Thread: The 2019 NFL Discussion Thread

  1. #1426
    Member Since: 3/27/2002 MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Kingdom of YHVH
    Posts
    2,386
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    What was up with that pass that Dak lobbed to the receiver, and the guy didn't even know Dak was throwing it to him? That's gotta be maddening to you Cowboys fans.

    I bet the Dolphins would beat the Cowboys if they played again.......
    the way they are playing currently, I don't doubt it!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

  2. #1427
    cunning linguist 3LockBox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Posts
    1,493
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    That kneeling shit gets to people every time.
    So does quitting.

    As a vet of 6yrs in the Navy I couldn't care less who sits, stands, kneels, texts or scratches their crotch during the national anthem (an empty gesture in and of itself).

    And let's not be totally revisionist historians for the sake of being a fake internet SJW shall we. When he was first approached, about sitting for a national anthem he had no problem standing for as a starter, (after he'd lost his starting job) he then kneeled after an ex-servicemen convinced him that kneeling would look more respectful (and less pouty) than sitting like a sullen brat.

    Dude purposely sabotaged any chance of getting back into the NFL with his latest stunt. And no, that's not a 'cracker' sentiment. Media members and activists alike who have a personal stake in the cause see right through him. He's now a professional martyr. Other than crowing to network cameras about not being on an NFL roster, he has not neccesarily 'lent' himself to the cause, but is available for a sizable fee.

    Colin Kaepernick... valid cause, wrong spokesperson.

  3. #1428
    Member Since: 3/27/2002 MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Kingdom of YHVH
    Posts
    2,386
    I think you're spot on there Todd
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

  4. #1429
    Member Lou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati-ish
    Posts
    1,317
    Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I think you're spot on there Todd
    +1
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

  5. #1430
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    5,520
    Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I think you're spot on there Todd
    Agreed
    Ian

    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  6. #1431
    Irritated Lawn Guy Klonk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Rockland, NY
    Posts
    1,269
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    So does quitting.

    As a vet of 6yrs in the Navy I couldn't care less who sits, stands, kneels, texts or scratches their crotch during the national anthem (an empty gesture in and of itself).

    And let's not be totally revisionist historians for the sake of being a fake internet SJW shall we. When he was first approached, about sitting for a national anthem he had no problem standing for as a starter, (after he'd lost his starting job) he then kneeled after an ex-servicemen convinced him that kneeling would look more respectful (and less pouty) than sitting like a sullen brat.

    Dude purposely sabotaged any chance of getting back into the NFL with his latest stunt. And no, that's not a 'cracker' sentiment. Media members and activists alike who have a personal stake in the cause see right through him. He's now a professional martyr. Other than crowing to network cameras about not being on an NFL roster, he has not neccesarily 'lent' himself to the cause, but is available for a sizable fee.

    Colin Kaepernick... valid cause, wrong spokesperson.
    Thank you for your service . However, I have vets in my family and know several others young and old who found the kneeling disrespectful...not outrageous, just disrespectful. Who's right and who's wrong?! But yeah, the cause is what it is and he's definitely the wrong spokesperson.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe

  7. #1432
    Moderator Poisoned Youth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Nothern Virginia, USA
    Posts
    1,884
    Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Thank you for your service . However, I have vets in my family and know several others young and old who found the kneeling disrespectful...not outrageous, just disrespectful. Who's right and who's wrong?! But yeah, the cause is what it is and he's definitely the wrong spokesperson.
    Without getting too political, I think it's time we revisit the concept of patriotic displays at private sporting events.

    While I won't discuss my feelings about the controversy (which is now very old and tired btw), I would say that Kaepernick is irreparably "damaged". Once a person or idea becomes politicized to the point of being used as a symbol or trigger for either point of view, the message behind it is usually lost and all that's left is the disagreement.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

  8. #1433
    cunning linguist 3LockBox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Posts
    1,493
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Without getting too political, I think it's time we revisit the concept of patriotic displays at private sporting events.

    While I won't discuss my feelings about the controversy (which is now very old and tired btw), I would say that Kaepernick is irreparably "damaged". Once a person or idea becomes politicized to the point of being used as a symbol or trigger for either point of view, the message behind it is usually lost and all that's left is the disagreement.
    Exactly. Plenty of players who knelt still play for NFL teams, provided they've earned a spot on a roster. The kneeling never bothered me because I have a natural aversion to public professions and proclamations of faith, patriotism and affection. Yes, there is a place and time for everything but so much of it is self-serving at best and attention whoring at worst.

    Most networks did't even broadcast the pre-game anthem and I usually skipped it when they did. So did everyone else until it came time to take inventory of who was doing what. But, that's all history. So is Kaepernick - and the guy someone wanted Kap to replace will probably wind up MVP.

  9. #1434
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    2,593
    Quote Originally Posted by MindFur View Post
    Here is the full quote by the commentator: “He’s really good at that fake, Lamar Jackson, but when you consider his dark skin with a dark football with a dark uniform, you could not see that thing,” Ryan said on air, according to the San Francisco Chronicle. “I mean you literally could not see when he was in and out of the mesh point, and if you’re a half step slow on him in terms of your vision, forget about it, he’s out of the gate.”

    From an article about what Richard Sherman said in response: Sherman, one of the most outspoken players of the league, said Thursday he wasn’t as mad as everyone else was and that the analyst had “valid” points but could have chosen his words differently.

    “I know Tim personally, and I listened to the dialogue and saw it written, and honestly I wasn’t as outraged as everybody else,” Sherman told reporters. “I understand how it can be taken under a certain context and be offensive to some. But if you're saying, this is a brown ball, they're wearing dark colors and he has a brown arm, honestly, sometimes we were having trouble seeing it on film."
    There is no reason or proof to claim that Lamar’s successful handoffs (or non-handoffs) occur mostly because he is dark. To claim so, or rationalize statements as such are inaccurate. However the context suggests an announcer and football player kissing the a@@ of the fans.
    “[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.”

  10. #1435
    Member Firth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Severn, MD
    Posts
    2,593
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Without getting too political, I think it's time we revisit the concept of patriotic displays at private sporting events.

    While I won't discuss my feelings about the controversy (which is now very old and tired btw), I would say that Kaepernick is irreparably "damaged". Once a person or idea becomes politicized to the point of being used as a symbol or trigger for either point of view, the message behind it is usually lost and all that's left is the disagreement.
    I disagree. The Kapisode was a major distraction to the game. We don’t need to discuss this any more. Let it be, let it be.
    “[They] agreed that it was neither possible nor necessary to educate people who never questioned anything.”

  11. #1436
    cunning linguist 3LockBox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Posts
    1,493
    Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    I disagree. The Kapisode was a major distraction to the game. We don’t need to discuss this any more. Let it be, let it be.
    You're right and for the most part we all had left it behind (well, almost all of us). Someone keeps being bringing him up because he wants to look 'woke' (or whatever) and I'd had enough. Shame on me. I guess Shadow hooks everyone eventually.

  12. #1437
    Member Vic2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    3,849
    I'm still asleep. Kaepernick will never play in the NFL. Not because he kneeled, but because he's an arrogant, fake ass fuck. He's an embarrassment. Screw him.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •