Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Mike + The Mechanics Album and tour with Phil Collins

New Mike + The Mechanics Album and tour with Phil Collins

Hot off the heels of their 2017 release - as bland and boring as that album was imho - they are back with a new album and upcoming tour dates with Phil:

From the press release:

The album will feature re-workings of some of the band’s best-loved tracks, including The Living Years and Over My Shoulder, along with three brand new songs: One Way, What Would You Do and the new single Out Of The Blue. The Deluxe CD will also include six acoustic tracks: Don’t Know What Came Over Me, The Best Is Yet To Come, The Living Years, Beggar On A Beach Of Gold, Another Cup Of Coffee and Over My Shoulder.

Mike Rutherford explains: “Having toured with the Mechanics over the last 10 years, I have heard the old songs change a bit each year with Andrew Roachford and Tim Howar singing and the same band playing. In some cases they have been extended and developed, so it seemed a good idea to record these versions in the studio. Anyone who has seen us live will, I’m sure, like to hear the old ones in this form as they show how the two singers work so well together – especially on a song like Get Up, which has become a double lead vocal. Recording the unplugged version was like in the old days – down the stairs into a basement studio not 50 yards away from Trident Studios where we recorded Genesis’ second and third albums. We recorded these live and Tim and Andrew led the songs with great vocal performances, and we mixed it as we recorded it like in the past. No wonder albums took a maximum of three weeks to complete then! We have also written and recorded three new songs which show the Mechanics next stage – I hope!”

While Mike & The Mechanics are currently on the road on the Looking Back Over My Shoulder tour, it’s also been revealed that they’ll be special guests of Phil Collins for six shows in June.

Mike & The Mechanics: Out Of The Blue
    1. One Way
    2. Out Of The Blue
    3. What Would You Do
    4. The Living Years
    5. Beggar On A Beach Of Gold
    6. Get Up
    7. Another Cup Of Coffee
    8. All I Need Is A Miracle
    9. Silent Running
    10. Over My Shoulder
    11. Word Of Mouth
    12. Don’t Know What Came Over Me (deluxe CD/digital)
    13. The Best Is Yet To Come (deluxe CD/digital)
    14. The Living Years (deluxe CD/digital)
    15. Beggar On A Beach Of Gold (deluxe CD/digital)
    16. Another Cup Of Coffee (deluxe CD/digital)
    17. Over My Shoulder (deluxe CD/digital)

Phil Collins tour dates with Mike & The Mechanics
    Jun 02: Vienna Ernst Happel Stadion, Austria
    Jun 04: Lyon Groupama Stadium, France
    Jun 05: Stuttgart Mercedes-Benz Arena, Germany
    Jun 07: Berlin Olympiastadion, Germany
    Jun 08: Aarhus Ceres Park, Denmark
    Jun 10: Bergen Bergenhus Festning, Norway

Frankly, I liked the last release. Sure, it’s not “old” Mike & The Mechanics, it’s not Genesis, nor is it Small Creepsday (I wish!!). But it was good pop, which isn’t done much anymore. I’ll be looking forward to this, especially the deluxe version....
    So much music....so little time....

Quote Originally Posted by flatliner View Post
    Frankly, I liked the last release. Sure, it’s not “old” Mike & The Mechanics, it’s not Genesis, nor is it Small Creepsday (I wish!!). But it was good pop, which isn’t done much anymore.
    I wanted to like it. I really enjoyed the Paul Carrack/Paul Young era of the band and the albums they released. Just every song on their 2017 release seemed a bit uninspired and a bit too generic. I'm not always a fan of a band releasing an album of them re-working their older material, but I will definitely give this one a chance.

To be honest, I didn't even really care for old Mechanics for some reason. There was a nice chord change in 'Taken In' on their first album, and 'You Are The One' sounded kinda cool, and I think 'Beautiful Day' was a cool song from their 2nd album. Other than that it just wasn't really my thing. Perhaps if I gave more listens as often Rutherford compositions can be growers, but with so much other music that I connect with so much more...

