Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 47 of 47

Thread: New Mike + The Mechanics Album and tour with Phil Collins

  1. #26
    Member lazland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    107
    Yes, nice to see them enjoying themselves, but, by God, Phil looks old and weak. Whilst his voice didn't sound all that bad on that clip, he suffers from the problem of most older singers, in that the high notes are difficult to do, so he doesn't do them, and he quite clearly would be incapable of performing tracks such as Dodo/Lurker, Musical Box, and the Duke's End stuff, simply because of the energy required for such performances, which sadly seem beyond him in that state.

    Let's leave great memories of a great band and performer where they belong - in our memories and hearts. A Genesis reunion would be a travesty now.

  2. #27
    Moderator Sean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,452
    This^^^^ And the ticket prices for Phil are way too much for him even in his prime. Most certainly not on his last trek around the track.

  3. #28
    Member PotatoSolution's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    35
    I'm surprised they decided to do "Follow You Follow Me". It's not the proggiest song in the catalog, but it's also not "Hold On My Heart".

  4. #29
    Aw, Phil doesn't look too good but he sounds great.

  5. #30
    Member Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    N of Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    1,125
    Quote Originally Posted by lazland View Post
    Y
    Let's leave great memories of a great band and performer where they belong - in our memories and hearts. A Genesis reunion would be a travesty now.
    I think that's a great comment.
    We went to the reunion tour and I felt like they were pushing it then. By that tour they had already lowered the key in many of the songs which most times changes the song a bit. I actually liked the songs in a lower key for a change, and it was much easier to sing along cause I can never hit those high notes Phil could.
    The We Can't Dance tour was good since I happen to think there were some good songs on that album, but my favorite tour is the one with the Live in Wembley DVD(we also saw them live). Think that was Genesis at their peak.
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxU..._as=subscriber

  6. #31
    Progdog ThomasKDye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Vallejo, CA
    Posts
    600
    Quote Originally Posted by lazland View Post
    Yes, nice to see them enjoying themselves, but, by God, Phil looks old and weak. Whilst his voice didn't sound all that bad on that clip, he suffers from the problem of most older singers, in that the high notes are difficult to do, so he doesn't do them, and he quite clearly would be incapable of performing tracks such as Dodo/Lurker, Musical Box, and the Duke's End stuff, simply because of the energy required for such performances, which sadly seem beyond him in that state.

    Let's leave great memories of a great band and performer where they belong - in our memories and hearts. A Genesis reunion would be a travesty now.
    I have to agree with this. I watched this and my heart broke to see Phil in this state. It's sweet to see Mike and Phil sitting together to do this, but I just kept seeing Daryl as a stoic soldier and Mike as a friend comforting another friend in their declining years. I'm glad Phil wanted to get out and perform again, but we should let Genesis go. Right now all I want is a Tony Banks prog-pop album anyway (which I know I'll never get).

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    The We Can't Dance tour was good since I happen to think there were some good songs on that album
    The 1992 show at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles was the one and only Genesis show I got to see and it was one of the happiest memories of my life. People can bitch about the medleys but I thought they included all the best parts and I love Daryl's take on the "Firth of Fifth" solo. I'll never forget it.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

  7. #32
    Insect Overlord Progatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    southern Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    2,480
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Right now all I want is a Tony Banks prog-pop album anyway (which I know I'll never get).
    I'd love that too, but you're right, another one of those isn't in the cards. I think it was just too frustrating for him to put all that work into those albums and have them fail, each of them performing worse than its predecessor (I love his albums personally, and always did buy them as they came out). He has had a bit of sales and acclaim for his orchestral albums in recent years though, and I love those so I'd be happy with another one.



    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    The 1992 show at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles was the one and only Genesis show I got to see and it was one of the happiest memories of my life. People can bitch about the medleys but I thought they included all the best parts and I love Daryl's take on the "Firth of Fifth" solo. I'll never forget it.
    The WCD tour was also my one and only Genesis concert, at the SkyDome in Toronto. I always remember the date because it's D-Day anniversary (June 6), which just passed. 27 years ago now, hard to believe... but I loved it too and it is also a very happy memory for me. I passed on the 2007 reunion tour for reasons others have mentioned, although I bought the live album/DVD. And that was when the guys were in their mid-late 50s... a further twelve years on, well... my opinion is probably obvious.
    Two boys have been found rubbing linseed oil into the school cormorant.

  8. #33
    Orange Tick Squasher Buddhabreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Divided Snakes of America
    Posts
    1,331
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I think that's a great comment.
    ... but my favorite tour is the one with the Live in Wembley ... Think that was Genesis at their peak.
    What? You are hereby censured by the Invisible Prog Purity Police Force!

