Page 15 of 91 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2019 NFL Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Today is the 5 years anniversary of Cleveland drafting Johnny Manzel.
    Well, they say that when you miss on a quarterback, it sets your franchise back 5 years. In this case, it can be argued that it set the Browns back 4 years, and that's only because they jettisoned him relatively quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Well, they say that when you miss on a quarterback, it sets your franchise back 5 years. In this case, it can be argued that it set the Browns back 4 years, and that's only because they jettisoned him relatively quickly.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Good thing George Young was in charge in 1981 instead of Gettleman; otherwise Rozelle would have announced:

'And with the 2nd Pick of the 1981 Draft, the New York Giants select.... Rich Campbell QB California'

Thats what Gettleman did.
    Maybe...maybe not.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Good thing George Young was in charge in 1981 instead of Gettleman; otherwise Rozelle would have announced:

'And with the 2nd Pick of the 1981 Draft, the New York Giants select.... Rich Campbell QB California'

Thats what Gettleman did.
    Then we wouldn't have the excruciating Joe Theisman video to look at.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

The eons are closing
    Rich was the only non pro bowler or HoF player jn the first 8 picks that 81 draft. Bet Packers wish they had gone D too given it set them back years.

Top 10 Draftable QBs really are rare.

IMO - GMen passed over a sure fire starting LB for someone who likely isnt good enough to start over Eli. Again IMO.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Out with the old, in with the...something.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...aign=editorial

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    They'll both be missed but it's not a surprise.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

The eons are closing
    The interesting thing was the "failed physical" citations....

The interesting thing was the "failed physical" citations....
    Maybe they just wanted to go to different teams. After that super bowl fiasco I'd want to leave also. I think that's why some of the Ravens defense left because the coaching staff just rolled over in the playoffs against the Chargers and didn't really try and win the game.

The eons are closing
    The Hawks couldve just let them go.

But instead choose to release them saying "they're broken buyer beware"

The Hawks couldve just let them go.

But instead choose to release them saying "they're broken buyer beware"
    Unless it's obvious, I think if they just let them go, a whole other subset of fans would question the FO's motives. So from my perspective it's damned if you do, damned if you don't. And a failed physical is a generic enough description that it leaves it open to interpretation. I'm sure some teams will kick the tires on both players to get more info.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Baldwin's situation is much different than Chancellor's. They kept Chancellor on the roster last year for cap (and insurance) reasons knowing that there was no way he was physically able to play. His release based on a failed physical was just a matter of time and Chancellor basically announced his retirement last year. Especially given how many they've lost in the secondary, if there was even a remote chance that Chancellor could still play the 'hawks would have figured out a way to keep him.

While Baldwin certainly isn't a young player, his situation was more sudden than Chancellor's, so much so that it clearly impacted the Seahawks' draft strategy. While it wouldn't surprise me if other teams inquire about Baldwin, the physical issues he has suffered through over the past two seasons, plus three surgeries this offseason, essentially means that he's done too.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Unless it's obvious, I think if they just let them go, a whole other subset of fans would question the FO's motives. So from my perspective it's damned if you do, damned if you don't. And a failed physical is a generic enough description that it leaves it open to interpretation. I'm sure some teams will kick the tires on both players to get more info.
    Chancellor is done with football, given his neck injury and subsequent diagnosis of narrowing of the spine. His departure isn't a surprise.

Baldwin might show up on some other team needing a situational slot receiver. But Baldwin's days of being a featured wide reciever are over (though he was actually more effective as a slot receiver when Seattle had more viable threats at wideout).

Adam Gase already causing chaos and dysfunction with the Jets.......

The Jets will always be a mess, it seems.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

throwing all that money at Cousins was a head-scratcher from the get-go
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    throwing all that money at Cousins was a head-scratcher from the get-go
    They didn't have any good options. Keenum is not a good quarterback. He's a borderline backup. Giving a contract to a guy like that to start at QB for the next three years - on a team that just went 13-3 - would have been the real head-scratcher.

The Cousins deal at least had a sensible angle to it, which was that you're getting an upgrade at QB over Keenum, and going for it in 2018 with the team they had in 2017, with a better QB. The problem is, the Vikings couldn't come anywhere close to giving the same defensive effort in 2018 as they did in 2017. The defense basically ruptured, giving up about a touchdown more per game than they did the year previous. Cousins isn't good enough to take teams with average defenses on deep playoff runs, unless the rest of the offense is stacked with talent. It wasn't.

So yeah, after swinging and missing on 2018, the Vikings are in a hole for 2019. Without any good options to choose from, the Vikings took a calculated risk on 2018 and it didn't work.

Dak Prescott is the lowest paid starting QB in the league by a long shot. He's been working for like 600K for a while. He will get a bump to 2M in his last year. They expect a contract to get done before the season starts, but I fear the same "quarterback trap". There is a lot of buzz around Dak getting 30M/year. I think that's crazy talk, but when you look at this list:

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/

You can see his agents will likely use Garoppolo as their comp. I personally wouldn't pay Dak more than 20m/season and a signing bonus, but looking at that list of QBs, I could see 5/125 with the comps being Carr, Cam, and Foles.

With two other contracts to deal with (Zeke, Coop), Dak seems to be the priority. At that point, I'm betting they extend one of the other two guys and tag the one who didn't.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I'm hoping Dak becomes the highest paid QB in football.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Looks odd seeing Russell there.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I'm hoping Dak becomes the highest paid QB in football.
    who knows with Jerry in charge; we could fall into that trap
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Dak Prescott is the lowest paid starting QB in the league by a long shot. He's been working for like 600K for a while. He will get a bump to 2M in his last year. They expect a contract to get done before the season starts, but I fear the same "quarterback trap". There is a lot of buzz around Dak getting 30M/year. I think that's crazy talk, but when you look at this list:

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/

You can see his agents will likely use Garoppolo as their comp. I personally wouldn't pay Dak more than 20m/season and a signing bonus, but looking at that list of QBs, I could see 5/125 with the comps being Carr, Cam, and Foles.

With two other contracts to deal with (Zeke, Coop), Dak seems to be the priority. At that point, I'm betting they extend one of the other two guys and tag the one who didn't.
    Very tough call there. He's good enough to pay, but at the same time isn't a star. I think they should pay Prescott and let Elliott walk. Paying both is kind of dumb, and Prescott is harder to replace, and will likely be good longer.

McCoy picked the Panthers over the Ravens and Browns, what an ass.

^ The Browns told him that he would be a rotational player, and I think he wanted starter money. I don't know if the Browns offered him that much.