The ONE M&TM track I really, really like is a b-side called 'Too Far Gone'. Why that couldn't have been on an actual cd is beyond me, it's really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    To be honest, I didn't even really care for old Mechanics for some reason. There was a nice chord change in 'Taken In' on their first album, and 'You Are The One' sounded kinda cool, and I think 'Beautiful Day' was a cool song from their 2nd album. Other than that it just wasn't really my thing. Perhaps if I gave more listens as often Rutherford compositions can be growers, but with so much other music that I connect with so much more...

The ONE M&TM track I really, really like is a b-side called 'Too Far Gone'. Why that couldn't have been on an actual cd is beyond me, it's really nice.
    I'm not much of a fan either, but that is a really enjoyable track. Never heard it - thanks for mentioning it.

It was released on The Singles + Rarities CD several years back. Not many people know that one.

For me, M+tM, like Asia, is one of those bands where I could make about an hour-long CD of my own favourites and discard the rest of their career. But the songs I do like, I like a lot. The Letter, Another Cup Of Coffee, Someone Always Hates Someone, Mea Culpa, The Ghost Of Sex And You, Boys At The Front, Underscore... all good tracks IMO.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I thought M+tM's first album was excellent, as a pop record. I liked some of the second, some from Beggar, and then kinda lost track of them. I then heard a few from their latest, and found it incredibly boring and just limp. I'd have to hear some of this new one before pulling the trigger.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I thought M+tM's first album was excellent, as a pop record. I liked some of the second, some from Beggar, and then kinda lost track of them. I then heard a few from their latest, and found it incredibly boring and just limp. I'd have to hear some of this new one before pulling the trigger.
    I like "One Left Standing" from the Rewired album in 2004.

A week or two ago, there was a question about Phil on Who Wants To Be a Millionaire. The question was along the lines of a drummer turned front man, who injured his vocal chords, and therefore can't sing so well anymore.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Mike? and Phil? Are you saying that Genesis is reforming, with a new album and tour planned?
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

Quote Originally Posted by bigbassdrum View Post
    Mike? and Phil? Are you saying that Genesis is reforming, with a new album and tour planned?
    No. That is not going to happen. Mike is opening for Phil on this tour. However, in the same way pioneered by NIN opening for David Bowie on the Outland tour, there will be a transition song where the Mike set morphs into the Phil set. That will be achieved by Phil coming out and singing a song with M+tM as his backing band. The song rumored to be chosen for this?..."Supper's Ready."

I also never heard this before, so thanks. It's the one M+M track I can name that sounds like Genesis, and that has any of Mike's characteristic guitar in evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    The song rumored to be chosen for this?..."Supper's Ready."
    Well they were going to until Mike decided it was a bit too fiddly.

Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    Well they were going to until Mike decided it was a bit too fiddly.
    "Looking back... it's a bit busy. When we wrote that, we were intense young men. It's a period piece. D'yknow what I mean?"

(Courtesy of the Mike Rutherford interview response generator.)
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    I also never heard this before, so thanks. It's the one M+M track I can name that sounds like Genesis, and that has any of Mike's characteristic guitar in evidence.
    Too Far Gone dates back to 1982, in fact it's an Acting Very Strange outtake, even if it was first released on the b-side of the Silent Running 12'' single.
    It's actually a Mike Rutherford solo track.

Just like Phil Collins The Man With The Horn, which is a Hello I Must Be Going Outtake, but was first released on the b-side of Sussudio (EU) or One More Night (USA) later in 1985.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    "Looking back... it's a bit busy. When we wrote that, we were intense young men. It's a period piece. D'yknow what I mean?"

Mike just did an extensive interview with Rolling Stone (https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...ollins-821825/), where he discusses his solo albums, how the Mechanics stopped connecting in America after their first two albums, his dissatisfaction with the Rewired album, and why he decided to re-boot the band. Then there is also this interesting exchange about Genesis:

RS: Do you miss playing the songs? There are things like “Watcher of the Skies” and “The Musical Box” that you haven’t played in almost 40 years.
    Mike: Yeah. What’s interesting is that I used to do Genesis and the Mechanics alternating. I’ve just done Mechanics now for the last eight years. I rather miss the alternating part, the Genesis songs.

