Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Genesis- Calling All Stations

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Finally heard this recently. Got a copy...

Seems like a good rainy day album.

Any thoughts on this one?

Did anyone seriously like it?

Seems a little unfinished sounding to my ears.
    http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...lling+Stations

10 pages filled and still fresh
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    "Alien Afternoon," "The Dividing Line," "Uncertain Weather," and especially "One Man's Fool" are great, in my opinion. I'm actually a bit astonished more people DON'T like "One Man's Fool," but que sera sera.

I like "Small Talk," so sue me, but it's not the best thing they ever did. I used to like the title song a lot but I've cooled to it more now.

The rest is okay to passable; only "If That's What You Need" is tiresome to me.
    Pretty much ditto for me. 'There Must Be Some Other Way' has a nice mood and instrumental break as well. I don't get not liking 'One Man's Fool' either, there's a lot of feeling there. When the album came out I assumed it would do really well-the feeling was there, and their pop phase had pretty much become passé so the darker approach fit the times. My daughter, who was like 11, and her friends loved it. But I've learned, you can never predict, and often can't even explain who likes what and why.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    "Alien Afternoon," "The Dividing Line," "Uncertain Weather," and especially "One Man's Fool" are great, in my opinion. I'm actually a bit astonished more people DON'T like "One Man's Fool," but que sera sera.

I like "Small Talk," so sue me, but it's not the best thing they ever did. I used to like the title song a lot but I've cooled to it more now.

The rest is okay to passable; only "If That's What You Need" is tiresome to me.
    My lawyers will be talking to your lawyers. "Small Talk" didn't need to be on there especially since other songs were left off. I think I'm one of the few who think "Congo" is pretty strong. "There Must Be Some Other Way" is also good but then the similar sounding "If that's What's You Need" should have been left off.

Calling All Stations 5:45 (not that great)
    Congo 3:50
    Alien Afternoon 7:55
    The Dividing Line 7:45
    There Must Be Some Other Way 7:55
    One Man's Fool 8:50
    --------------------------------------
    ~ 42:00 - about the same length as Genesis and Invisible Touch
    Last edited by yamishogun; 03-07-2019 at 12:12 PM.

I have a soft spot for “If That’s What You Need”, played the track at my wedding and many people asked me who was singing. It’s cheesy and a typical love song, but it’s a favorite of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Flightwave View Post
    I have a soft spot for “If That’s What You Need”, played the track at my wedding and many people asked me who was singing. It’s cheesy and a typical love song, but it’s a favorite of mine.
    I'd say much better than a typical love song. I just think it is too similar to a couple of other tracks on CAS.

I have a soft spot for Shipwrecked. Overall, I think it's a solid record. The fade outs are odd, but other than that it's pretty good. I've been thinking about having it on again as well. Been a while since I spun it.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I was all ready for the Ottawa show in 97 and was disappointed with the cancellation.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    ~ 42:00 - about the same length as Genesis and Invisible Touch
    While I like CAS as a whole, your condensed version and comparison to G and IT is very interesting!
    Chad

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Would you (anyone here, that is) include any of the b-sides with yamishogun's tracklist?

1. Papa He Said (4:09)
    2. Banjo Man (4:22)
    3. Phret (4:05)
    4. 7/8 (5:13)
    5. Anything Now (7:03)
    6. Sign Your Life Away (4:45)
    7. Run Out of Time (6:36)
    8. Nowhere Else to Turn (4:35)
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Would you (anyone here, that is) include any of the b-sides with yamishogun's tracklist?
    7/8 and Sign Your Life Away for me. But more importantly, Uncertain Weather.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    7/8 and Sign Your Life Away for me. But more importantly, Uncertain Weather.
    "Uncertain Weather" works and would bring it to the length of most Genesis albums.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Sean, this is really the first time you've heard it? Or you are pulling our legs?

Uncertain Weather is the best track IMO.
    I was so turned off by IT and WCD I didn't even bother with this one. So yeah, first time I've heard it. Congo is the catchiest track, only hook I can remember.

Definitely, 'Run Out of Time' is as good as anything on the album I think, and 'Anything Now' has a cool instrumental passage. 'Phret' and 'Banjo Man' were cool tracks too, but 7/8 is obviously unfinished. Of course 'Dividing Line' sounds unfinished to me too. The live in Poland, it's much better with Mike and the guy from Clannad trading guitar solos. 'Nowhere Else to Turn' seems like a waste to me, and as meaningless to me personally as 'Never a Time' or 'I Can't Dance'.

I really like this....MUCH better than the previous 2 releases as a whole.....Really thought they were heading back in the right direction. I think the problem was most Phil followers that liked the pop songs they had been doing couldn’t relate and the Peter followers never really gave it a chance.....plus from what I recall, there was hardly any support from the label. Too bad too....I think it was a very balanced album that reminded me of the early pastoral period of Genesis....
    So much music....so little time....

