Thread: The 2019 NFL Discussion Thread

  1. #1951
    Proud Member since 2/2002 UnderAGlassMoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    187
    Quote Originally Posted by jglfan View Post
    Yeah, I thought of that too. The Titans, to get to the Superbowl, have/had to beat the Pats, Ravens and Chiefs. Similar to the Giants in 2008
    And they had to beat the Texans in the final game of the season to make the playoffs. If they get past KC, they will have beaten all four division winners in the AFC, all on the road. Pretty impressive.
    Eric: "What the hell Hutch, it's all Rush, what if we wanted a little variety?"

    Hutch: "Rush is variety, Bitch! Rule number one: in my van, its Rush! All Rush, all the time...no exceptions."

    From "Fanboys" 2009.

  2. #1952
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderAGlassMoon View Post
    And they had to beat the Texans in the final game of the season to make the playoffs. If they get past KC, they will have beaten all four division winners in the AFC, all on the road. Pretty impressive.
    Didn't the Texans roll over in that game. Another team getting in because teams with held players for the playoffs.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

  3. #1953
    Member Jack in Wilmington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Wilmington, De.
    Posts
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    GO SEAHAWKS!
    Go Home Seabags.

  4. #1954
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

  5. #1955
    Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Frownland
    Posts
    955
    Hoping for Packers Chiefs SB, but I don't anticipate it.
    No humor please, we're skittish.

    Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

  6. #1956
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Hoping for Packers Chiefs SB, but I don't anticipate it.
    Depends how much State Farm pays the NFL.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

  7. #1957
    ALL ACCESS Gruno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dio, Alabama
    Posts
    1,781
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Depends how much State Farm pays the NFL.
    Obviously State Farm paid more than the Ravens did.

  8. #1958
    Proud Member since 2/2002 UnderAGlassMoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    187
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Didn't the Texans roll over in that game. Another team getting in because teams with held players for the playoffs.
    They sure did and the Titans pounded them. I never understand why teams do this, especially against a division rival that you may see again in the playoffs. If they wouldn't have choked yesterday, they would be playing them again next week.
    Eric: "What the hell Hutch, it's all Rush, what if we wanted a little variety?"

    Hutch: "Rush is variety, Bitch! Rule number one: in my van, its Rush! All Rush, all the time...no exceptions."

    From "Fanboys" 2009.

  9. #1959
    Member Jerjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    small town in ND
    Posts
    4,030
    If SF's defense is as stout against Rodgers as they were against Cousins, the Pack don't stand a chance.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

  10. #1960
    cunning linguist 3LockBox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Posts
    1,716
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    If SF's defense is as stout against Rodgers as they were against Cousins, the Pack don't stand a chance.
    Cousins is no Roger's. Seahawks pass defense is a sieve. Every QB they've played this year have had respectable, if not stellar, outings. Rogers will have to play his best game of the year against SF this weekend.

  11. #1961
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I don't think Graham made the first down on that third down play towards the end of the game.
    Thing about that was the cgi line was a little off so he may have actually gotten it. Would have been just a couple of inches if he really didn't and that should have been an easy pick up.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

  12. #1962
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    2,951
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I actually think Tannihill is better than Dilfer was and I don't think the Titans D is as good as the 2000 Ravens D, not for entire season anyway. They're peaking at the best time to peak.

    Funny enough though, the 2000 Titans were the class of the NFL that year and looked poised to return to the Superbowl but unfortunately their kryptonite was the Ravens.
    The 2000 Ravens never had to deal with an offense like the Lamar offense, although the Lamar offense was weakened by the injury to Ingram. The 2000 Ravens offense was underrated. Dilfer was the ideal quarterback for deterministic muscle football, based on running and defense.

    Ed, you pointed out the 4th down stupidity of the Ravens. I think that this is what happened when overrated sports analysis has too much input. So the Ravens characterized the probability of 4th down success, however the decision problem is more appropriately modeled as a Risk problem. Risk = Probability of success times benefit of success - probability of failure * cost of turnover. Clearly even if prob. of success > prob. of failure, the cost of failure is too high if the opponent is strong. The better the opponent is, the more risk. I know this is simplistic, but apparently not as stupid simple as the decision process employed by the Ravensí coaches.
    Art is parasitic on life, just as criticism is parasitic on art.
    Harry S Truman

  13. #1963
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    The 2000 Ravens never had to deal with an offense like the Lamar offense, although the Lamar offense was weakened by the injury to Ingram. The 2000 Ravens offense was underrated. Dilfer was the ideal quarterback for deterministic muscle football, based on running and defense.

