Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: U.K.: "Night After Night-Extended" coming 03/08/2019

U.K.: "Night After Night-Extended" coming 03/08/2019

UK - the last of the great British progressive-rock bands of the '70s. Recorded midway through their hugely successful 1979 world tour, Eddie Jobson, John Wetton and Terry Bozzio's now-legendary concerts in Osaka, Nagoya and Tokyo cemented the band's success in Japan and led to one of the classic live albums of the genre. Recently digitized from the original Japanese masters and remixed by legendary engineer Bob Clearmountain, this extended edition finally offers the full concert-length release of UK's classic "Night After Night" performances in 24-bit/96k high-fidelity stereo and 5.1 surround-sound. Fully remastered and repackaged for this special limited-edition release.

Disc: 1
    1. Night After Night
    2. Danger Money
    3. The Only Thing She Needs
    4. Nothing to Lose
    5. Bass Solo
    6. Thirty Years
    7. Carrying No Cross
    8. Rendezvous 6:02
    9. As Long As You Want Me Here

Disc: 2
    1. Alaska
    2. Time to Kill
    3. Violin Solo
    4. Time to Kill (Reprise)
    5. By the Light of Day (Part II)
    6. Presto Vivace
    7. Drum Solo
    8. In the Dead of Night
    9. Caesar's Palace Blues

Disc: 3
    1. Night After Night
    2. Danger Money
    3. The Only Thing She Needs
    4. Nothing to Lose
    5. Bass Solo
    6. Thirty Years
    7. Carrying No Cross
    8. Rendezvous 6:02
    9. As Long As You Want Me Here
    10. Alaska
    11. Time to Kill
    12. Violin Solo
    13. Time to Kill (Reprise)
    14. By the Light of Day (Part II)
    15. Presto Vivace
    16. Drum Solo
    17. In the Dead of Night
    18. Caesar's Palace Blues

Amazon US;
    https://www.amazon.com/Night-After-E...dp/B07NN68JND/

Quote Originally Posted by starless and bible black View Post
    UK - the last of the great British progressive-rock bands of the '70s. Recorded midway through their hugely successful 1979 world tour, Eddie Jobson, John Wetton and Terry Bozzio's now-legendary concerts in Osaka, Nagoya and Tokyo cemented the band's success in Japan and led to one of the classic live albums of the genre. Recently digitized from the original Japanese masters and remixed by legendary engineer Bob Clearmountain, this extended edition finally offers the full concert-length release of UK's classic "Night After Night" performances in 24-bit/96k high-fidelity stereo and 5.1 surround-sound. Fully remastered and repackaged for this special limited-edition release.
    And as mentioned on Eddie's page:

This is the high-resolution version that I digitized at Abbey Road and remixed with Bob Clearmountain in 24-bit/96k stereo and 5.1 surround-sound, previously only available in the Ultimate Collector’s Edition box set. It is being packaged as a 2xCD and 1xBlu-ray combination in an oversized Digipak with a 7-page booklet. It will be available from the usual retail outlets (Amazon etc.), as well as Disk Union in Japan and from my store at Burning Shed in England.

Sounds cool, I've always wondered if they had tapes for a full show they could release.

Also I've always thought the track "Night After Night" is either a studio track with applause added, or if is a live track there are several overdubs added.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    It's great to have the album more than doubled in length, but don't get too excited by the surround sound.

It's the stereo mix with extra channels consisting of added audio from tapes they found, from mics recording the crowd noise, added in order to give the album some extra ambiance, not a remix from scratch using multi-track tapes. (Not that it would really matter that much with a 3-piece band)

I love this live album. Autobuy!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    It's great to have the album more than doubled in length, but don't get too excited by the surround sound. (Not that it would really matter that much with a 3-piece band)
    Granted, it would be gimmicky, but depending on how many tracks were used, they could give a Bozzio's-ear sound to the drums, and multi-channel the organ so it sounded like you were inside the Leslie.

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post
    Sounds cool, I've always wondered if they had tapes for a full show they could release..
    Well, if you did wonder for years, then surely you should know this was already released two years ago as part of the UK boxed set. This is just a separate release of part of that box.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    "It is being packaged as a 2xCD and 1xBlu-ray combination in an oversized Digipak with a 7-page booklet."

Thank god it's oversized!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    It don't fit in my CD rack, praise the lord!

Thank you!

UK was a band that sounded great live. I look forward to this set (because some of us could not afford the big box set, Calyx).

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    Thank you!

UK was a band that sounded great live. I look forward to this set (because some of us could not afford the big box set, Calyx).
    But you want big boxy set.. You need big boxy set…

No, to honest I bought the box set mainly for this extended live set…

But still I like my big boxy set...

Looks cool. I don't need a whole box set, so this looks good to me.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by zeprogmeister View Post

Also I've always thought the track "Night After Night" is either a studio track with applause added, or if is a live track there are several overdubs added.
    Not sure about the overdubs but it wasn't an opening track at that point of the tour but a first encore before "Caesar's Palace Blues.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    "It is being packaged as a 2xCD and 1xBlu-ray combination in an oversized Digipak with a 7-page booklet."

And smooth!!!

Quote Originally Posted by starless and bible black View Post
    UK - the last of the great British progressive-rock bands of the '70s.
    No.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I actually have the big boxed set, which is smooth as silk. Hopefully this separate edition of Night After Night will also be smooth!

This set is $30 from Amazon US. How much was the UK box set that you refer to?

Quote Originally Posted by yesman1955 View Post
    This set is $30 from Amazon US. How much was the UK box set that you refer to?
    Can't seem to find the cost, but it wasn't cheap!

Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    No.

Agreed.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

75.00 for the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmotron View Post
    What I was expressing surprise at wasn't about not OWNING the box, but not apparently KNOWING ABOUT it or its contents - which were minutely dissected on PE at the time it was released. That 'extended' version of "Night After Night" being one of the box's unexpected previously unheard 'gems' along with the instrumental mixes for the first album.

In any case, I wasn't blaming anyone, just - again - expressing surprise given the poster's professed strong interest in the band.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    What I was expressing surprise at wasn't about not OWNING the box, but not apparently KNOWING ABOUT it or its contents - which were minutely dissected on PE at the time it was released. That 'extended' version of "Night After Night" being one of the box's unexpected previously unheard 'gems' along with the instrumental mixes for the first album.

In any case, I wasn't blaming anyone, just - again - expressing surprise given the poster's professed strong interest in the band.
    Merci/Thanks for clarifying. I think I understood that you were emphasizing him not knowing about the details but I couldn't resist just a little ribbing (kidding). I apologize if it seemed like I was being too persnickety.

Often times, when a big expensive package is announced, if I know I won't get it, I tend to not look at all that is included because it stings to see all the cool stuff I won't get.

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    I had the same feeling when I read the first posts in this thread.
    About the set itself: I've listenend to the extended version and although I think it's great that there's an official full length live-version of this period, it didn't feel (hear) as if I was listening to one whole concert. More seperate songs from different shows, with different sounding public responses.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    I had the same feeling when I read the first posts in this thread.
    About the set itself: I've listenend to the extended version and although I think it's great that there's an official full length live-version of this period, it didn't feel (hear) as if I was listening to one whole concert. More seperate songs from different shows, with different sounding public responses.
    Oh that's interesting, and maybe a deal breaker if the added tracks are not of the same sonic quality.