Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Mike + The Mechanics Album and tour with Phil Collins

Yes, nice to see them enjoying themselves, but, by God, Phil looks old and weak. Whilst his voice didn't sound all that bad on that clip, he suffers from the problem of most older singers, in that the high notes are difficult to do, so he doesn't do them, and he quite clearly would be incapable of performing tracks such as Dodo/Lurker, Musical Box, and the Duke's End stuff, simply because of the energy required for such performances, which sadly seem beyond him in that state.

Let's leave great memories of a great band and performer where they belong - in our memories and hearts. A Genesis reunion would be a travesty now.

This^^^^ And the ticket prices for Phil are way too much for him even in his prime. Most certainly not on his last trek around the track.

I'm surprised they decided to do "Follow You Follow Me". It's not the proggiest song in the catalog, but it's also not "Hold On My Heart".

Aw, Phil doesn't look too good but he sounds great.

Quote Originally Posted by lazland View Post
    Y
    Let's leave great memories of a great band and performer where they belong - in our memories and hearts. A Genesis reunion would be a travesty now.
    I think that's a great comment.
    We went to the reunion tour and I felt like they were pushing it then. By that tour they had already lowered the key in many of the songs which most times changes the song a bit. I actually liked the songs in a lower key for a change, and it was much easier to sing along cause I can never hit those high notes Phil could.
    The We Can't Dance tour was good since I happen to think there were some good songs on that album, but my favorite tour is the one with the Live in Wembley DVD(we also saw them live). Think that was Genesis at their peak.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by lazland View Post
    Yes, nice to see them enjoying themselves, but, by God, Phil looks old and weak. Whilst his voice didn't sound all that bad on that clip, he suffers from the problem of most older singers, in that the high notes are difficult to do, so he doesn't do them, and he quite clearly would be incapable of performing tracks such as Dodo/Lurker, Musical Box, and the Duke's End stuff, simply because of the energy required for such performances, which sadly seem beyond him in that state.

I have to agree with this. I watched this and my heart broke to see Phil in this state. It's sweet to see Mike and Phil sitting together to do this, but I just kept seeing Daryl as a stoic soldier and Mike as a friend comforting another friend in their declining years. I'm glad Phil wanted to get out and perform again, but we should let Genesis go. Right now all I want is a Tony Banks prog-pop album anyway (which I know I'll never get).

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    The We Can't Dance tour was good since I happen to think there were some good songs on that album
    The 1992 show at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles was the one and only Genesis show I got to see and it was one of the happiest memories of my life. People can bitch about the medleys but I thought they included all the best parts and I love Daryl's take on the "Firth of Fifth" solo. I'll never forget it.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Right now all I want is a Tony Banks prog-pop album anyway (which I know I'll never get).
    I'd love that too, but you're right, another one of those isn't in the cards. I think it was just too frustrating for him to put all that work into those albums and have them fail, each of them performing worse than its predecessor (I love his albums personally, and always did buy them as they came out). He has had a bit of sales and acclaim for his orchestral albums in recent years though, and I love those so I'd be happy with another one.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    The 1992 show at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles was the one and only Genesis show I got to see and it was one of the happiest memories of my life. People can bitch about the medleys but I thought they included all the best parts and I love Daryl's take on the "Firth of Fifth" solo. I'll never forget it.
    The WCD tour was also my one and only Genesis concert, at the SkyDome in Toronto. I always remember the date because it's D-Day anniversary (June 6), which just passed. 27 years ago now, hard to believe... but I loved it too and it is also a very happy memory for me. I passed on the 2007 reunion tour for reasons others have mentioned, although I bought the live album/DVD. And that was when the guys were in their mid-late 50s... a further twelve years on, well... my opinion is probably obvious.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Banned
    I think that's a great comment.
    ... but my favorite tour is the one with the Live in Wembley ... Think that was Genesis at their peak.
    What? You are hereby censured by the Invisible Prog Purity Police Force!

But seriously different strokes and all that. Other than the In the Cage Medley and Los Endos it was a pop concert and way, way off their peak in my book. I still remember like yesterday buying Wind & Wuthering and hearing the insipid pop pablum of "Your Own Special Way" for the first time. At that moment as good as other parts of the album were, I knew it was the end of Genesis as a a real prog band. I even remember being embarrassed because I had hard-core prog/heavy rock friends listening with me to our "local debut", and the look on some of their faces seeming to say "What kind of light-weight, fairy crap are you subjecting us to here man? You're killing our buzz!".

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    What? You are hereby censured by the Invisible Prog Purity Police Force!

But seriously different strokes and all that. Other than the In the Cage Medley and Los Endos it was a pop concert and way, way off their peak in my book. I still remember like yesterday buying Wind & Wuthering and hearing the insipid pop pablum of "Your Own Special Way" for the first time. At that moment as good as other parts of the album were, I knew it was the end of Genesis as a a real prog band. I even remember being embarrassed because I had hard-core prog/heavy rock friends listening with me to our "local debut", and the look on some of their faces seeming to say "What kind of light-weight, fairy crap are you subjecting us to here man? You're killing our buzz!".
    oh no mr bill, not censured!!
    My favorite post Gabriel albums are Trick, Wind and Wuthering and even Then There Were Three(it helped me through a difficult personal time, so it has special meaning to me).
    I know it goes against prog rules, but I have always liked Domino. I am also a synthesizer freak and had a Emulator II sampler like Tony had. So whenever I saw him playing it I got all mushy.
    The no prog Genesis was fine with me because I loved Tony's keyboard playing and Phil's voice so I just sat back and enjoyed it, and if I wanted prog I'd play something else.
    I can't understand how anyone could be expecting prog from Genesis after The Lamb and Peter's departure. Genesis as a prog band ceased to exist after that.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

