Thread: PFM Live in London, March 2019

PFM Live in London, March 2019

I saw PFM tonight in London. I had wondered how the new line-up (particularly with the departure of Mussida a few years ago) would work out. I was hoping to see more reviews of their recent Cruise To The Edge performance(s), but only caught a passing reference that someone posted on the web.

Anyway, I enjoyed the show more than I expected. Di Cioccio, Djivas, and Fabbri were all in fine form. The concert was at a ULU Live, a venue in central London with a capacity of around 850. It was mostly full, with the typical 70s prog rock demographic: mostly old and mostly male. There were a lot of Italian speakers, not too surprising given the expat population in London.

The ~2-hour set started with a lot of songs from their first 3 albums, followed by 2 songs from their new album, Emotional Tatoos, and then followed by an eclectic mix of songs, including at least one from Chocolate Kings, an inspired version of Promenade the Puzzle, a version of Romeo and Juliet from 'PFM In Classic', and closing (as expected) with Celebration.

They have a new singer who takes the place for Mussida's vocals and some that Di Cioccio used to do. The new guitarist and keyboard players were both excellent. There was a second drummer who I'm pretty certain was Roberto Gualdi, who I had thought left the group a few years back. Di Cioccio and Gualdi did a really fun dueling drum solo during Celebration.

I kind of doubt that I'll have an opportunity to see them again, so I'm glad that I attended their London show.

Glad it was a good show. I couldn't really catch them on CTTE because they conflicted with two of my seated shows (anyone with the red seating had that issue). It is rare for this big a conflict to happen, but it did and the only thing I caught was Celebration to end one of their sets. I did hear good things from a few people who caught them.

Shame I missed last Saturday in London, but it sounds very similar to last years show, which I thoroughly enjoyed. I definitely recommend anybody who gets an opportunity to see them goes along.

I was also at the show in London and thoroughly enjoyed the show. Curiously I caught Marco’s gtr pick at the end.
    The venue at ULU was great.

I was there, really enjoyed it, A very similar set to the one they played last time they were in London and I think they were in even better form this time.
    Tu veux un camembert?