Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Progday wishlish

Rabbit Rabbir
    Miriodor

Please

Yowie

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    That's so far out of their budget it isn't even conceivable.
    which, if we go back to the original post, violates rule number 2.

That's so far out of their budget it isn't even conceivable.
    Really? I'm not knowledgeable on the subject, so I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just surprised to find out that they would bring that much more than some of the bands I've seen at ProgDay...Focus, Wishbone Ash, Pain of Salvation, Ozric Tentacles, even the Flower Kings...I would have figured they would have been more or less in line with some of those acts. Interesting.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter" - Yoda

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanukisbrave View Post
    Rabbit Rabbit
    Miriodor

Please
    Quote Originally Posted by progholio View Post
    Yowie
    Heaven

Quote Originally Posted by Farpoint Kevin View Post
    I have to second Big Big Train.
    Two more? Hmm...naturally I'm going to lean more towards the vocal-oriented stuff...(ProgDay '98 was my favorite!)

Neal Morse maybe?

Glass Hammer

Hell
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Heaven

Hell
    To each his (or her) own. Personally, I can usually find something to enjoy in just about all of the styles and sounds that fit somewhere under the wonderfully diverse "prog" umbrella.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter" - Yoda

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Quote Originally Posted by Kanukisbrave View Post
    Rabbit Rabbir
    Miriodor

Please
    miriodor would be awful...but only because it is looking unlikely that i'll be able to make it this year.

Really? I'm not knowledgeable on the subject, so I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just surprised to find out that they would bring that much more than some of the bands I've seen at ProgDay...Focus, Wishbone Ash, Pain of Salvation, Ozric Tentacles, even the Flower Kings...I would have figured they would have been more or less in line with some of those acts. Interesting.
    I think the festival lost money much more often in those early years.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Ozric Tentacles
    4 people from Colorado

Wishbone Ash
    I believe that Wishbone Ash were already on tour in the USA and this was just 'another US date' in terms of cost to ProgDay.

Keep in mind that:
    1. BBT are from England
    2. BBT are a 8 or 9 piece band
    3. BBT don't regularly tour
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    To each his (or her) own. Personally, I can usually find something to enjoy in just about all of the styles and sounds that fit somewhere under the wonderfully diverse "prog" umbrella.

Oh yeah, I'm just messing with you and sticking with my given profile
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Banned
    Henry Cow Reunion
    Gentle Giant Reunion
    VDGG with Peter Jackson
    Frank Zappa sitting on the toilet Hologram accompanied by the Tuned Flatulence Orchestra

Just don't book a band that sounds like road traffic or a penitentiary riot, I'll be bringing a young child with me.
    Last edited by Shadow; 06-24-2019 at 08:31 PM.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

I believe that Wishbone Ash were already on tour in the USA and this was just 'another US date' in terms of cost to ProgDay.

Keep in mind that:
    1. BBT are from England
    2. BBT are a 8 or 9 piece band
    3. BBT don't regularly tour
    Yup, W.A. was a case of perfect timing and all the stars happening to line up for it to happen. They were on tour and the date happened to fit. The fact that Andy Powell's son happened to be going to school in the area also did not hurt. They ended up doing the show for less than their normal fee too.

BBT would mean Big Big money. As Steve says, just bringing that many people over here from various points in Europe would cost an arm and a leg, not counting visas, hotels, food, incidentals and heaven forbid if they wanted to try to make a profit. No way would BBT be in ProgDay's budget range. Of course with BBT one of the biggest factors would be just finding a time that all of the members are free at the same time since they are all involved in so many other projects, the logistics of them doing live shows can be one of the biggest hurdles.

Kevin, one factor for most of the bands you mention is that you’re talking about gigs that were a long time ago. Those prices just don’t work anymore. For instance, when Focus played, the first thing that Van Leer said to me as he walked off the stage was that they wanted to come back to play the next year. It was actually two or three years later when I tried to book them again, but even with the band wanting to play, in that short time their fee increased to 2.5 times more than before and way out of my budget. It’s my understanding that the Flower Kings now cost 3-4 times what ProgDay has paid in the past. I’m sure the same would be true of Pain of Salvation.

Not only that, but ProgDay in the past was hand-to-mouth and year-to-year, where you weren't sure if it was going to be happening the next year. In large part this was due to the well-intentioned but misguided idea that ProgDay needed to "grow" and that the only way to do that was to book "bigger" bands that cost more money. As a result, ProgDay was often paying out more to bands than they could recoup in revenue and taking a loss. When I eventually took over control of the festival budget, the first thing I did to make ProgDay sustainable was to balance the budget. I took the amount of money the festival lost the previous year and subtracted it from the amount we paid the bands (unfortunately what we pay bands is the only part of the budget over which we have any control). That became the new band budget for the festival. It was about 35% less than before and the festival has since been financially successful when it stays within those budget parameters. So by necessity the budgets now are smaller than they used to be and are based on the previous year's attendance.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Yup, W.A. was a case of perfect timing and all the stars happening to line up for it to happen. They were on tour and the date happened to fit. The fact that Andy Powell's son happened to be going to school in the area also did not hurt. They ended up doing the show for less than their normal fee too.
    I think it happened because Andy's son was in Chapel Hill. When I contacted them, they already had a tour worked out. To make ProgDay happen, the band had to sleep in the airport to catch the plane to NC in the morning, and as you say, they played the gig for less than they normally would get. I feel sure the only reason they put themselves through that was so that Andy could visit his son.

Quote Originally Posted by Miciah View Post

I think it happened because Andy's son was in Chapel Hill. When I contacted them, they already had a tour worked out. To make ProgDay happen, the band had to sleep in the airport to catch the plane to NC in the morning, and as you say, they played the gig for less than they normally would get. I feel sure the only reason they put themselves through that was so that Andy could visit his son.
    Yup, they played in Houston Texas the night before, caught a late night flight out to Atlanta, spent the wee hours in the Atlanta airport, then a morning flight to RDU. Came straight from RDU to Storybook Farm, plugged in and kicked ass in the rain. Talk about professional road dogs!

You know, I don't need to see any big acts. Much of the time, the unknowns that PD does a good job of finding are just as good.

Osanna (with or without David Jaxon guesting on sax)
    Esmerine (or anybody else on Constellation)
    Gong
    Daniel Lanois

Quote Originally Posted by Lino View Post
    Gong
    out of their price range, unless they just happen to be touring the USA at that point with an open date.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Yeah, I think they are touring here, but won't be til spring 2020...iirc...if it actually pans out.

At this point I am wishing for bands that I have not yet seen.
    Selfish, perhaps.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    At this point I am wishing for bands that I have not yet seen.
    Selfish, perhaps.
    which was (bonus) rule 4 for this game.

just saying...

Ken (who is still annoyed that he probably will not be attending, and so is now, spitefully, hoping for a bunch of bands he hates. just kidding)

Quote Originally Posted by kenschwartz View Post
    which was (bonus) rule 4 for this game.

just saying...

Ken (who is still annoyed that he probably will not be attending, and so is now, spitefully, hoping for a bunch of bands he hates. just kidding)
    I was late to the festival thing, started in 2012 due to mostly footdragging.
    I missed so many bands.
    While I wish for a time machine at times, I don't get hung up on seeing bands that used to be and now aren't.
    Some of my favorite memories of the festivals since '12 are new-ish younger bands.

I'd love to see Djam Karet at ProgDay.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    It's been a LONG time since they were there. That's a good suggestion.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I was going to put that out there as well, they have a new album you know.