My favorite post Gabriel albums are Trick, Wind and Wuthering and even Then There Were Three(it helped me through a difficult personal time, so it has special meaning to me).
    I know it goes against prog rules, but I have always liked Domino. I am also a synthesizer freak and had a Emulator II sampler like Tony had. So whenever I saw him playing it I got all mushy.
    The no prog Genesis was fine with me because I loved Tony's keyboard playing and Phil's voice so I just sat back and enjoyed it, and if I wanted prog I'd play something else.
    I can't understand how anyone could be expecting prog from Genesis after The Lamb and Peter's departure. Genesis as a prog band ceased to exist after that.
    Domino is pretty proggy in my book, and 'Do The Neurotic' is pure prog magic to my ears. Also, I find musically tracks like 'One For The Vine' as much or more adventurous musically than anything on the Lamb. I'd say Genesis didn't scale back their progginess until 'And Then There Were Three', but never completely abandoned it.

Unless they do a 'new' album (extremely unlikely!), as far as I'm concerned the 2007 reunion closed the book on that particular period of Genesis anyway. It fully restored their commercial reputation after it had taken a bit of a battering with the cancelled Ray Wilson-era US tour.

I do know his son Nicholas has said he would love to play the Genesis stuff live.

Jeepers, Phil's voice is awful in that clip. I love the man for what he did with Genesis in the 70's but maybe its time to retire gracefully?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    Jeepers, Phil's voice is awful in that clip. I love the man for what he did with Genesis in the 70's but maybe its time to retire gracefully?
    I just saw this clip on Youtube and have to agree he looks and sounds very frail in this.. Kinda feel for the guy.. this isn't what I would call a graceful exit..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4Up_RGqw3k

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    I just saw this clip on Youtube and have to agree he looks and sounds very frail in this.. Kinda feel for the guy.. this isn't what I would call a graceful exit..
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4Up_RGqw3k
    See post #22 in this thread. That’s what we’ve been talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by PotatoSolution View Post
    I'm surprised they decided to do "Follow You Follow Me". It's not the proggiest song in the catalog, but it's also not "Hold On My Heart".
    I would guess it is because FYFM is Mike's lyric, and HOMH is Tony's music and Phil's lyric.

It is also pretty unchallenging in the vocal and guitar department.

Banned
    OK I admit it: I like the first three albums following Gabriel's departure. TOTL was very much still in the prog wheelhouse for me as was a good part of W&W and even TTWT has some proggy stuff but also some fine songs with some really good lyrics. You have to consider that I was a spotty little prog fanatic with an unreasonable replusion of all things commercial back then. TTWT has grown on me (not all of it), but I dropped off entirely after that and moved on to VDGG, Henry Cow and basically anything I percieved as being rejected by the corporate-feed sheople.

I tried Mike and the Mechanics back when the first couple of albums came out but it wasn't at all for me. Haven't bothered since - that was many moons ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Mike joins Phil for a Genesis tune in their tour:

fuck I got a little choked up watching this;

- it's always been a great sappy sort of love song (and I've always loved Tony's solo; the sound and the layering of his lines.) so the tune itself

- the tandem of Phil's obvious age related limitations in contrast with the by now standard "look at what we looked like in the past" video montage just makes me realize that WE ALL GET OLD ARE GONNA DIE

so, a confluence of complex and not so complex emotions lol

but fuck me, I do so love Genesis
    2trevorsforlife

You saw it here first.......Nursing Home Prog Concerts.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    I tried Mike and the Mechanics back when the first couple of albums came out but it wasn't at all for me. Haven't bothered since - that was many moons ago.
    ah, confessions are good for the soul...lol, now let's talk about those couple of Nickelback albums you have hidden in between the mattress.

Regarding Mike Rutherford's solo work, did you ever listen to Smallcreep's Day? It's one of my favorite's from him. It's pre Mechanics and as close to Genesis as he ever got.
    Ant Phillips – keyboards
    Noel McCalla – vocals
    Simon Phillips – drums
    Morris Pert – percussion
    Mike Rutherford – guitars, basses

Production

David Hentschel – production, engineering
    David Bascombe – production and engineering assistant
    Andy Mackrill – equipment
    Dale Newman – equipment
    Geoff Banks – equipment

Was that Mike Rutherford or Mr. Rourke? And who's that little guy sitting next to him?

ah, confessions are good for the soul...lol, now let's talk about those couple of Nickelback albums you have hidden in between the mattress.

Regarding Mike Rutherford's solo work, did you ever listen to Smallcreep's Day? It's one of my favorite's from him. It's pre Mechanics and as close to Genesis as he ever got.
    Ant Phillips – keyboards
    Noel McCalla – vocals
    Simon Phillips – drums
    Morris Pert – percussion
    Mike Rutherford – guitars, basses

Production

David Hentschel – production, engineering
    David Bascombe – production and engineering assistant
    Andy Mackrill – equipment
    Dale Newman – equipment
    Geoff Banks – equipment
    Smallcreep's Day is excellent.

Banned
    I only vauguely recall Smallcreep's Day from back in the day so perhaps I can revisit. As far as Nickelback goes, I honestly never heard them and from what I read that makes me a lucky man. ;-)