    But seriously different strokes and all that. Other than the In the Cage Medley and Los Endos it was a pop concert and way, way off their peak in my book. I still remember like yesterday buying Wind & Wuthering and hearing the insipid pop pablum of "Your Own Special Way" for the first time. At that moment as good as other parts of the album were, I knew it was the end of Genesis as a a real prog band. I even remember being embarrassed because I had hard-core prog/heavy rock friends listening with me to our "local debut", and the look on some of their faces seeming to say "What kind of light-weight, fairy crap are you subjecting us to here man? You're killing our buzz!".
    The combined fortunes of the world's 26 richest individuals reached $1.4 trillion last year — the same amount as the total wealth of the 3.8 billion poorest people.

  9. #34
    Member Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    N of Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    1,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    What? You are hereby censured by the Invisible Prog Purity Police Force!

    But seriously different strokes and all that. Other than the In the Cage Medley and Los Endos it was a pop concert and way, way off their peak in my book. I still remember like yesterday buying Wind & Wuthering and hearing the insipid pop pablum of "Your Own Special Way" for the first time. At that moment as good as other parts of the album were, I knew it was the end of Genesis as a a real prog band. I even remember being embarrassed because I had hard-core prog/heavy rock friends listening with me to our "local debut", and the look on some of their faces seeming to say "What kind of light-weight, fairy crap are you subjecting us to here man? You're killing our buzz!".
    oh no mr bill, not censured!!
    My favorite post Gabriel albums are Trick, Wind and Wuthering and even Then There Were Three(it helped me through a difficult personal time, so it has special meaning to me).
    I know it goes against prog rules, but I have always liked Domino. I am also a synthesizer freak and had a Emulator II sampler like Tony had. So whenever I saw him playing it I got all mushy.
    The no prog Genesis was fine with me because I loved Tony's keyboard playing and Phil's voice so I just sat back and enjoyed it, and if I wanted prog I'd play something else.
    I can't understand how anyone could be expecting prog from Genesis after The Lamb and Peter's departure. Genesis as a prog band ceased to exist after that.
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxU..._as=subscriber

  10. #35
    Member bill g's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Mount Rainier
    Posts
    1,909
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    oh no mr bill, not censured!!
    My favorite post Gabriel albums are Trick, Wind and Wuthering and even Then There Were Three(it helped me through a difficult personal time, so it has special meaning to me).
    I know it goes against prog rules, but I have always liked Domino. I am also a synthesizer freak and had a Emulator II sampler like Tony had. So whenever I saw him playing it I got all mushy.
    The no prog Genesis was fine with me because I loved Tony's keyboard playing and Phil's voice so I just sat back and enjoyed it, and if I wanted prog I'd play something else.
    I can't understand how anyone could be expecting prog from Genesis after The Lamb and Peter's departure. Genesis as a prog band ceased to exist after that.
    Domino is pretty proggy in my book, and 'Do The Neurotic' is pure prog magic to my ears. Also, I find musically tracks like 'One For The Vine' as much or more adventurous musically than anything on the Lamb. I'd say Genesis didn't scale back their progginess until 'And Then There Were Three', but never completely abandoned it.

  11. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,590
    Unless they do a 'new' album (extremely unlikely!), as far as I'm concerned the 2007 reunion closed the book on that particular period of Genesis anyway. It fully restored their commercial reputation after it had taken a bit of a battering with the cancelled Ray Wilson-era US tour.

    I do know his son Nicholas has said he would love to play the Genesis stuff live.

  12. #37
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Sussex, England.
    Posts
    1,053
    Jeepers, Phil's voice is awful in that clip. I love the man for what he did with Genesis in the 70's but maybe its time to retire gracefully?

  13. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Jeepers, Phil's voice is awful in that clip. I love the man for what he did with Genesis in the 70's but maybe its time to retire gracefully?
    I just saw this clip on Youtube and have to agree he looks and sounds very frail in this.. Kinda feel for the guy.. this isn't what I would call a graceful exit..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4Up_RGqw3k

  14. #39
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Burlington Twp, NJ
    Posts
    976
    Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    I just saw this clip on Youtube and have to agree he looks and sounds very frail in this.. Kinda feel for the guy.. this isn't what I would call a graceful exit..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4Up_RGqw3k
    See post #22 in this thread. That’s what we’ve been talking about.

  15. #40
    Member SunshipVoyager1976's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Philadelphia 'burbs
    Posts
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSolution View Post
    I'm surprised they decided to do "Follow You Follow Me". It's not the proggiest song in the catalog, but it's also not "Hold On My Heart".
    I would guess it is because FYFM is Mike's lyric, and HOMH is Tony's music and Phil's lyric.