    Ed, you pointed out the 4th down stupidity of the Ravens. I think that this is what happened when overrated sports analysis has too much input. So the Ravens characterized the probability of 4th down success, however the decision problem is more appropriately modeled as a Risk problem. Risk = Probability of success times benefit of success - probability of failure * cost of turnover. Clearly even if prob. of success > prob. of failure, the cost of failure is too high if the opponent is strong. The better the opponent is, the more risk. I know this is simplistic, but apparently not as stupid simple as the decision process employed by the Ravens’ coaches.
    I looked at the stats of that game and either Harbaugh is the dumbest fucking coach to coach in the NFL or someone paid them to lose. Their game plan was exactly the opposite of what it would take to win the game. The Ravens have a running quarterback and they have him pass the ball 59 times. The Ravens have a back almost as big and just as powerful as Henry and they run him 3 times for 20 yards and never use him again. The Titans were ranked 16th on run defense, so you run the ball, run the ball and run the ball. Something really doesn't seem right the way the Ravens approached this game. If they run the ball they easily win this game.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

  14. #1964
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    2,951
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I looked at the stats of that game and either Harbaugh is the dumbest fucking coach to coach in the NFL or someone paid them to lose. Their game plan was exactly the opposite of what it would take to win the game. The Ravens have a running quarterback and they have him pass the ball 59 times. The Ravens have a back almost as big and just as powerful as Henry and they run him 3 times for 20 yards and never use him again. The Titans were ranked 16th on run defense, so you run the ball, run the ball and run the ball. Something really doesn't seem right the way the Ravens approached this game. If they run the ball they easily win this game.
    Well Maryland is big on casinos and sports betting. Just think how many people bet on the Ravens and how much money they lost. Maryland is hurting because they have scared people out of there. The casino money could go a long way in the short term. However, the Ravens should be able to come back provided they havenít pawned the farm to buy free agents.
    Art is parasitic on life, just as criticism is parasitic on art.
    Harry S Truman

  15. #1965
    facetious maximus Yves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,585
    I thought Jackson totally regressed to the QB who couldn't hit the side of a barn. Maybe just a case of having a bad game at the worse possible time.

    Picks:

    Niners- 24
    Packers- 21

    Chiefs- 35
    Titans-21
    (after the Chiefs spot them all 21 pts in the first half, of course...)
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

    -Cozy 3:16-

  16. #1966
    Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I thought Jackson totally regressed to the QB who couldn't hit the side of a barn. Maybe just a case of having a bad game at the worse possible time.
    So you run the ball, not make him pass it 59 times. Something just doesn't seem right with that game.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

  17. #1967
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    2,951
    Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I thought Jackson totally regressed to the QB who couldn't hit the side of a barn. Maybe just a case of having a bad game at the worse possible time.

    Picks:

    Niners- 24
    Packers- 21

    Chiefs- 35
    Titans-21
    (after the Chiefs spot them all 21 pts in the first half, of course...)
    Lamar set a record in that game for the combination of yards passed and yards run. Itís the turnovers, 4th down, and 2 point decisions that were bad. Lamar made some great passes and runs. But the dropped passes were terrible.
    Art is parasitic on life, just as criticism is parasitic on art.
    Harry S Truman

  18. #1968
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    5,896
    I thought it was a combination of poor passes and WR drops.

    I'll go with Packers & Chiefs for the SB as I couldn't bear the 49er fans if they win.
    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  19. #1969
    facetious maximus Yves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,585
    I expect that Niners/Packers tilt to be a heavyweight battle. As far as who I am rooting for in the remaining teams? Anybody but the Chefs...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

    -Cozy 3:16-

  20. #1970
    Member Since: 3/27/2002 MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Kingdom of YHVH
    Posts
    2,508
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Lamar set a record in that game for the combination of yards passed and yards run. It’s the turnovers, 4th down, and 2 point decisions that were bad. Lamar made some great passes and runs. But the dropped passes were terrible.
    precisely!
    key dropped passes that Lamar put right on the money
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

  21. #1971
    Member Jerjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    small town in ND
    Posts
    4,030
    It's gonna kill Scott Bails and Philly fans if Andy Reid wins the Super Bowl.

    I'll go with Packers & Chiefs for the SB as I couldn't bear the 49er fans if they win.
    Ah, but you have never suffered the self-righteous, inflated, sanctimonious attitude of Packers fans living outside of Wisconsin. I've known many and every single one of them is unbearable when it comes to their beloved Packers.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

  22. #1972
    facetious maximus Yves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,585
    Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    precisely!
    key dropped passes that Lamar put right on the money
    I guess I'm remembering a few where he sailed it over open receivers. I'll admit that after a full day's work and a few pints, some of that game is a little hazy in my memory...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

    -Cozy 3:16-

  23. #1973
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    5,896
    Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I guess I'm remembering a few where he sailed it over open receivers. I'll admit that after a full day's work and a few pints, some of that game is a little hazy in my memory...
    Nope, you have it correct.
    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  24. #1974
    Member Since: 3/27/2002 MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Kingdom of YHVH
    Posts
    2,508
    I'm not sayin he didnt miss some throws... I'm saying the 3rd down dropped passes that were thrown on the money cost them the game
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

  25. #1975
    Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I'm not sayin he didnt miss some throws... I'm saying the 3rd down dropped passes that were thrown on the money cost them the game
    There was a couple pass interferenses they refused to call.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •