Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: RIP Mark Hollis

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    ^ Way to go.

I'm doing all of them except for The Party's Over tonight. In running order. Maybe not the entire albums, but my fave tunes from there. And that ending to Mark Hollis, "A New Jerusalem" - that's some ending altogether.

Some half-heavy single malt is in order.
    Wish I'd had the smarts to get Mark Hollis on vinyl when it was re-released a few years ago. It's going for some pretty serious coin nowadays...

But I can still spin those last three TT records I've got, and in fact I might do that tonight. And perhaps some single malt as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I think Japan would fit that bill.
    Yep. That was mentioned and I totally agree.

1] "Blame" you? Is it somehow the music's own "fault" that you happen to not "get it"? Is the object supposed to serve the subject's perceptive interest - rather than the latter striving to accomodate the former in a quest for growth and advancement?

Yes, I suppose there may be difficulties in "grasping" those albums if a listener's most elaborate stance on the rock/pop experience was Genesis or Yes, but luckily progressive rock music moved way beyond that already some 40+ years ago - although this might not reflect in the roster playing Progstock. It is NOT about being or feeling like an idiot, it's about merit and a frame of reference alone.

2] Numerous bands - many somewhat more radical in sound than Gentle Giant and Genesis - did that exact thing. But we don't need new posts or threads on it, as such are featured regularly in here. Whether or not they are actually read is a completely other matter, I guess.
    Wow, now you're really going there. Dude. Me-the one person-me-Robert just doesn't quite get Talk Talk's masterworks....yet....or maybe never. We shall see. But man, I wish I were you, presently able to understand and fully enjoy Talk Talk and other music as well that must be amazing. It's not "the music's fault". I just said I didn't get it and then went on to praise it actually.

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    I find this response very condescending and really not in the true spirit of listening to music..
    Ya think?

Please elaborate, because this was not the intention of the response.
    Oh I don't know, maybe going directly to dropping the name "ProgStock" which you'd have to read other threads to even know how that's pretty damn snarky 101.

Only saw them once - at Milton Keynes when they opened the Six of The Best concert and got a lot of bottles lobbed at them. Of course that was in their poppier phase. RIP

I just saw that Mark Hollis’ solo album is getting another re-release on vinyl. This is exciting news for me, as I haven’t been able to find a copy that wasn’t listed at hundreds of dollars.

I’ve got the final three Talk Talk albums on vinyl, and they sound wonderful. Hoping this one will do well.