Quote Originally Posted by flatliner View Post
    I really like this....MUCH better than the previous 2 releases as a whole.....Really thought they were heading back in the right direction. I think the problem was most Phil followers that liked the pop songs they had been doing couldn’t relate and the Peter followers never really gave it a chance.....plus from what I recall, there was hardly any support from the label. Too bad too....I think it was a very balanced album that reminded me of the early pastoral period of Genesis....
    I remember at the time, many new Genesis fans referred to them as Phil Collins with Genesis, or Phil's band Genesis.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by flatliner View Post
    Yep exactly. It's a very mood heavy album, rather than technique and things that are overtly impressive on the surface. The strong mood carries throughout the album, and if one doesn't catch the mood... I remember requesting a song from it, and the radio stations wouldn't play it.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I know there were US tour dates that were cancelled (or was the whole US tour cancelled?), but does anyone know what venue(s) were scheduled for NYC or nearby? Had they initially booked MSG or something like that?
    I remember an ad in the New York Times very soon after the album's release for an arena show, which I vaguely remember as Madison Square Garden, but it may have been one of the other New York shows on the list from that Waiting Room article.

Banjo Man is the best of the group, that should have made the LP. Run out of Time and Nowhere Else to Turn are also very good tunes. Phret and 7/8 in particular could really have been worked into great tunes.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Yep exactly. It's a very mood heavy album, rather than technique and things that are overtly impressive on the surface. The strong mood carries throughout the album, and if one doesn't catch the mood... I remember requesting a song from it, and the radio stations wouldn't play it.
    Were you calling all stations to get it played?

CAS cancelled arena dates

Albany NY Pepsi Arena 05.11.97
    Pittsburgh PA Civic Centre 07.11.97
    Buffalo NY Marine Midland Arena 08.11.97
    Penn State Bryce Jordan Arena 11.11.97
    Grand Rapids OH Edwin Nutter Centre 12.11.97
    Detroit MI Palace of Auburn Hills 14.11.97
    Cleveland OH Gund Arena 15.11.97
    Madison WI Dane County Exposition Centre 18.11.97
    Milwaukee WI Bradley Centre 19.11.97
    St Louis MI Kiel Centre 21.11.97
    Chicago ILL Rosemont Horizon 22.11.97
    Ottawa Corel Centre 25.11.97
    Toronto Maple Leaf Gardens 27.11.97
    Montreal Molson Centre 28.11.97
    Philadelphia Corestate Centre 5-6.12.97
    Boston Fleet Centre 09.12.97
    Hartford Civic Centre 11.12.97
    Long Island Nassau Coliseum 12.12.97
    Landover USAir Arena 13.12.97
    Miami Arena 18.12.97
    Orlando Arena 19.12.97
    Tampa Ice Palace 21.12.97

CAS cancelled theater dates, after the tour was scaled down due to album sales

Milwaukee Riverside Theatre 05.11.97
    Normal Braden Auditorium 08.11.97
    Chicago Rosemont Theatre 09.11.97
    St Louis Fox Theatre 12.11.97
    Auburn Hills Palace of Auburn Hills 14.11.97
    Columbus Veterans Memorial Auditorium 15.11.97
    Toronto Hummingbird Centre 17 - 18.11.97
    Ottawa Civic Centre Theatre 21.11.97
    New York Beacon Theatre 23 - 24.11.97
    Montreal Molson Centre Theatre 28.11.97
    Boston Orpheum Theatre 04.12.97
    Hartford Meadows Music Centre 06.12.97
    Philadelphia Tower Theatre 10-11.12.97
    Washington MCI Theatre 14.12.97
    Pittsburgh A J Palumbo Centre 15.12.97
    Grand Rapids Van Andel Arena 18.12.97
    Cleveland Music Hall 19-20.12.97

Source: http://www.twronline.net/issues/twr40/twr40_g18.htm
    Bloody hell, 21 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    Bloody hell, 21 years ago.
    Hard to believe. As much time has now passed since then as passed between Trespass and We Can't Dance...
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

"There Must Be Some Other Way" is one of the finest songs ever released under the Genesis name, IMO.

Time is a funny thing... CAS was only 5 years old by the time I bought it, and it felt like such a long time from 2002 to 1997.

The title track, 'Alien Afternoon' (well, the 2nd half), 'The Dividing Line', 'Uncertain Weather' and 'There Must Be Some Other Way' are the highlights- these are very good songs. 'Not About Us' is the best of the singles. Could live without the rest of it. Their weakest album IMHO. Even some of the best songs have questionable production and sound choices, for my taste.

Would a follow-up have been stronger? Possibly but the US response to CAS guaranteed that was a non-starter.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Could live without the rest of it. Their weakest album IMHO.
    You listed six songs, and I'd easily add "One Man's Fool." But IT and WCD each have one excellent long song and then a couple of pretty good songs. 25 minutes for IT; 20 minutes for WCD.

Definitely Genesis of a different stripe but I enjoy it. I thought it had a few really good pieces.

Calling it Genesis didn't do CAS any favors but had this been a new group they might have gotten more traction or at least CAS would be remembered more fondly all these years later.