Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where's the most exotic place you've visited and would you go back?

Juan Vinas, Costa Rica.

I realize that I forgot part of the thread's topic: would I return to the place I visited??

Well certainly not Iowa, that's for sure....

But in a general sense, I wouldn't return to most of these places for a few reasons:
    1- I visited what I wanted to see and feel and am glad I did so.
    2- As I posted before, there are still many place I'd want to visit, including place that I don't think I'll be able to do (political unrest mainly, but sometimes because of lack of infrastructure) before I die or am in too bad shape/health to do the trip (places like Afghanistan, Kamchatka or Tibet and Xingjian/Uygourstan)
    3- life is too short for me to return to Alaska or New Orleans, for a revisit of Norway (other than for musical reasons) or Romania, or to Bolivia and Chile.

Quote Originally Posted by hippypants View Post
    So there are travelers and others like me, less experienced. Can anyone offer any advice? I've not experienced anything crazy or anything, but I've never just winged it.
    "Winging it" is generally very expensive, because of lack of planning and maximum tariffs.... or was expensive, because nowadays, you can shop around and organize your travel with a good smartphone.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    It sort of depends on the type of travel you enjoy. I'm not an "adventure" traveler. My wife and I enjoy cities, museums, historical sites, restaurants, shopping. A bit of "outdoorsy" stuff in that context is cool, but that's not our focus.
    long gone are the days when I would grab my human-mountain buddy and a 4WD and do a raid to Alaska and Beaufort Sea or head down to Tierra Del Fuego... I did those while I was in my 20's and I'm so happy I did....
    My original between high-school and Uni trip was Istanbul to Kabul (well Kathmandu, but it didn't rhyme) in one of VW van like all hippies did.
    I'd planned that as far back as 78, but Iran and Afghanistan happened, so I did the other drug route (cocaine and Columbian gold)

But there is no way my health would permit me staying three weeks on the Altiplano (Bolivia-Peru-Chile) anymore...

So, I'd be content today of touring in a motorhome (considering buying one around pension time or rent one in the case of Oz and NZ). and ride around
    Last edited by Trane; 02-28-2019 at 04:24 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Finland and Norway and I would like to return there.

Kishnev, Moldova

Don't have pics to prove it, but it was a beautiful country circa 2000-2003.

@Buddhabreath

Even though Angkor is very much on the Asian tour circuit, and the crowds are thick, I still find it awe-inspiring, a testament to the inherent beauty and power of the structures.

On my 2nd visit, I asked the tuk tuk driver to take me to 4 or 5 of the lesser, outlying temples (I was doing the groundwork for a novel which you read about further down the ‘way off topic’ thread page).

Despite the battering heat, I found these largely forgotten, scattered ruins even more enthralling. I decided then and there that my novel’s protagonist (an aging guitarist) would have on the top of his bucket list the wish to play a live show on the grounds.

As I write this I’m drinking a craft beer in Krabi, Thailand. Can’t complain.
    Last edited by Teddy Vengeance; 02-28-2019 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Addition

Fire Island / Ukraine

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    - As a kid, we spent summers on Fire Island, the small island off the coast of Long Island, NY. This was the 60s, and the island was largely populated by writers, actors, and artists. One summer we rented the house of Alfred Bester, who wrote "The Stars My Destination." It was a great place to spend summers. No cars, you could go barefoot all summer, kids just wandered the island with no supervision. Great.
    Fire Island was notorious for the homosexuals to congregate and party. I think they still have a "clothing optional" establishment called the 'Belevedere'
    Anyways I went in the spring of 2013 with a gay friend. I was really fun tripping on LSD in daybreak and walking the boardwalk and seeing the friendly deer and mansions.

Next stop, Ukraine!!

Last edited by tommy_n_chucky; 02-28-2019 at 08:48 AM. Reason: fixed YT tag

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Went to Rio de Janeiro courtesy of Uncle Sam's Canoe Club. No desire to return and the Olympic debacle a few years back reaffirmed that.

That would be my quick advice, based on that sort of travel.

Sounds like good advice, and is sort of what I'm doing now. I'm pretty much a non-organized individual, and not highly motivated either So having something organized for me at the get-go is a plus. There is a guy on YouTube that does bike tours all over the world and they are interesting to watch, and probably do if you are the athletic type. I'm sure he's done it enough he's at ease with it. I kinda freak when I can't speak the language, but he was on one adventure and ran into a guy somewhere in the Balkans and the guy started talking in his language, and he just said hello, and spoke in American just for a short bit, and went on. Neither one knew what each other said.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy Vengeance View Post
    @Buddhabreath

Even though Angkor is very much on the Asian tour circuit, and the crowds are thick, I still find it awe-inspiring, a testament to the inherent beauty and power of the structures.

