Thread: RiP Doug Sandom - Drummer of the Detours....before the WHO

RiP Doug Sandom - Drummer of the Detours....before the WHO

Believe it or not....my 84yo Mother brought this to my attention......this is pulled from Wikipedia.....I find the Who-connection dubious as he left during the name change.

Douglas Sandom (often misspelled Sanden; 26 February 1930, Greenford, England – 27 February 2019) was an English drummer who was the first drummer for the rock band The Who.

Music career

During the infancy of the band's career, while they were playing as the Detours (around mid-1962), Sandom, a bricklayer, joined as drummer. However, while the other members of the band were in their late teens, Sandom was already in his early thirties, and the difference in age caused problems in the band. His wife also objected to him staying out at all hours of the night.[1] In February 1964, the band discovered that there was another group called the Detours. On Valentine's Day 1964, they changed their name to the Who.[2]

When the band secured, but failed, an audition with Fontana Records in early 1964, the label's producer, Chris Parmeinter, said he didn't like Sandom's drumming. The band's then manager, Helmut Gordon, and lead guitarist Pete Townshend agreed, and Townshend suggested to the other members of the band, Roger Daltrey and John Entwistle, that Sandom leave the band. Sandom gave a month's notice, and left in April.[3]

Within a month of Sandom's departure, Keith Moon was hired after he approached the band at one of their gigs and told them he could play better than the session drummer they had hired to fill the vacancy left by Sandom. No recordings with Sandom playing with the band were ever released. On his departure from the group, Sandom said, "I wasn't so ambitious as the rest of them. I'd done it longer than what they had. Of course, I loved it. It was very nice to be part of a band that people followed, it was great. But I didn't get on well with Peter Townshend. I was a few years older than he was, and he thought I should pack it in more or less because of that. I thought I was doing all right with the band, we never got slung out of nowhere, we always passed our auditions."[4] According to Townshend's book Who I Am, Sandom was hurt by Townshend's comments that he should leave as a few months earlier, when the Who had failed an audition because a record executive thought Pete Townshend was "gangly, noisy, and ugly", Sandom had defended Townshend.

Death

Sandom died on 27 February 2019, one day after his 89th birthday.[where?][5]
    Last edited by Garyhead; 03-06-2019 at 10:05 PM.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

RIP. Read about it last week. Didn't know the Who had a drummer before Keith Moon.

RIP, The Who's Pete Best.

Jeffrey Nadrich
    Last edited by powderedtoastman; 09-25-2019 at 06:26 PM.