Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jon Anderson 2019 Tour...interest level?

Jon Anderson 2019 Tour...interest level?

I just saw that Mr. Anderson will be stopping by my town for a concert. I am sitting on the fence. I have seen his "version" of Yes twice so far so I am not driven to see him. As well, I have always heard that his solo shows are...unique.

What do you all think? Have you seen him solo? How was it? Would you go again?

I last saw him with Jean Luc Ponty and enjoyed myself more than I thought I would. I missed him with 70s Yes so the first I got to see him was on the Animation tour. Jon's always had amazing charisma on stage, even if the material isn't great. I avoided the recent tours where it was just him or with Rick because IMO his material needs a full band treatment. I'm not making any plans for the upcoming tour until I've heard the album.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    I last saw him with Jean Luc Ponty and enjoyed myself more than I thought I would. I missed him with 70s Yes so the first I got to see him was on the Animation tour. Jon's always had amazing charisma on stage, even if the material isn't great. I avoided the recent tours where it was just him or with Rick because IMO his material needs a full band treatment. I'm not making any plans for the upcoming tour until I've heard the album.
    Thanks, Paulrus! Because I first saw the band in 1977 (and have seen them many times since), I have some fairly strong feelings about how yes music is portrayed. And yes, one guitar and one voice doesn't sound like the best way to hear Yes tunes. Naturally, he will play his solo material but even then, much of it had a lot of instrumentation involved with the original recordings.

He will a 7 or 8 piece band with him on this tour. No “name” musicians, but I am sure are more than adequate.

I've had dozens of orgasms since I heard the tour announcement. I'm afraid that I won't have any energy left to attend the concert.

Playing some tunes from Olias. I'm going!!!

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Playing some tunes from Olias. I'm going!!!
    Do we know that for a fact?

I'd love to go and am trying to convince my wife (who loves Jon) to go. We both saw ARW and loved it. We also both saw the "Animation" tour way back and loved that.

The song list will be a factor. But, by the time we find out what he's playing, it will likely be too late for good seats.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I thought his tour with JLP was excellent.

If the tour was coming closer to me I would probably check it out, but the closest show is a 3 hour drive (St. Charles IL) which is not worth it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jrw View Post
    He will a 7 or 8 piece band with him on this tour. No “name” musicians, but I am sure are more than adequate.
    Thank you! I didn't know that at first but just tracked down an article on the band:
    https://bestclassicbands.com/jon-and...s-tour-2-5-19/

I'd go. I underestimated him last time he did a solo show, back in 2005. Walked away remembering that THAT VOICE is something special. He could just strum an E chord and sing over the top and do some nice stuff. I do not like his versions of Yes tunes though because he never bothered to learn the right chords. But on everything else, solo and otherwise, bring it on.

If you call yourself a YES fan how could you not go?
    Jon is 74, you won't get a chance to hear that voice too many more times live.

Jon's voice sounds great these days so I'M ALL IN!!!

I'd rather see him solo than with the money-grubbing ARW. And no awful Rabin songs!!!
    The Prog Corner

Like most, I've seen him many, many times and bought a lot of merchandise. Some great memories, far more than one should have in a lifetime. Jon's responsible for knowing the woman I went out on a second date with, who I took to a YES-show, would be the one. (Wonderous Story was the theme to our wedding). But, I believe I am done with his solo shows. I don't believe I caught A.R.W. on an offnight. Probably the worst show of any show I've ever attended; of any group.

Even now, it's slightly intriguing, but I believe I am done. Been a pretty good run. But, it's never over till it's over. YES with Steve Howe are still doing it for me. I have other things to spend money on; that's not all about me anymore. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by luvyesmusic View Post
    Some great memories, far more than one should have in a lifetime. Jon's responsible for knowing the woman I went out on a second date with, who I took to a YES-show, would be the one.
    My ex and I brought our then 1-year old son to the Big Generator show at the Cow Palace (I know, I was young and stupid.) To avoid destroying the wee bairn's hearing we put huge earmuffs over his head. We were pretty close to the stage and at one point we held him up and Jon immediately noticed him and gestured toward his own ears, laughing. He has this way of connecting with pretty much every person in a room that's very rare.

That said, I'm not going to see him doing anything anywhere. I also have many, many memories of seeing him perform, not all brilliant I might add (SLO anyone?) But I'm at the point where I'd rather not taint the general pool of positive memories with a negative one, especially since he is getting toward the end of his run and who knows how much longer he'll be at it. I know that sounds like an argument for "Just go!", but I'd rather my fading memories be good ones and not capped with an "Ouch, that wasn't great."

Still, if I enjoy the album AND if it's true that he'll be mixing in a fair amount of early solo material then I can see being talked into going.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I thought his tour with JLP was excellent.
    It certainly was and I was looking forward to seeing them again but that now is not happening. As for this show it would be an sure thing... but it seems he is skipping the Bay Area?? I just checked the dates in the link above. That is odd.

I very much appreciate all these posts. Thank you!
    I am leaning towards going because there will be a band.

What’s the big deal? It’s not like you have to spend $350 for a Who ticket. Want a nice evening out hearing Jon Anderson sing his craft, it’s a no brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by MrXindeed View Post
    If you call yourself a YES fan how could you not go?
    Jon is 74, you won't get a chance to hear that voice too many more times live.
    I hear what you're saying. Jon used to be 'God' to me, my very first concert was Jon solo at the Royal Albert Hall in London in 1980. Over the years though with a string of very poor solo albums, (not to mention all the unreleased solo albums), I have become very disappointed with Jon. I saw him a few times with Rick on tour here in the UK but they were disappointing too. Hearing bad versions of Yes songs with his appalling guitar 'playing' just doesn't do it for me. When ARW played 13 miles from my home a couple of years ago I didn't go, (mainly due to Rabin's presence) that's how little respect I have for them now. I do however see Yes every chance I get. Just my personal opinion of course but that's how I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    When ARW played 13 miles from my home a couple of years ago I didn't go, (mainly due to Rabin's presence)
    Really? I think if you went, you'd have discovered that Rabin blows Howe outta the water!

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post
    Really? I think if you went, you'd have discovered that Rabin blows Howe outta the water!
    I doubt it, I've never been a fan of YesWest/Rabin. The videos I've seen of Rabin mangling Howe's guitar parts are horrific.

I get a feeling he would not agree!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    I doubt it, I've never been a fan of YesWest/Rabin. The videos I've seen of Rabin mangling Howe's guitar parts are horrific.
    Listen to HOTS from the live Apollo and I think (at least to my ears) you'd have to say that was a fair representation of a classic Yes song..

Now, now, we are supposed to be talking about how Jon Anderson mangles Yes songs, not how Trevor or Steve mangle them.
    (he said with tongue firmly in cheek)

I saw him all by himself a few years ago and really enjoyed it. He puts on a good show and is funny with good interaction with the audience. My only disappointment was he focused almost all on Yes songs, and I would rather hear more solo. Since he was alone, I would have hoped for Concerto Due, a great little gem from his 'Earthmotherearth' album. This tour coming with a band should be much better.