Page 84 of 91 FirstFirst ... 3474808182838485868788 ... LastLast
Results 2,076 to 2,100 of 2255

Thread: The 2019 NFL Discussion Thread

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Not even close....Rivers!
    I think I agree, but I want to see what he would do with a good team when he moves on as a free agent.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    I think I agree, but I want to see what he would do with a good team when he moves on as a free agent.
    Not really a fair comparison, as he's a bit past it now too.

A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Not even close....Rivers!
    I was never sold on Rivers. If you recall the Chargers let Brees go to draft Rivers. That's the kind of bonehead franchise they are..and I am glad they are in my division.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

The Titans are in that discussion. When did the lustre come off Mariota's star?

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    The Titans are in that discussion. When did the lustre come off Mariota's star?
    Maybe when they benched him for Tannehill this season?

I think there have always been question marks about Mariota and that people have been expecting development in his game that's simply never materialized. This season was the turning point, and Vrabel obviously made the right call that, at this moment, Mariota is not the right guy. I think he'll get another chance as a starter at some point, maybe not with the Titans, but some time on the bench might do him some good.

Bill

Yeah, I'm figuring Mariota was not the fit for Vrabel's offense and when they were successful with Tannehill the writing was on the wall. I think the Titans need to retain Tannehill though. A 40+ year old QB is not the long term answer.

I'd heard Rviers had moved his family to FLA and I think the Bucs is a logical fit for him. Arians can squeeze a little more juice out of him...

Yeah, I'm figuring Mariota was not the fit for Vrabel's offense and when they were successful with Tannehill the writing was on the wall. I think the Titans need to retain Tannehill though. A 40+ year old QB is not the long term answer.

I'd heard Rviers had moved his family to FLA and I think the Bucs is a logical fit for him. Arians can squeeze a little more juice out of him...
    I'm also skeptical of Vrabel wanting Rivers. I think what killed Mariota ultimately was poor decision making. I've always felt Rivers was a bit of a gunslinger and I think Vrabel wants more of a game manager, which fits Tannehill to a T. Brady might make more sense, but I doubt that would happen from a number of angles.

Rivers to Tampa makes some sense, but they need so many more pieces and it seems a waste of assets to me. They need to build toward a window, they're not just "one piece away." To me, Indy makes the most sense for Rivers of the teams in that article.

Bill

Winston and Mariota went 1-2 in the 2015 draft and now it appears both will be moving on from the teams that drafted them, and both face uncertain futures as starters...

it's pretty wacky to hear so much speculation about Brady...

the day after they lost to the Titans I said "Brady isn't leaving the Pats"

"they can not let him leave. What other QB do they have?" wait and see... I said it here first
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Brady plays for the Pats or he retires. I find it hard to believe there is a market for him. Father Time caught up to him in a big way this season. I just cannot see him learning a new offense on a team that will undoubtedly be missing several pieces, just to play at most 2 seasons.

Brady plays for the Pats or he retires. I find it hard to believe there is a market for him. Father Time caught up to him in a big way this season. I just cannot see him learning a new offense on a team that will undoubtedly be missing several pieces, just to play at most 2 seasons.
    I'm not sure about father time. I think he had a shoulder injury and he had crap at receiver and the O-line was a disaster. Had those pieces been stronger, he'd have looked better, though the injury might still be a factor. But in every other respect I agree with you. Who really wants him, and is he really going to be effective and want to "start over" in a new offense? What team is literally just a (today's model) Brady-like QB away from a Superbowl? I can't really name one. If he goes, good luck to him elsewhere, I think it will be embarrassing.

The real issue is Belichick, who I think has wanted him gone for a while. What his plan is in Brady's absence is anyone's guess, but I think he wants to cut bait. What will play out has less to do with Brady than what will transpire with Kraft and Belichick. If the Pats put a decent offer on the table, Kraft won. If not, Belichick got his way, and we'll see where it goes. It's not like this didn't have to happen at some point, so I'm not really in a panic about it, but my preference would be to see Brady signed on a two-year deal with the Pats while they develop one or two QBs behind him. I still think that is how it will go, but the Belichick wildcard makes this a hard matter to call one way or the other.

Bill

The scuttlebut on sports radio for the last couple days is.....does Eli belong in the HOF.

Two words......Fuck Yes (he belongs in the HOF). Are they kidding? Yes, because he slayed the Patriots/Brady TWICE, not once. Just for that alone.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    I’ve got no axe to grind. I like Eli enough, but isn’t that his job, to get the team to the playoffs? I know there’s a lot of factors that make a team, but shouldn’t the elite QBs get their teams to the playoffs?

And if two Super Bowls equals automatic QB HOFer, then Plunkett would be in. (And perhaps he should be.)
    Yeah, that was his job alright. It's a lot of QBs jobs to do and yet so few accomplish that goal, let alone be named MVP of two Superbowls.

There will wind up being a lot of QBs with flashier stats, but a lot of those guys could never win in big games. Eli's play during those two playoff runs (2007, 2011) were integral to the Giants winning both SBs. But, it's not like he only played well in those two games, or those two playoff runs. He outlasted a lot of QBs who were supposed to be better than him.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    The scuttlebut on sports radio for the last couple days is.....does Eli belong in the HOF.

Two words......Fuck Yes (he belongs in the HOF). Are they kidding? Yes, because he slayed the Patriots/Brady TWICE, not once. Just for that alone.
    After they put Earl Morrall in the HoF then they can put Eli in.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

And Jim Plunkett as well. Eli won't go in first ballot but I believe he belongs there. His stats over his career are mediocre but 2 time MVP in Superbowls, against the greatest team of the last 2 decades means a lot. Dan Marino would trade his career for Eli's.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Yeah, that was his job alright. It's a lot of QBs jobs to do and yet so few accomplish that goal, let alone be named MVP of two Superbowls.

There will wind up being a lot of QBs with flashier stats, but a lot of those guys could never win in big games. Eli's play during those two playoff runs (2007, 2011) were integral to the Giants winning both SBs. But, it's not like he only played well in those two games, or those two playoff runs. He outlasted a lot of QBs who were supposed to be better than him.
    He absolutely played as well as anyone else when the stakes were high. Not just the Super Bowls but the playoff runs leading up to those Super Bowls.

If you take those out, though, he is Phillip Rivers. Neither are stellar, but both hung around long enough to accumulate a bunch of stats. Isn’t Manning like top ten in passing yards? But can anyone remember a great season (not just playoff run) that he had?

He’ll get in for his performance on the big stage, and that’s fine, but he’s definitely not an all-time great. Marino is.

I wonder if Simms hadn’t gotten injured in 1990 if his HOF case would be as strong as Manning’s is. Simms’ ‘90 season was MVP-caliber, and a second SB MVP might’ve put him over the top (assuming the Giants would’ve beaten the Bills with him and he would’ve gotten the MVP).
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Watching the Pro Bowl. It's football. Squeezing the last juices.

And there's a pick 6......

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    After they put Earl Morrall in the HoF then they can put Eli in.
    yeah, but he took payolla to throw Superbowl III

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    yeah, but he took payolla to throw Superbowl III
    But he did it at the bequest of the NFL. Shula got a nice cushy job in warm Miami then grabbed Morrall for two super bowls.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Watching the Pro Bowl. It's football. .
    No, it's not. You cannot play true defense in the Pro Bowl so it becomes just a game of catch. I don't think I have tuned in to watch a single snap in well over a decade.

But is anyone gonna watch the XFL?

Didn't even know they brought that back. I don't even watch College, so no way I am watching XFL.