RS: How do you feel about Steve Hackett’s show where he goes out and does Genesis songs?
    Mike: It’s what he chooses to do, really. It wouldn’t work for me, if you know what I mean. He was in Genesis. He wanted a solo career. And now he’s playing Genesis. It’s his choice. I’m sure it’s good. But for me, I wouldn’t … I do three Genesis songs in a two-hour set. That’s enough for me, I think. That feels fine.

RS: I think of a band like Yes right now that’s just Steve Howe and other people, but they attract big crowds and they keep the music alive. There’s never been any thought about you and Tony and maybe other people doing shows, maybe not even calling it Genesis?
    Mike: That wouldn’t get me going, really.

RS: Why?
    Mike: I wouldn’t want to do it. Having done it with Phil, Peter and Tony, I wouldn’t want to do it with other people.

RS: Do you think the hardcore fans should let go of the dream of a reunion with Peter Gabriel?
    Mike: That’s a problem. They always talk about it, but I don’t know what we’d do, if you know what I mean. If Phil was drumming it might be a different story, but he’s not drumming. People love the idea, but they haven’t thought it out as to what we’d do. You never know, but that’s a harder one, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    RS: How do you feel about Steve Hackett’s show where he goes out and does Genesis songs?
    Mike: It’s what he chooses to do, really. It wouldn’t work for me, if you know what I mean. He was in Genesis. He wanted a solo career. And now he’s playing Genesis. It’s his choice. I’m sure it’s good. But for me, I wouldn’t … I do three Genesis songs in a two-hour set. That’s enough for me, I think. That feels fine.
    This again. I'm now off the bus as far as Hackett's new solo output is concerned but he does actually play his solo material in the set-lists as well, Mr. Rutherford!

And presumably he's OK doing the 'Mechanics with 'other people'!

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    And presumably he's OK doing the 'Mechanics with 'other people'!
    In fairness, the newer Mechanics lineup records, releases, and plays new music together, they don't just tour the old band's hits.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron
    Looking back... it's a bit busy. When we wrote that, we were intense young men. It's a period piece. D'yknow what I mean?"

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    So... there isn't a Mike Rutherford interview response generator or is there?
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

We could use a Rock journalist question generator just for former members of Genesis.

1. Genesis question.
    2. Follow up Genesis question.
    3. "But isn't it true that..." Genesis question.
    4. "What do you say to fans..." Genesis question.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

Mike joins Phil for a Genesis tune in their tour:

And this is why there shouldn't be a reunion. Phil sitting in a chair while his kid plays drums just doesn't add up to the production we would expect of a Genesis reunion. This would be more sad than exciting. Small clubs is where he and Mike belong.

Quote Originally Posted by saucyjackstl View Post
    And this is why there shouldn't be a reunion. Phil sitting in a chair while his kid plays drums just doesn't add up to the production we would expect of a Genesis reunion. This would be more sad than exciting. Small clubs is where he and Mike belong.
    I disagree, to it doesn't matter if Phil is sitting down but whether his voice sounds great or not, and from the videos I've seen, he's singing pretty darn good. A year or more ago, I cringed when he first started singing out in public again, and never thought he'd get his voice back, but I like what I'm hearing, he's much stronger and confident.
    I would have one suggestion for Phil tho, and that's regarding his stage wardrobe. Wearing a jogging outfit every night doesn't look good on stage and only draws attention(imo)to his health issues.
    Nice white shirt and dress pants like he used to wear would be nice.

Also his son knows this music like the back of his hand, and all reports are he's not just Phil's kid, but an excellent drummer.
    I wouldn't go to a Genesis reunion concert just to go, they would have to be nailing it, or it just wouldn't work for me.

I doubt it will ever happen anyway, but we'll just agree to disagree, ok?
    Last edited by Top Cat; 06-10-2019 at 12:32 PM.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

A nice one-off performance. Wouldn't be a must-see event. But then, why should it be? Nice to see 2 friends having a good time.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!