    It is also pretty unchallenging in the vocal and guitar department.

  16. #41
    Orange Tick Squasher Buddhabreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Divided Snakes of America
    Posts
    1,331
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    oh no mr bill, not censured!!
    My favorite post Gabriel albums are Trick, Wind and Wuthering and even Then There Were Three(it helped me through a difficult personal time, so it has special meaning to me).
    I know it goes against prog rules, but I have always liked Domino. I am also a synthesizer freak and had a Emulator II sampler like Tony had. So whenever I saw him playing it I got all mushy.
    The no prog Genesis was fine with me because I loved Tony's keyboard playing and Phil's voice so I just sat back and enjoyed it, and if I wanted prog I'd play something else.
    I can't understand how anyone could be expecting prog from Genesis after The Lamb and Peter's departure. Genesis as a prog band ceased to exist after that.
    OK I admit it: I like the first three albums following Gabriel's departure. TOTL was very much still in the prog wheelhouse for me as was a good part of W&W and even TTWT has some proggy stuff but also some fine songs with some really good lyrics. You have to consider that I was a spotty little prog fanatic with an unreasonable replusion of all things commercial back then. TTWT has grown on me (not all of it), but I dropped off entirely after that and moved on to VDGG, Henry Cow and basically anything I percieved as being rejected by the corporate-feed sheople.

    I tried Mike and the Mechanics back when the first couple of albums came out but it wasn't at all for me. Haven't bothered since - that was many moons ago.
    The combined fortunes of the world's 26 richest individuals reached $1.4 trillion last year — the same amount as the total wealth of the 3.8 billion poorest people.

  17. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Mike joins Phil for a Genesis tune in their tour:





    fuck I got a little choked up watching this;

    - it's always been a great sappy sort of love song (and I've always loved Tony's solo; the sound and the layering of his lines.) so the tune itself

    - the tandem of Phil's obvious age related limitations in contrast with the by now standard "look at what we looked like in the past" video montage just makes me realize that WE ALL GET OLD ARE GONNA DIE




    so, a confluence of complex and not so complex emotions lol



    but fuck me, I do so love Genesis
    2trevorsforlife

  18. #43
    Member Garyhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    414
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Mike joins Phil for a Genesis tune in their tour:

    You saw it here first.......Nursing Home Prog Concerts.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

    "It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

    I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

    (Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

    Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

  19. #44
    Member Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    N of Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    1,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    I tried Mike and the Mechanics back when the first couple of albums came out but it wasn't at all for me. Haven't bothered since - that was many moons ago.
    ah, confessions are good for the soul...lol, now let's talk about those couple of Nickelback albums you have hidden in between the mattress.

    Regarding Mike Rutherford's solo work, did you ever listen to Smallcreep's Day? It's one of my favorite's from him. It's pre Mechanics and as close to Genesis as he ever got.
    Ant Phillips – keyboards
    Noel McCalla – vocals
    Simon Phillips – drums
    Morris Pert – percussion
    Mike Rutherford – guitars, basses

    Production

    David Hentschel – production, engineering
    David Bascombe – production and engineering assistant
    Andy Mackrill – equipment
    Dale Newman – equipment
    Geoff Banks – equipment
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxU..._as=subscriber

  20. #45
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Crimea River
    Posts
    5,698
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Mike joins Phil for a Genesis tune in their tour:

    Was that Mike Rutherford or Mr. Rourke? And who's that little guy sitting next to him?
    "If you want to see the true nature of humanity, just look at the internet."

    http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

  21. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    ah, confessions are good for the soul...lol, now let's talk about those couple of Nickelback albums you have hidden in between the mattress.

    Regarding Mike Rutherford's solo work, did you ever listen to Smallcreep's Day? It's one of my favorite's from him. It's pre Mechanics and as close to Genesis as he ever got.
    Ant Phillips – keyboards
    Noel McCalla – vocals
    Simon Phillips – drums
    Morris Pert – percussion
    Mike Rutherford – guitars, basses

    Production

    David Hentschel – production, engineering
    David Bascombe – production and engineering assistant
    Andy Mackrill – equipment
    Dale Newman – equipment
    Geoff Banks – equipment
    Smallcreep's Day is excellent.

  22. #47
    Orange Tick Squasher Buddhabreath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Divided Snakes of America
    Posts
    1,331
    I only vauguely recall Smallcreep's Day from back in the day so perhaps I can revisit. As far as Nickelback goes, I honestly never heard them and from what I read that makes me a lucky man. ;-)
    The combined fortunes of the world's 26 richest individuals reached $1.4 trillion last year — the same amount as the total wealth of the 3.8 billion poorest people.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •