the original one.

http://www.wfuv.org/content/big-broadcast

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I think so, except the guy who originally hosted the show passed away a few years back. I'm not sure I've heard anything with this newer host. Some CDs of the original show were released, and that's what's on Spotify (minus the host's banter I think).

I'm pretty sure some of the actual shows were archived online somewhere, because it had a good following. I'll see what I can dig up.

EDIT: Here's some info - still digging. The Facebook group is useful as I recall - there are some people doing shows sort of modeled on the original one.

http://www.wfuv.org/content/big-broadcast
    I just got a little taste of it from a brief listen. I can see myself tuning in once in a while. But a lot of it is too late. Even with Radio Dismuke, I listen in spurts.

I'd much rather listen to something less-polished, even embryonic. And I mean some is very early stuff, if I can find it. There was a GREAT blues stream called Weenie Juke Radio that played all the classic 20s and 30s recordings. They don't stream anymore. I guess there are others still out there, but I can't say I've looked very hard.

This site has been up for along time and still has mp3s of very old stuff. You could make a nice collection here. It's all in the public domain, I presume.

Pre-War Blues

You ever hear Down in the Basement: Joe Bussard's Treasure Trove of Vintage 78s? It's OOP but MP3s are out there (which would drive Joe fucking nuts!)
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

"I'm almost embarrassed to say I listen to this"
    Prog Rock. Of any sort, from neo to RIO.

Nothing anyone else has listed in this thread is anything to be embarrassed about - in fact virtually all of it is considered a sign of extra-good musical taste. But being a prog fan is not. It is, in fact, usually considered a sign of bad musical taste for my generation, as opposed to Classic Rock (decent taste), or singer-songwriter (good taste), or roots music (excellent taste). For the generation ahead of mine, substitute punk, grunge, and New Wave for Classic Rock in the "decent taste" column. For the one ahead of that, add hip-hop in the "good taste" column.

You wanted to know what I was embarrassed about, and that's it.

It's Not Unusual....

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    Prog Rock. Of any sort, from neo to RIO.

Nothing anyone else has listed in this thread is anything to be embarrassed about - in fact virtually all of it is considered a sign of extra-good musical taste. But being a prog fan is not. It is, in fact, usually considered a sign of bad musical taste for my generation, as opposed to Classic Rock (decent taste), or singer-songwriter (good taste), or roots music (excellent taste). For the generation ahead of mine, substitute punk, grunge, and New Wave for Classic Rock in the "decent taste" column. For the one ahead of that, add hip-hop in the "good taste" column.

You wanted to know what I was embarrassed about, and that's it.
    That's pretty silly. You're going to let an ignorant band of muffleheads tell you what is good taste and what isn't? I can make a full-throated defense of Prog-Rock, and argue that it is superior to most other music forms. The fact that no one has done so yet allows the idiots to think that they're speaking unassailable truth. They're not.

Think for yourself.

Fats Waller
    Check out the complete recordings on JSP.

Duke Ellington Blanton/Webster Band