On my 2nd visit, I asked the tuk tuk driver to take me to 4 or 5 of the lesser, outlying temples (I was doing the groundwork for a novel which you read about further down the ‘way off topic’ thread page).

Despite the battering heat, I found these largely forgotten, scattered ruins even more enthralling. I decided then and there that my novel’s protagonist (an aging guitarist) would have on the top of his bucket list the wish to play a live show on the grounds.

As I write this I’m drinking a craft beer in Krabi, Thailand. Can’t complain.
    Good tip! Karabi looks spectacular. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post

Domestic
    On my bucket list is spending a good two weeks in a small town that is home to one of those heartland high schools where the town shuts down to attend a Friday night high school football game. I want to take in the town and culture. I know I'd be an outsider, but I'd love to follow the happenings of a small town like that. I've seen movies like All The Right Moves and Varsity Blues that glorifies this type of town assembly and I know it comes from Hollywood. However, I have seen news reports and other specials that concentrate on these small towns. It interests me, especially since I grew up in Southern California, where this type of cultural event isn't as prominent as a small town.

Yeah, I used to live in that town where the book and movie Friday Night Lights was written about and takes place. It sort of started a controversy once the book was released for various reasons--mostly embellishments or exaggerations. What the people in Odessa (well depending on the person) is that that sort of thing is normal for dramatizing a book/story. The town itself isn't too small town-ish, around 100,000 plus population. And then Midland is a sister city with another 100,000 plus people, so I'd say that area is a mid-sized town, but yes, with a small town "mentality". That said though, people in Texas (and the south in general) all over are sort of like that--football, Friday Night crazy. I'm not much into sports, so I don't pay that much attention, but if you have a kid in sports or a cheerleader, band, etc., then you'd probably get into it. Some parents go nuts and get caught up in the fever of whatever sport their child is in, and get into fights over it. Thankfully that's not the norm.

Some of the couches are good, others are assholes. It even gets a bit that way with college ball. I know my brother was playing football in junior high and got knocked out. The couch was screaming at him to get up and shake it off. Turns out he'd broken his arm in three places and had to go to the hospital.

But yeah, a lot of players go on to have good scholarships and make a name for themselves. I moved from West Tx to East Tx and it's all the same. You've probably heard of Johnny Manziel, who won the Heisman among other awards, but sort of fell from grace, I think for beating up his girlfriend, among other previous offenses and then got thrown in jail. And so it goes...

Tiger's Nest, Paro Taktsang, Bhutan, I think......though I've travelled around Northern India, Nepal, and espcially Sikkim a lot.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

I get to do some adventure travel for my company to out of the way places, whether I want to or not!

Lome, Togo - stayed in excellent hotel but ate at local restaurants and toured the beach-side. Not a great place to return to.
    Tunis, Tunisia - definitely an up and coming tourist area with beautiful beaches and unspoiled history. Return in a few years.
    Bogor, Indonesia - wild animal park in Java on a vacation day. The Indonesians are the happiest of all Asians. Would go back anytime.
    Barrios of Seville - made a wrong turn in Seville on vacation with my son. Made friends with the local football fans. Send me back.
    Martinique, V.I. - I worked in the ugly part of the island. I need to go back as a tourist.
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

One of the most remote, far flung places on earth: Diego Garcia, smack dab in the middle of the Indian Ocean. It's a British territory, part of the British Indian Ocean Territories (BIOT), but they lease the Island to the U.S. for use as a naval air base. When my ship anchored there and I was serving shore patrol duty, some guy came up and asked my group, "Where's downtown?" We replied, "You're looking at it!"

The second most exotic place I've been is the Philippines. That was before Subic Bay Naval Station, and Cubi Point Naval Air Station were buried in ash from the eruption of Mount Pinatubo. After that, the U.S. decided it wasn't worth rebuilding these bases, and said "paalam."

As far as returning, many guys would retire from the Navy to The Philippines back in they day. The cost of living was so low, they could afford to live off their military pension. Sure beats having to work a civilian job in the states for another 20 years, before finally reaching retirement age.
    Last edited by progmatist; 02-28-2019 at 04:44 PM.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_n_chucky View Post
    Fire Island was notorious for the homosexuals to congregate and party. I think they still have a "clothing optional" establishment called the 'Belevedere'
    Anyways I went in the spring of 2013 with a gay friend. I was really fun tripping on LSD in daybreak and walking the boardwalk and seeing the friendly deer and mansions.
    I figured this would come up, but Fire Island has (or at least had) a couple of "gay" communities, at one end of the island, but most of the island is much more family oriented.

