Thread: Sometime a nice surprise

Sometime a nice surprise

Yes, sometime "walking" on youtube you can find a nice surprise.
    I dont know if somebody has already seen this video, about 10.000 hits are not so much, but if you don't you have to do it.
    The two guitarists are from Children of Bodom band (from Finland). I think they are better than Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert and other speed guitarist. They give to the two classic pieces a new life, not only cold technique.
    However I'm interesting to see if your opinion is the same as mine or not.

PS: I have corrected the URL.
    Last edited by musicfan; 02-21-2013 at 02:44 PM.

At least I'm not the only one who just can't post vids no matter what I do.
    High Vibration Go On - R.I.P. Chris Squire

Yes I use Firefox on Mac and I have some problem with video on this forum, so I have now added a direct link on my previous post

Here is how to post videos:
    [ video ] http://youtu.be/uhUXkCAiiug [ /video ]
    Without the spaces

Damn kids and their rock 'n roll music!!
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by adewolf View Post
    Here is how to post videos:
    [ video ] http://youtu.be/uhUXkCAiiug [ /video ]
    Without the spaces
    Thank you However I have to use Chrome to see the video, with Firefox I see only a black square.

ANYTHING that gets the youngin's listening to classical music is fine with me -- even hardcore rap.

Quote Originally Posted by musicfan View Post
    Yes, sometime "walking" on youtube you can find a nice surprise.
    I dont know if somebody has already seen this video, about 10.000 hits are not so much, but if you don't you have to do it.
    The two guitarists are from Children of Bodom band (from Finland). I think they are better than Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert and other speed guitarist. They give to the two classic pieces a new life, not only cold technique.
    However I'm interesting to see if your opinion is the same as mine or not.
    When you see the two guitarists playing this particular part of Vivaldi's Summer, notice what you hear is not only these two guitars --- there is an orchestral recording playing in the background, with violins. You should realize that the "warmth" you're talking about is actually *mainly* because of this nice full orchestral sound in the background. The guitarists are only doubling the violins that are already playing. So, the two guys are pretty much *only entering into the mix*, fattening it, but not really changing the fundamental sound/arrangement that's already there. The "life" you talk about is actually being delivered pretty much *by the orchestra* alone -- the two guys are just replicating that.

When you say "cold" for performances of other musicians, also think about what you are hearing here from these two guys. Because this particular part of Vivaldi's Summer they're playing is a *continually fast* part and *full of notes without much gaps*, there isn't really much room/opportunity in this particular music for them to introduce new "warmth" into it (via performance/accents/variations). They're probably happy enough about trying to make sure they play all the notes cleanly. Also, as a composition, this part of Summer might actually be considered "cold and mechanical" by some people, compared to some other fast classical music that has more dynamics.

In summary, the two guys aren't really bringing anything new to this. They're just doubling the string instruments in the orchestra's background performance.

I like the two guitars' performance. It's clean. The cleanness of their overall sound is not only because they have practiced this well. I think there are other factors: a fairly clean distortion sound, low volume, guitars suitable to this type of playing. By contrast, Malmsteen plays loud and on a Strat (this brings the distinctive Strat sound into the sound), and using scalloped frets (which I think heightens fret noise that arises when the playing is loud/fast). If Malmsteen wanted to play on a non-Strat (customized for a controlled clean distortion sound), without scalloped frets, I bet his very fast playing would suddenly sound a lot more palatable to many listeners. Also, Malmsteen sounds cleaner in studio albums, try them out, especially the first one ("Rising Force" released in the 80s). You might agree that he often brings "life" into classical music pretty well…

(Notice I only talked about the two guitarists --- notice the video also has a second part with a different (one) guitarist, I haven't talked about that part.)

Hopefully this is the sort of response you were looking for...Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Yaman Aksu View Post
    When you see the two guitarists playing this particular part of Vivaldi's Summer, notice what you hear is not only these two guitars --- there is an orchestral recording playing in the background, with violins. You should realize that the "warmth" you're talking about is actually *mainly* because of this nice full orchestral sound in the background. The guitarists are only doubling the violins that are already playing. So, the two guys are pretty much *only entering into the mix*, fattening it, but not really changing the fundamental sound/arrangement that's already there. The "life" you talk about is actually being delivered pretty much *by the orchestra* alone -- the two guys are just replicating that.

[...]

Hopefully this is the sort of response you were looking for...Cheers.
    I'm happy of your response I am only 2 or 3 days on this forum and I dont know if ppl here like only prog or other styles too, so I've tried.
    I was searchin' for a discussion about that video and I've found it.
    At first I was very impressing of the technique of those guitarists (that I had never listened to before) and still I think it is very good. Some years ago I had two friends that was playing speed metal and with one of them I have played for one year, so I know something about the artists of those years (just a little).
    I'm completely agree with all you have written, but one dubt: don't you think that the orchestra effect could be done with some electornic equipment? I'm not up to date with the new equipments, so I don't know if it is possible. In the second video you can listen to a second guitar and drums but you cannot see them: is there a hidden band or a tape or a midi equipment?

More then Malmsteen, our idol was Paul Gilbert, because my friends were followers of his technique. So I know better him (but I have some CDs of Malmsteen too). He had a terrible technique but poor on fantasy and really I think speed metal rarely give us very high level melodic material. Indeed it is very easy to use the Vivaldi's and Beethoven's mind instead of create new harmonies... but I like to listen to rock versions of classic music (one of my preferred band is/was Nightwish with Tarja). I was interested to know other opinion also for to see the effect that this music gives to other people, also ppl that doesn't like metal (really you seem to like it and to be an expert).

Sorry for my English... I hope not to do too many mistakes and not to be hard to be read.