Page 8 of 91 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2019 NFL Discussion Thread

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    How can you not (at least on some subliminal level) root for a team with decades long frustration for players, coaches, front office & most importantly fans that finally looks to be at least better, if not way better, than its history?
    I generally do this too, unless it's a team I hate/root for a division rival.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    If only they had. The OBJ trade was awful - truly one of the dumbest trades I've ever seen. They traded a future hall of famer in his prime for the 17th pick, a 3rd round pick and an average defensive back?

Just terrible. And OBJ wasn't even a cancer - his teammates loved him.

But the Giants *aren't* trying to gut the team. They actually think that they are trying to contend (which is a total joke). Anybody think a wide receiver who can play the slot as well as go deep, who has historically great ability to run with the ball after catching a short pass might benefit a QB with barely any mobility, declining skills and shaky accuracy? Maybe?

And replacing him with an older, past-his-prime slot receiver (which they already had in Shepard) with below-average speed?

Great job, fools.

Keeping a bad QB and taking the cap hit? Great job, fools.

The OBJ trade has been rightfully A-bombed (from a Giants perspective) by just about every football analyst out there. The Giants organization just has no clue.

There was a time to trade OBJ, and that was in the offseason after the boat incident. He still had years left on his rookie deal and could have fetched 2 first-round draft picks, or a very high #1 and a #2.

But the Giants don't sell high on anything any more. They buy high and sell low.

They should immediately trade Saquon Barkley, as they have no use for an elite RB and he likely won't be elite by the time they are ready to contend for the division again. They could get a high first round draft pick for him, which they could use to fortify the O-Line or Defense with likely a star player. But will they do that? Of course not. Because that would be smart.
    I think we are in full agreement here. They aren't gutting the team, but they should. They should stop signing anyone, create massive cap space, and collect as many draft picks as possible for the next 2-4 years.

For their sake, I hope this contention talk is just the typical smokescreen stuff, because if otherwise these people are outrageously clueless and should be out of football for life.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    For their sake, I hope this contention talk is just the typical smokescreen stuff, because if otherwise these people are outrageously clueless and should be out of football for life.
    Does this not remain to be seen? I'll be rooting hard regardless.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    How can you not (at least on some subliminal level) root for a team with decades long frustration for players, coaches, front office & most importantly fans that finally looks to be at least better, if not way better, than its history?
    When you have a favorite team in the same division.

(otherwise, I would probably also be rooting for them)
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    When you have a favorite team in the same division.

(otherwise, I would probably also be rooting for them)
    Same reason I can't root for Matt Stafford and the Lions.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    I kind of love this Browns team.

Obviously they won't take the place of my favorite team, but considering the amount of time the Giants will likely be in the wilderness, and considering that I'm actively rooting for them to lose to get better draft position, I think I'm going to adopt the Browns as my "other" team. I think they've got an even-money chance to win 12 games next year, and Mayfield-to-Beckham will be a great thing.
    So much depends on Mayfield not getting hurt, but if he stays healthy, the offense should be special. I think the defense won't be great, but should be good enough, given how much the offense will score. If all goes according to plan, I think they'll be in the mix at season's end, but reaching the mountain top this year is probably against the odds.

Thanks for all the kind wishes for our Browns. I know the fan base will welcome support from any and all, near or far. (We're used to being the laughingstock. Being the team that others get behind will be a breath of fresh air.) And, if you're a football fan, they should at least be fun to watch this coming season.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Does this not remain to be seen? I'll be rooting hard regardless.
    I'd say it's one of those things we won't really know unless after his career Gettleman writes a tell all book revealing his true feelings. It's hard to gauge people's real thoughts in environments like this where there are so many factors that make saying the right things the better course of action.

That said, thinking you are going to be better without your best player (especially with an aging QB) is backwards logic.

That said, thinking you are going to be better without your best player (especially with an aging QB) is backwards logic.
    Barkley is their best player. I'm ok with that. Much better teammate and leader. Adding Zeitler to the offensive line was a huge upgrade and the Giants are a Tackle away from having an offensive line that on paper should protect immobile Eli much better. With protection, that pylon still has some pretty damn good targets in Sheperd, Engram and Tate. I'm glad OBJ is gone. He's a crybaby and probably more a cancer than people think. Not to mention he's pretty brittle and will miss games. Amazing talent...but seeya!