BTW, back in the 60s there were no deer on the island, They migrated there later on when the low tides got much lower.

New Zealand. I was there for three weeks in 2015. So many stunning sights, friendly people. I think about NZ often. I definitely would go back. Wouldn't mind living there.

[QUOTE=Teddy Vengeance;884589]@Buddhabreath

QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Tiger's Nest, Paro Taktsang, Bhutan, I think......though I've travelled around Northern India, Nepal, and espcially Sikkim a lot.
    I thought it was near impossible to get into Bhutan, as the absolute monarchy in power totally discourages foreigners entering the country

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    New Zealand. I was there for three weeks in 2015. So many stunning sights, friendly people. I think about NZ often. I definitely would go back. Wouldn't mind living there.
    Yup, especially the southern island (the northern being too tropical for me - if I believe what I've read)

Not yet been there, but I know I'll love it.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I thought it was near impossible to get into Bhutan, as the absolute monarchy in power totally discourages foreigners entering the country

Yup, especially the southern island (the northern being too tropical for me - if I believe what I've read)

Not yet been there, but I know I'll love it.
    Oh no, pretty easy to get in actually....as long as you are willing to pay 250 bucks a day for the visit. They limit the numbers of visitors by high prices.

Probably the Pyramids of Giza. (Arabic for "Geezer.") Very cool to see them and the Sphinx and the army of beggars. Egyptian soldiers working the hustle too. I wouldn't go back for obvious reasons, but it was safe enough in 2007. The same cruise also visited Athens, Bulgaria, Ukraine x 2, Istanbul, Kusadasi (Ephesus,) Cyprus, Rhodes, and Alexandria/Cairo. I'd go back to Athens and Rhodes any time. Both the locales and the Greek people were wonderful, and as the stops were somewhat limited in length, much more could be gleaned from a return visit. (Such as prowling around Athens' record shops. )

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Oh no, pretty easy to get in actually....as long as you are willing to pay 250 bucks a day for the visit. They limit the numbers of visitors by high prices.
    They also educate visitors on what not to do. For example, one must literally let sleeping dogs lie. It would be similar to visitors of the Galapagos Islands being told it's not a petting zoo.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

re Bhutan: you can also get an invitation if you know someone. The visa prices are much lower, then...but honestly, it's better to pay as that $250 includes room, driver, guide, or used to. You are in charge of food, if I recall.....

If you know Buddhist customs, or are familiar with the Himalayan regional cultures in general, you'd be okay. But yes....leave the dogs alone.

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    re Bhutan: you can also get an invitation if you know someone. The visa prices are much lower, then...but honestly, it's better to pay as that $250 includes room, driver, guide, or used to. You are in charge of food, if I recall.....

If you know Buddhist customs, or are familiar with the Himalayan regional cultures in general, you'd be okay. But yes....leave the dogs alone.
    and if you're down south from the Himalaya, it's the cows you must not touch.

I guess they don't like that you mess around with their next meal up there (I guess they eat dogs there too )

Tibetans, Bhutanese and Sikkimese definitely do NOT eat dogs. They do, however, eat cows...or beef. When they can get it. Lots of cows "fall off cliffs" in the foothills......

Went all over Iceland for 2 weeks last July. Amazing trip and felt "exotic" but I always go back to my trip of Morocco in 2004. Spent a week in Spain (mostly Madrid and Seville) and then saw Gibraltar (which in itself is a strange place as well) then took the ferry across to Ceuta which is a little chunk of Spain on the Morocco mainland. It wasn't until we went to the border with Morocco late at night and took a taxi to a nearby town for the night that things got more "interesting". Spent the next two weeks around Morocco and didn't see the capital of Rabat nor Casablanca as all the travel guides tell you you don't really have to. Saw the edge of the Sahara desert (Merzouga), Fez (w/it's souqs-the market you can easily get lost in), Meknes (w/it's Roman ruins nearby), Marrakesh (probably my fav), Atlas Studios (where some movies were shot), Tangier, Essaouria (on the Atlantic) and elsewhere. News events lately are scary but my wife and I-during the height of the Iraq War-felt pretty "safe" I guess. For much of that trip we were in a car with complete freedom and we drove through some really remote areas where we really stuck out.

2- As I posted before, there are still many place I'd want to visit, including place that I don't think I'll be able to do (political unrest mainly, but sometimes because of lack of infrastructure) before I die or am in too bad shape/health to do the trip
    What are you, 80?