Thread: The 2019 NFL Discussion Thread

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    He led with his helmet and Wentz was going down. There's no need to hit him on that play, unless you're a cheap shot player.
    I don't know if Clowney had a history of being a dirty player but no, he didn't need to dive at a sliding QB. Perhaps he'll be fined.

It looked to me like Clowney led with his helmet. I thought he should have been flagged.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar

That's a shoulder
    Ian

I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    It looked to me like Clowney led with his helmet. I thought he should have been flagged.
    Given how quick triggered the refs usually are about protecting QBs, I was surprised it wasn't flagged. Especially on a tissue paper QB like Wentz

And no he's not down, if you expect him to pull out one step away you don't know how fast this game is.

Ian

There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I'm anything but a Seahawks fan (especially right now even though I'm obviously a big Mr. Ciara fan), but I'm with Ian on the shoulder vs. helmet thing.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Of course you could try the Buffalo approach of not bringing down a running QB and see where that gets you (2 TD's later.....)
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post

That's a shoulder
    That's also a still picture which means nothing considering it was an entire play. I'm glad he wasn't flagged, but I'm surprised he wasn't...not for a headshot, but for driving the QB into the ground. That seems to be an automatic this season. That said, Clowney had a great game. Was noticeable the whole time
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe

I'm also surprised with all the whining of officiating in here, that there's no talk of Rudolph's clear push off on the OT TD. There's one that's been called all season.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe

everyone keeps saying Brady threw a pick-6 but it was a catchable ball, not a terrible throw. The receiver shoulda caught it
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I'm also surprised with all the whining of officiating in here, that there's no talk of Rudolph's clear push off on the OT TD. There's one that's been called all season.
    For Vikings fans, that's just karmic payback for the Drew Pearson pushing off back in the 70s.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

That's a shoulder
    That's not the moment of impact and even if it was, Wentz is clearly down.

Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    That's a shoulder
    I watched the game in real time and that photo is not indicative of what happened. Yes, there was helmet-to-helmet contact but like NogBad said, Wentz was already on his way down and Clowney was in hot pursuit. Wentz got clobbered and bounced on the tarmac, but it wasn't intentional and this is football afterall. It's a physical sport.

Clooney led with his shoulder and Wentz was a runner who didn't give himself up, he's fair game until he's down or slides feet first. Or you can be like Buffalo and just not tackle the QB at all.
    Here is the moment before your picture.Wentz.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    For Vikings fans, that's just karmic payback for the Drew Pearson pushing off back in the 70s.
    Clearly a push off which should have been called, every team can go back far enough and find karmic justification (Seahawks - Steelers SB anyone?) the Saints have been hosed as recently as last year, their karma has a greater resonance than the 70's vikings for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    That's not the moment of impact and even if it was, Wentz is clearly down.
    Wentz was not down when Clowney hit him, it made him hit the ground that way, you get zero QB protection when you are running the ball, you're now a RB.
    Ian

Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    The term "armchair quarterbacks" comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    The term "armchair quarterbacks" comes to mind.
    It's safer that way
    Ian

A popular bumper sticker in Minnesota is "Assistant Coach, Minnesota Vikings". Works for any franchise.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Proud Member since 2/2002 UnderAGlassMoon's Avatar

Yeah, I think that was the biggest officiating mistake of the weekend. And to think it happened to the Saints again! Is there another more snake bitten team in the NFL recently? Three straight years with walk off playoff losses. Two to the Vikings and two on bad officiating. They changed the rule because of what happened to the Saints last year and then they screwed them again. Glad I'm not a Saints fan.
    Eric: "What the hell Hutch, it's all Rush, what if we wanted a little variety?"

Hutch: "Rush is variety, Bitch! Rule number one: in my van, its Rush! All Rush, all the time...no exceptions."

From "Fanboys" 2009.

The eons are closing
    Rudolph's push off was more of a 'bitch get away from me' moment after all that girly hand slapping btwn both of em.

If the only actual foul on the play was that Rudolph touch, then yes... but good no call IMO
    No one plans to take the path that brings you lower

Proud Member since 2/2002 UnderAGlassMoon's Avatar
    I totally disagree. He fully extended his arm to create separation between himself and the defender. Not a good call and the definition of OPI according to the NFL. Almost every analyst Iíve heard says the same thing. By the example given to the media and teams by Al Riveron before the season, that was OPI, cut and dry.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    He should have been flagged and ejected from the game. The quarterback was already down, no sense jumping on someone's shoulders and head. What he did was the same as hitting someone out of bounds. Quarterbacks don't have the same padding as a running back, all he had to do was touch him with his hand.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by UnderAGlassMoon View Post
    I totally disagree. He fully extended his arm to create separation between himself and the defender. Not a good call and the definition of OPI according to the NFL. Almost every analyst I’ve heard says the same thing. By the example given to the media and teams by Al Riveron before the season, that was OPI, cut and dry.
    It's just like last year, they don't want the Saints in the super bowl. The NFL is a business, it's not about being fair. They let Brees win one super bowl, he should be happy.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Let's not forget that Sean Payton is an asshole who still believes in targeting QBs even though he got suspended for it. Karma is a bitch. He was actually talking about going after Cousins before the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    He should have been flagged and ejected from the game. The quarterback was already down, no sense jumping on someone's shoulders and head. What he did was the same as hitting someone out of bounds. Quarterbacks don't have the same padding as a running back, all he had to do was touch him with his hand.
    Still photos don't really tell the story here. Clowney didn't come from the other side of the field or launch himself. I wouldn't have been surprised if he drew a flag for that hit but ejection? Nah. Like I stated before, I'm not aware of Clowney being known for being a headhunter.