Page 39 of 91 FirstFirst ... 293536373839404142434989 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2019 NFL Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    The Lions deal Quandre Diggs to the Seahawks. Diggs was quite popular in Detroit and on the surface it seems an odd move with Darius Slay being injured, but this article sheds some light: https://www.mlive.com/lions/2019/10/...dre-diggs.html
    Did Detroit pick anyone good with the Tate trade.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Did Detroit pick anyone good with the Tate trade.
    They traded Tate for a 3rd round pick. Their 3rd pick was safety Will Harris. I think the jury is still out on him at this point.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    Pats acquire Mohamed Sanu from Falcons for a second round pick:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...d-sanu-falcons

Bill
    Seems like a bit of a steep price, although Bill loves his Rutgers guys.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Seems like a bit of a steep price, although Bill loves his Rutgers guys.
    That seems to be the consensus on sports radio, which I listened to on the way to and from rehearsal last night. A bit of a steep payment, but they get a player they've had their eyes on for a while and someone who Belichick trusts. We'll see how it works out. They needed something offensively. I'm not sure this was exactly what was needed, but in conjunction with getting some other players back and healthy, the receiver corps will look a ton better than they have for several weeks.

Bill

They needed something offensively.
    Yeah, they've been really suffering lol.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Yeah, they've been really suffering lol.

I look forward to the Pats-Cowboys game. Good test for both teams.

Bill

I look forward to the Pats-Cowboys game. Good test for both teams.
    Nah, I don't think so. This season is very reminiscent of the Pats' undefeated season and the Cowboys went 13-3 (but lost to the Giants), except that the Cowboys are not as good as that 13-3 team. It just doesn't feel like anyone is in the same league playing at the same level as the Pats.

With that said, the Pats have had an easy schedule to date, so we'll see.

In fact, this is what makes the Sanu trade so brilliant (I use that term loosely). They just got better. They may have given up a 2nd rounder, but it's presumably a very late 2nd round pick. When you're playing well as a team and you can further separate yourself, go for it. It's the right move. Period.

Oh, and even though many are compensatory, here is the 2020 draft picks for the Pats:

- 1st round (own)
    - 3rd round (own)
    - 3rd round (projected compensatory pick: Trey Flowers)
    - 3rd round (projected compensatory pick: Trent Brown)
    - 4th round (via Chicago Bears)
    - 6th round (via Houston Texans: Keion Crossen trade)
    - 6th round (via Denver Broncos: Duke Dawson trade)
    - 6th round (projected compensatory pick: Malcom Brown)
    - 6th round (projected compensatory pick: Cordarrelle Patterson)
    - 7th round (via Seattle Seahawks)
    - 7th round (via Falcons)
    - 7th round (via Philadelphia Eagles)

That seems to be the consensus on sports radio, which I listened to on the way to and from rehearsal last night. A bit of a steep payment, but they get a player they've had their eyes on for a while and someone who Belichick trusts. We'll see how it works out. They needed something offensively. I'm not sure this was exactly what was needed, but in conjunction with getting some other players back and healthy, the receiver corps will look a ton better than they have for several weeks.

Bill
    Yeah...although he has been average at best elsewhere, if there is anyone who can maximize his potential it's Bill. Just seems like a some good draft capital to give away to me, although I didn't realize how man picks they already have for next year (assuming those projections are true).

That said, I did put a waiver claim in for him in fantasy.

Yeah...although he has been average at best elsewhere, if there is anyone who can maximize his potential it's Bill. Just seems like a some good draft capital to give away to me, although I didn't realize how man picks they already have for next year (assuming those projections are true).

That said, I did put a waiver claim in for him in fantasy.
    I looked at the Patriots schedule and there are seven teams if they play to their potential and the refs don't tank calls like in the playoffs and super bowl last year have the ability to win. I would start with the Browns this week.

Nah, I don't think so. This season is very reminiscent of the Pats' undefeated season and the Cowboys went 13-3 (but lost to the Giants), except that the Cowboys are not as good as that 13-3 team. It just doesn't feel like anyone is in the same league playing at the same level as the Pats.

With that said, the Pats have had an easy schedule to date, so we'll see.
    I don't see the Pats' at nearly 2007 levels. Defense is very good, but as you say, they haven't really played any substantial competition. I think the real Patriots will show themselves over the coming weeks, and it won't look as rosy as it has over the first seven weeks. Which isn't to say they won't win, but winning ugly is a Patriots trademark.

Well, the move looks even better with us putting Gordon on IR today. This really bums me out, not so much for the team, but for him. I hope he can hold it together. I was really rooting for him to make a solid comeback, and this is just a major setback for him. Just a bummer at a personal level.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I looked at the Patriots schedule and there are seven teams if they play to their potential... have the ability to win. I would start with the Browns this week.
    I agree with this, though I'm not sure the Browns will pose the biggest threat. Ravens are dangerous with the mobile QB. Cowboys, Chiefs, Texans and Bills will be solid challenges. Pats' have also pulled a no-show or two over the past couple of seasons, so who knows on the other games. I don't see this as an undefeated team, or a SB shoe-in. The Sanu move now is basically neutral to me with losing Gordon. It will be interesting.

Bill

I don't see the Pats' at nearly 2007 levels. Defense is very good, but as you say, they haven't really played any substantial competition. I think the real Patriots will show themselves over the coming weeks, and it won't look as rosy as it has over the first seven weeks. Which isn't to say they won't win, but winning ugly is a Patriots trademark.

Well, the move looks even better with us putting Gordon on IR today. This really bums me out, not so much for the team, but for him. I hope he can hold it together. I was really rooting for him to make a solid comeback, and this is just a major setback for him. Just a bummer at a personal level.

