Thread: The Laze

The Laze

An unpromising name for a band who turn out to be a fully fledged progressive band who come from Liverpool, UK. They floored me from the first track, 'Polygone' which starts out like a mixture of Alamaailman Vasarat and Samla Mammas then turns into Calle Debauche all within just over 3 minutes. They are a seven piece with two guitarists, keyboards, strings and a sax and they play intricate , very largely instrumental music -apart from the above mentioned track don't really sound particularly like anyone else although you can probably find plenty of peripheral influences from the avant-prog end of things. They've done two albums -'Cryptic Plumage' is the more recent and I find it more consistent than the first 'Spacetime Fabric Conditioner' which although still good has a few irritating bits in the two long tracks. Both are well worth investigating though and can be found on Bandcamp.

I’ve had Crystal Plumage for a while and like it a lot.

The music sounds good, but cassette or download is a non-starter for me. I wish them well, but I'll probably sit this one out.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    The music sounds good, but cassette or download is a non-starter for me. I wish them well, but I'll probably sit this one out.
    Its a shame there are no CDs of these two -looking at Discogs there was an earlier album called 'The Curse of the Laze' which was on CD, which I've not heard. I also found an interview where they mention three previous albums and several singles which are absent from Discogs, so they are not well documented online. There's a film soundtrack album as well which I haven't listened to yet.

Boring interjection:
    Just realised the name of the album has been changed to ‘Cryptic’ Plumage!
    I got given a promo a couple of years ago that was ‘Crystal’.

Quote Originally Posted by alanterrill View Post
    like a mixture of Alamaailman Vasarat and Samla Mammas then turns into Calle Debauche
    To put it like ol' Ruphus when he was gladly new in here: "But those names are so obscure that I seriously doubt if they even exist!!!!"

Yes, I hear the influence and the track is really good - but as with Moe, I'd love to see some physical format to this. Other than cassette, I mean; I stupidly got rid of my last tape player seven years ago on moving back to Oslo.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I like it! They reminded me quite a bit of Regal Worm (the saxes-keys rhythmic interplay). I always have a soft spot for British progheads that keep it going.

Quote Originally Posted by alanterrill View Post
    Its a shame there are no CDs of these two -looking at Discogs there was an earlier album called 'The Curse of the Laze' which was on CD, which I've not heard. I also found an interview where they mention three previous albums and several singles which are absent from Discogs, so they are not well documented online. There's a film soundtrack album as well which I haven't listened to yet.
    Yeah, I snatched the "Soundtrack" CD off of Discogs last night for around 6 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    To put it like ol' Ruphus when he was gladly new in here: "But those names are so obscure that I seriously doubt if they even exist!!!!"

Good ol' Roofis.

Just found you can get their earlier CD and Ep for just £5 : https://thelaze.bigcartel.com/ My order has gone in, I'll let you know what they're like.