Giants defense? Now that's where I'm worried...

Barkley is their best player. I'm ok with that. Much better teammate and leader. Adding Zeitler to the offensive line was a huge upgrade and the Giants are a Tackle away from having an offensive line that on paper should protect immobile Eli much better. With protection, that pylon still has some pretty damn good targets in Sheperd, Engram and Tate. I'm glad OBJ is gone. He's a crybaby and probably more a cancer than people think. Not to mention he's pretty brittle and will miss games. Amazing talent...but seeya!

Giants defense? Now that's where I'm worried...
    Oh the Vernon Zeitler trade was very good for the giants. And well...ok. Clearly I won't be changing your mind, so that'll be the end of it from me. enjoy the playoffs next year!

Oh the Vernon Zeitler trade was very good for the giants. And well...ok. Clearly I won't be changing your mind, so that'll be the end of it from me. enjoy the playoffs next year!

I never said I have playoff expectations, but I definitely think the "fleecing" is overstated. Nothing wrong with being positive even if it might be naive...I don't care, I'm not a hater/entitled/know-it-all type of fan. Hell, I even still think Eli has 2 more good seasons left in him if he is able to stand in the pocket longer. That's just how I roll

Hell, I even still think Eli has 2 more good seasons left in him if he is able to stand in the pocket longer.
    I think we found the problem.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

G-men need to draft his replacement this season. I almost get the impression they don't want to hurt his feelings but they will set themselves way back, and totally waste the Barkley pick, if they do not.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    quite possibly and believe me, I am NOT an Eli apologist! I think I've proven that here. I do think he gets a lot of unwarranted hate though. Everyone knows he's about as mobile as a tree stump and is a mess when he's pressured, but he's still pretty decent when he has some time. Time will tell...

I think Gettleman thinks Eli has 2 more good years in him too. The plan has a built-in failsafe: If he's wrong, (he is,) they'll be picking at the top of the draft the next 2 years and have a chance at drafting their franchise quarterback.

quite possibly and believe me, I am NOT an Eli apologist! I think I've proven that here. I do think he gets a lot of unwarranted hate though. Everyone knows he's about as mobile as a tree stump and is a mess when he's pressured, but he's still pretty decent when he has some time. Time will tell...
    I really don't think that any QB could have done much with that offensive line. It started to show some promise in the second half but we'll see if the offseason moves help or hurt. With OBJ gone and his constant double team, there is another defender that can be put in the box. Making Barkley's life tougher. Its up to the O-line

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I think the Lions are a longer suffering fan base than the Browns. You have to remember that the Cleveland Browns, before they were the Baltimore Ravens, were actually a very competitive franchise. While they never made it to a Superbowl they did have flourishes of greatness in every decade since joining the NFL. The Lions have had very little success since their last championship in the '50s. How many playoff games has the Lions won since the NFL AFL merger? I could look it up but I think I only need one hand to count them.

Jim Brown was a rock star for the Browns when I was a lad. He was a hero. Good man. He's still alive.....

I loved Frank Minnifield when I was younger as well as the Byner and Mack combo...poor Byner and that fumble though.

I actually saw Johnny Unitas play live at Kezar Stadium in 1967 or so. I was a kid. Colts vs. 49ers. Niners lost. I think our QB was John Brody.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    I actually saw Johnny Unitas play live at Kezar Stadium in 1967 or so. I was a kid. Colts vs. 49ers. Niners lost. I think our QB was John Brody.
    Johnny U was one of my favorite non Steelers growing up.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Quote Originally Posted by Lou View Post
    Johnny U was one of my favorite non Steelers growing up.
    He should be, he saved your league.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I think the Lions are a longer suffering fan base than the Browns. You have to remember that the Cleveland Browns, before they were the Baltimore Ravens, were actually a very competitive franchise. While they never made it to a Superbowl they did have flourishes of greatness in every decade since joining the NFL. The Lions have had very little success since their last championship in the '50s. How many playoff games has the Lions won since the NFL AFL merger? I could look it up but I think I only need one hand to count them.
    The Lions would probably be next in line, for most people. But the Browns/Ravens had Art Modell, so....
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Just heard. Gronk has retired. First ballot. An animal.