Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The soundtrack of your life - albums that remind you of golden days

When I was a kid 45's and the radio were all most of us had... So when I found one of those Time Life 70's series in a used bin for $2 a piece I snapped up all 10 of them. For long car rides / vacation etc. that's the one go to for my wife and I. There's tons of those "collections" available nowadays I see them in the used bin all the time.
    '70's.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    The first time I heard Love's Forever Changes, I commented to my then wife, "I have a new favorite album and one from which to measure everything else".

52 years later nothing has replaced it and it remains my favorite album of all time.
    Hey Steve, I feel the same way about the Byrds' Notorious Byrd Brothers album. It's my measuring stick.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Mothers Of Invention We're Only In It For The Money
    The Beatles Sgt. Pepper
    The Who Tommy
    Jesus Christ Superstar OST
    Chicago Chicago II
    Yes Fragile
    ELP Tarkus
    Pink Floyd Dark Side Of The Moon
    Jethro Tull Thick As A Brick
    Led Zeppelin Led Zeppelin II

I had a really good childhood.
    The Prog Corner

Blue Cheer- Vincebus Eruptum
    Jefferson Airplane- Surrealistic Pillow
    Jimi Hendrix Experience- Are You Experienced
    John Coltrane- Selflessness
    MC5- Live
    Grateful Dead- First
    Pink Floyd- Piper at the Gates of Dawn
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    The first time I heard Love's Forever Changes, I commented to my then wife, "I have a new favorite album and one from which to measure everything else".

52 years later nothing has replaced it and it remains my favorite album of all time.
    At that time I had an older sister who brought home 45's and I used to play them, not albums. I got heavily into the doors because she brought so many of their 45's home. Years later I had read that Jim Morrison said that Love was his favorite band. That's when I bought Forever Changes and was blown away. I think that album came out right before the Doors self titled debut. I kind of missed the boat on when that came out though.

^

I thought I heard a story once where Neil Young was considering getting involved with Love but at the last minute bailed to start his solo career. I need to "google" it, but if I remember right, didn't he arrange a few songs on Forever Changes?

Quote Originally Posted by saucyjackstl View Post
    ^

I thought I heard a story once where Neil Young was considering getting involved with Love but at the last minute bailed to start his solo career. I need to "google" it, but if I remember right, didn't he arrange a few songs on Forever Changes?
    According to engineer Bruce Botnick, NY arranged one song, "The Daily Planet" on Forever Changes, BUT...NY denies this.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Banned
    So so many, but a few right off the top of my head that remind me of early university days and very specific events and moments with long gone friends and lovers (sob)

Reasons for Waiting - Jethro Tull
    I Woudn't Want To Be Like You - The Alan Parsons Project
    Within You and Without You - The Beatles
    Smega - Dying Cows With Putrid Not Praiseworthy Predation

Back around 1974, when I was around 14 or 15, I had this cool stereo Sansui integrated Amp with the matching Lime Green Tuner, a Pioneer PL-12D and some big no name speakers, my parents allowed me to "cork" one entire wall which at the time sounded really cool and I put up album covers with thumb-tacks (not thru the cover)> Anyway, this was the era of Bean-Bag chairs and I fondly recall sitting in my Bean Bag with head phones on listening to Amon Duul II: Tanz der Lemmings, Genesis Live and Dark Side of the Moon.

45 years later, the bean bag chair and the stereo is long gone, but I still have the albums....

Getting nostalgic....,

Circa 1974, sitting in my newly finished basement with fake wood paneling, Sony trinitron TV, Kerosene heater, Marantz stereo, Infinity speakers & Technics SLD2 turntable.

Black Sabbath spinning round the clock
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Getting nostalgic....,

Circa 1974, sitting in my newly finished basement with fake wood paneling, Sony trinitron TV, Kerosene heater, Marantz stereo, Infinity speakers & Technics SLD2 turntable.

Black Sabbath spinning round the clock
    Me Too!

1974....Parents having a house built.....Being the middle child, I never had my Own room! I had first choice of rooms so I chose the larger basement room. I was allowed to pre-wire it for stereo before the paneling was put up. Made four floor speakers out of Cherry and Radio Shack drivers in wood shop. Bought the Akai integrated with paper route money. On the wall was a Yes collage made up of photos etc..... Topographic Oceans was always playing.... FM station came on at 6PM playing full albums.....speakers propped up in the windows facing the back yard where I engaged in "forced labor" screeding rocks out of the dirt.....digging holes to dispose of the rocks.....all surreal but 45 years later...those old "pre 1975" Yes, Camel, ELP & Jethro Tull albums bring back these memories.....later that fall, I was introduced to "girls" and the whole vibe changed......
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Me Too!

1974....Parents having a house built.....Being the middle child, I never had my Own room! I had first choice of rooms so I chose the larger basement room. I was allowed to pre-wire it for stereo before the paneling was put up. Made four floor speakers out of Cherry and Radio Shack drivers in wood shop. Bought the Akai integrated with paper route money. On the wall was a Yes collage made up of photos etc..... Topographic Oceans was always playing.... FM station came on at 6PM playing full albums.....speakers propped up in the windows facing the back yard where I engaged in "forced labor" screeding rocks out of the dirt.....digging holes to dispose of the rocks.....all surreal but 45 years later...those old "pre 1975" Yes, Camel, ELP & Jethro Tull albums bring back these memories.....later that fall, I was introduced to "girls" and the whole vibe changed......
    In high school, I made my own speaker enclosures out of scrap wood paneling. The only thing holding them together was wood glue in the seams. They didn't sound half bad though. I wasn't able to take wood shop because my 2 electives were wasted on computer class, and electronics class. If only there was some way of making a living using computers.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

A lot of the magical moments in my life were defined by the music I heard.
    I still remember where I was when I heard some songs the very first time.
    19th Nervous Breakdown-in the back seat of Sylvia Kneisel's father's car coming back at night from her birthday party in grade 3 (and my first kiss).
    Thick as a Brick-hearing the strange music fading in and out of audibility as I tried my crystal radio for the first time at night
    Lucky Man-sitting on my roof in the wee hours as my cool neighbour came home and the synth solo was blasting from his car
    Hush-getting ready for school and hearing that wicked groove over my mom's transistor radio
    Immigrant Song-my buddies older brother giving us a test of his favorite band...wow
    So Sincere-late Saturday night and local station CKCU playing the live Gentle Giant stuff...literally changed my life