Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Albums Of 2012: non-prog edition

Haven't bought much non-Prog this year, but I did pick up the Skynyrd album and was quite pleasantly surprised.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Golden Earring - Tits 'n Ass
    Rev Peyton's Big Damn Band - Between The Ditches
    Brian Setzer - Rockabilly Riot: Live From the Planet
    The Sword - Apocryphon
    Reverend Horton Heat - 25 to Life
    The Doors - Live at the Bowl '68
    Paul McCartney - Kisses on the Bottom
    Los Straitjackets - Jet Set
    Last edited by davis; 12-17-2012 at 02:52 PM.

The Producers
    Coldplay
    The Script
    Example

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    This is the non prog edition. So, Rush and Threshold should not be on your list.
    Rush has not made a prog album since I was in my early teens. I am 43 now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim35 View Post

Bad-a-boom crash!!!

This might be a bit of an over-statement, but in itself, I can't dispute that too much
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Haven't had the time yet to do any Best Of 2012 compiling but in the nonprog section these four will certainly end up high:

Gretchen Peters - Hello Cruel Word
    Kathleen Edwards - Voyageur
    Treacherous Orchestra - Origins
    Mumford And Sons - Babel

Yep, most of my listening time this year has been spent in the folky / Americana corner. Gretchen's album certainly is one of my most played albums, damn, what a great songwriter.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ItalProgRules View Post
    Haven't bought much non-Prog this year, but I did pick up the Skynyrd album and was quite pleasantly surprised.
    I've been wanting to get Last Of A Dying Breed, especially since Johnny Colt(ex-The Black Crowes and Train) is now Skynyrd's bassist.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Deano View Post
    Rival Sons - Head Down
    I got this CD today at Best Buy, and it's pretty killer. I'd call it modern blues rock with a gospel twist.

Shearwater, Animal Joy

Amanda Palmer, Theatre is Evil

Bob Mould, Silver Age

The Tea Party, Live from Australia

Alister Spence Trio, Far Flung

The Bryan Ferry Orchestra, The Jazz Age

Les discrets, Ariettes oubliees

Nik Bartsch's Ronin, Live

Laura Marling, Live from York Minster

Pat Metheny, Unity Band

Mike Nock & Laurenz Pike, Kindred

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Agreed. Rush is not a prog band.

My 2012 album of the year was probably "The Seer" by Swans. I did like the new GYBE album, too, but I feel like I need to hear it more.

No idea, I stopped buying new albums a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    Agreed. Rush is not a prog band. My 2012 album of the year was probably "The Seer" by Swans. I did like the new GYBE album, too, but I feel like I need to hear it more.
    +1. Both the recent Swans and GY!BE are actually more in line with progressive rock as well as "Prog" than Rush. I think Rush are a solid band, but again I agree - they're not "prog" (anymore) and they certainly don't need to be in order for them to be good.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    +1. Both the recent Swans and GY!BE are actually more in line with progressive rock as well as "Prog" than Rush. I think Rush are a solid band, but again I agree - they're not "prog" (anymore) and they certainly don't need to be in order for them to be good.
    I agree, but I disagree with what many people on PE call prog like Dream Theater, Spock's Beard, Flower Kings, etc.. To my ears those bands are not doing anything new, so by PE consensus definition, Rush is somewhat prog.

I also agree that the best post-rock bands (Labraford, GSY!BE, Tortoise, earlier Sigur Ros, Isotope 217, Chicago Underground, etc.) and I would add some electronic groups (Autechre, Aphex Twin, Squarepusher, Boards of Canada) are the prog of the 00's. I'm not really sure what is 'progressive' now though?

Quote Originally Posted by Wisdomview View Post
    I agree, but I disagree with what many people on PE call prog like Dream Theater, Spock's Beard, Flower Kings, etc.. To my ears those bands are not doing anything new, so by PE consensus definition, Rush is somewhat prog. I also agree that the best post-rock bands (Labraford, GSY!BE, Tortoise, earlier Sigur Ros, Isotope 217, Chicago Underground, etc.) and I would add some electronic groups (Autechre, Aphex Twin, Squarepusher, Boards of Canada) are the prog of the 00's. I'm not really sure what is 'progressive' now though?
    I see what you mean, and I'm in perfect harmony with your qualitative judgment. For contemporary progressive rock music as such, try Secret Chiefs 3, Extra Life, Zs, (some) Kayo Dot, Upsilon Acrux, Ahleuchatistas, (some) Cheer-Accident, (some) Jack O' the Clock or a number of other acts that will likely never be heard, enjoyed or "grasped" by many followers of "traditional" progressive rock (or "Prog" as it's referred to).
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Word.
    I've been in a jazz time warp as of late; I'll definitely have to check out some of those groups you mentioned. Thanks.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I see what you mean, and I'm in perfect harmony with your qualitative judgment. For contemporary progressive rock music as such, try Secret Chiefs 3, Extra Life, Zs, (some) Kayo Dot, Upsilon Acrux, Ahleuchatistas, (some) Cheer-Accident, (some) Jack O' the Clock or a number of other acts that will likely never be heard, enjoyed or "grasped" by many followers of "traditional" progressive rock (or "Prog" as it's referred to).
    Nice list of bands, I like a bunch of those, I'd add Mirthkon, Yugen, Herd Of Instincts & The Nerve Institute.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.