Page 10 of 91 FirstFirst ... 678910111213142060 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2019 NFL Discussion Thread

OK, 4th and 15 at the 35. The catch? The team on Offense has to use only Defensive players, and the team on Defense has to use only Offensive players. To cap things off, the referees are replaced for that play only by cheerleaders in lingerie.

Or just eliminate taking a knee. Teams play until the clock runs out. Your team scores. They're down by one score to tie, or go ahead. No onside kick. You kick off. The opposition MUST move the ball. They've got 4 downs to run out the clock. If they turn the ball over now your team might still have a chance to throw a hail Mary or kick a field goal. Play until the clock runs out and whoever has more points at the end wins. No gimmicks. No tricks.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    OK, 4th and 15 at the 35. The catch? The team on Offense has to use only Defensive players, and the team on Defense has to use only Offensive players. To cap things off, the referees are replaced for that play only by cheerleaders in lingerie.
    I could get behind that.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    Facelift's suggestion to allow teams to call an onside kick using the old rules shouldn't preclude teams from attempting a surprise onside kick from standard kickoff formation.

The 4th and 15 idea is interesting, but I would make the "kicking" team start at their 25 or even 20 instead of their 35. You convert you're already past midfield, that seems a little unfair to the "receiving" team.
    the way I see it is that the defense will all line up on the 50 and keep everything in front of them with that new play option
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Gronk will take 2019 off, get himself totally healthy, then attempt a return; and probably not for the Pats.

Curious what you all think of the proposed alternative to the on-side kick? In a nutshell, a team would have a one-time option, in the 4th quarter only, to attempt a 4th and 15 play from their own 35 as an alternative to attempting an on-side kick. If they move the chains, they have a drive. If they don't, turnover on downs. I know the purists will shoot this idea down, but I like it. The on-side is impossible to convert since the rule change.
    Depending how much time is left you tackle all the receivers before the ball is thrown and let the defense chase the quarterback eating up the clock. All you get is a five yard penalty every time.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Purists, you are safe. The owners shot down the proposal...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...ative-proposal
    I'm very surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Depending how much time is left you tackle all the receivers before the ball is thrown and let the defense chase the quarterback eating up the clock. All you get is a five yard penalty every time.
    And you'd repeat the down, no?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

"Dee Haslam made the expected official on Tuesday: The Browns expect to have new uniforms in 2020. "I think we got it right this time," Haslam said. The Browns last unveiled new uniforms in 2015, to mixed reviews. Haslam said she has seen drawings, and a prototype should be released in the spring of 2020. Haslam would not say if the team is going back to its traditional look, saying; "You need to be surprised."

There is a god.

Sounds like they're looking to turn the page. They're excited about their future.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

It's kind of funny. No one liked those current uniforms from the very start, and some in the media were pretty vociferous. Dee, the owners wife, reportedly didn't like them at all. Then they went 0-16 wearing them. They'll never have the best unis in the league. I know with no decal on the helmet it's not an easy job to come up with something that'll wow the fans, but at least come up with something that doesn't suck. They didn't do that last time. Fingers crossed. Whatever they come up with, we're stuck with it for 5 years.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Purists, you are safe. The owners shot down the proposal...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...ative-proposal
    Wow...first this and then this:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...lls-reviewable

what world are we living in?
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

NFL games are going to be longer than MLB games. I guess it's necessary though after last years interference catastrophe.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Or just eliminate taking a knee. Teams play until the clock runs out. Your team scores. They're down by one score to tie, or go ahead. No onside kick. You kick off. The opposition MUST move the ball. They've got 4 downs to run out the clock. If they turn the ball over now your team might still have a chance to throw a hail Mary or kick a field goal. Play until the clock runs out and whoever has more points at the end wins. No gimmicks. No tricks.
    How could you possibly eliminate taking a knee? The offense has the ball and can do whatever they want with it. If you eliminate the victory formation, they'll just hand the ball to a RB who will be told to immediately fall down. What you are essentially saying is that a team would be prohibited from intentionally taking a yardage loss, but this is not only impossible to officiate, it flies in the face of all the player safety initiatives that the league is trying to have.

they'll just hand the ball to a RB who will be told to immediately fall down. What you are essentially saying is that a team would be prohibited from intentionally taking a yardage loss, but this is not only impossible to officiate, it flies in the face of all the player safety initiatives [
    True. Safety first. What I really meant was just stop the gimmicky, onside stuff. Kick the ball off. Why is the league trying to make the losing team find some gimmicky way to get a win? I don't find that entertaining. We had 60 minutes to try and win......we lost. Tough.

Re: Taking a knee. I know that's not going away. Safety first. But I still have never liked it.

The onside kick is not a gimmick. The rule is that once the ball travels 10 yards on a kick-off it's a live ball. Been that way since way back. In fact, they've made it more difficult for a team to do so successfully by not allowing the kicking team to line everybody but one player on one side of the field.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Ok, then it shouldn't be changed. I'm glad they voted against it. But overall, whenever some new proposed rule change comes up, to make the game more entertaining, or to give a losing team a chance to pull out a final second, miracle win I usually don't like it. To me what's exciting is when my team wins, regardless if it's all on the ground, ball control, or a shootout.

I think they should eliminate the current overtime system and replace it with a series of short contests based on the American Ninja TV show and featuring the opposing quarterbacks as the contestants. Winner take all.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    NFL games are going to be longer than MLB games. I guess it's necessary though after last years interference catastrophe.
    2 challenges are 2 challenges. It is still limited to only 2. Nothing will change except a clear penalty missed by the refs will be able to be corrected.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Ok, then it shouldn't be changed. I'm glad they voted against it. But overall, whenever some new proposed rule change comes up, to make the game more entertaining, or to give a losing team a chance to pull out a final second
    but isn't that what happened to the losing Rams when the PI wasn't called?

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I was referring to the proposed change Yves brought up in reference to onside kicks. I say best to leave onside kicks continue as they are ( even though I don't like onside kicks).

Quote Originally Posted by Bartellb View Post
    I believe NFL games is already longer than MLB games. They have to speed up these reviews. There is no reason it should take over five minutes in some cases.
    If any of these leagues really cared about "speeding up pace of play" or shortening their games, then they would make the commercial breaks shorter.

The fact that they haven't tells you where their priorities are.

2 challenges are 2 challenges. It is still limited to only 2. Nothing will change except a clear penalty missed by the refs will be able to be corrected.
    And this is the problem.

The change that is really needed is to allow coaches to continue to challenge anything they want as long as they win the challenge. Teams get three time outs, so give 'em three wrong challenges.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    The Rams only got to the SB based on a missed PI call so its hard to argue they should have won the SB based on another missed PI, karma baby.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    If any of these leagues really cared about "speeding up pace of play" or shortening their games, then they would make the commercial breaks shorter.

The fact that they haven't tells you where their priorities are.

And this is the problem.

The change that is really needed is to allow coaches to continue to challenge anything they want as long as they win the challenge. Teams get three time outs, so give 'em three wrong challenges.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I'm ok with 'win the challenge, keep the challenge' but I also think 2 wrongs and yer done!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I'm ok with 'win the challenge, keep the challenge' but I also think 2 wrongs and yer done!
    Yeah, I'm good with 2 wrong challenges and you're done, be sure when you challenge, none of those it's worth a look challenges. It's meant to stop the big obvious errors.

I'd also stop the team rushing to get the next play off to prevent the team getting a good look at a replay, if it was a bad call don't reward the team by managing to rush the next play.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Try two of them.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!