I agree with this, though I'm not sure the Browns will pose the biggest threat. Ravens are dangerous with the mobile QB. Cowboys, Chiefs, Texans and Bills will be solid challenges. Pats' have also pulled a no-show or two over the past couple of seasons, so who knows on the other games. I don't see this as an undefeated team, or a SB shoe-in. The Sanu move now is basically neutral to me with losing Gordon. It will be interesting.

Bill
    Yeah...that does suck for Gordon. You can never really have enough weapons, and he seemed to be able to contribute to the Pats positively (albeit not that much this year). As for your last statement...idk...other than KC I don't really see any other team that can challenge the Pats (and that's assuming Mahomes can come back fully heathy). I know the Bills have a tough defense...but the offense doesn't inspire me much (especially given they've played once (in buffalo) already).

Yeah...that does suck for Gordon. You can never really have enough weapons, and he seemed to be able to contribute to the Pats positively (albeit not that much this year). As for your last statement...idk...other than KC I don't really see any other team that can challenge the Pats (and that's assuming Mahomes can come back fully heathy). I know the Bills have a tough defense...but the offense doesn't inspire me much (especially given they've played once (in buffalo) already).
    Hope you're right, but I could see any of the teams I mentioned being a challenge for the Patriots. Raven's always challenge the Pats', that's a great rivalry. If the Texans and Cowboys think they can compete at the top level, then their Pats' games will be big tests. Chiefs is a given, assuming Mahomes is healthy, which I hope he is. I like the Patriots this year, but I don't think they are "all that." They have holes and are beatable, and the meat of their schedule lies ahead. We'll see what they're really made of in the coming weeks.

Bill

Hope you're right, but I could see any of the teams I mentioned being a challenge for the Patriots. Raven's always challenge the Pats', that's a great rivalry. If the Texans and Cowboys think they can compete at the top level, then their Pats' games will be big tests. Chiefs is a given, assuming Mahomes is healthy, which I hope he is. I like the Patriots this year, but I don't think they are "all that." They have holes and are beatable, and the meat of their schedule lies ahead. We'll see what they're really made of in the coming weeks.

Bill
    Every year they lose a handful of games but still wind up in the SB. I understand that the Bills only have one loss, but I don't think that will be the case for the year, so even when the pats lose a couple games I think they will still win the division and will have home field advantage through the playoffs.

But the second half of the season will be more of a challenge for sure...though I think it 'll be surprising if the 'Boys beat them IMO. I know the Raven game is in Baltimore, so that will be a tougher test. Is the game versus the Texans in Houston or Foxborough?

Really the biggest challenge I can see them having is the kicking game. I'm surprised they didn't pick some kicker off of a practice squad is turns out to be the next God.

The Sanu move now is basically neutral to me with losing Gordon. It will be interesting.

Bill
    Sanu is probably the same level as Gordon of late. Gordon of his first 2 years was a different beast
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I wonder if they will check in on Dez Bryant.

Every year they lose a handful of games but still wind up in the SB. I understand that the Bills only have one loss, but I don't think that will be the case for the year, so even when the pats lose a couple games I think they will still win the division and will have home field advantage through the playoffs.

But the second half of the season will be more of a challenge for sure...though I think it 'll be surprising if the 'Boys beat them IMO. I know the Raven game is in Baltimore, so that will be a tougher test. Is the game versus the Texans in Houston or Foxborough?
    Houston game is in Houston.

Really the biggest challenge I can see them having is the kicking game. I'm surprised they didn't pick some kicker off of a practice squad is turns out to be the next God.
    LOL!

They had a kicker on the practice squad for a while, but he seems to be gone. They appear to be going with Nugent, and I agree this does not exactly inspire confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Sanu is probably the same level as Gordon of late. Gordon of his first 2 years was a different beast
    Totally agree. I still felt Gordon had potential, but he's no longer a "#1." Like Dorsett, and even Sanu, he would have been made much better by being paired with a true #1. In the past Gronk fulfilled that role, attracting extra coverage and making mediocre receivers look better. We got a glimpse of what that could have been like with AB, and Gordon had a good game that one day (admittedly against the Dolphins, but their defense hung pretty tough for a while).

Adding Sanu to the mix I think would have elevated Gordon's play, just as it would have benefited Sanu. Adding Sanu and losing Gordon to me is simply a neutral move, and pins a lot of hopes on the rookie Harry being a difference maker. Wouldn't shock me to see the Pats' make one more move in this area before the deadline, but I doubt it will be much more than a "depth" move.

I wonder if they will check in on Dez Bryant.
    Is he healthy? That's not a name I've ever heard that was on the Pats' radar, but it's interesting.

Bill

WHY YOU RUN THE BALL ON THIRD AND SHORT

Bennett to the Cowboys for a 7th (maybe 6th). And Dez Bryant.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ennett-cowboys

Bill

Aaand the Browns are well on the way to beating themselves...

Again.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    3 turnovers on 3 consecutive plays, unreal
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

The Pat's will show no mercy. The reign of terror continues. No team in the AFC stands a chance (maybe the Ravens but depends on home field advantage).

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Who's going to stop the 49ers? Maybe the Saints?

A healthy Chefs team with home field could beat them. Don't think we'll see a fully healthy Chefs team, though.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Who's going to stop the 49ers?
    Oof. Not the Panthers. Jayzuz.

Clearly Carolina is not ready for prime time. I’m ok with the team getting outplayed (which they did), but getting out coached is unacceptable. The Panthers had no answer for SF’s motions and play actions. You can always get better coaches ...

A healthy New Orleans team is probably better than SF. I’d take them over an unproven SF team.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

My god the 49ers ain't fucking around. Can't wait to see a Saints/49ers playoff game or a 49ers/Packers playoff game.