Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Help me understand Led Zeppelin?

I've always been puzzled by the huge success of LZ, they have some good stuff but a lot of mediocre/boring stuff too. They copied their style from The Jeff Beck Group but got the credit for it from the masses, made their best albums earlier in their career and dined out on it ever since. Just my opinion of course

Only bumped this because it was the most recent thread but I've been listening to a lot of their live shows lately, most recently that Zurich show from the last 1980 European tour. This tour usually slips through the net. Page and Bonham were by no means 'match fit'. I've certainly heard worse from Page, but Bonham was simplifying some of his parts. Anyway, 'The Train Kept A Rollin' was brought back to the set after more than ten years. 'In The Evening' is strong. There's a really fiery 'Trampled Underfoot' and a botched 'Kashmir'. What do people think of this show/tour?

I've heard most of, if not all, of the 1979-1980 Europe shows. The band was not in good shape. The drugs/alcohol were in full control of Page and Bonham. There are moments when they hit the mark but overall, I think it was there worst tour. 1973-1975 were the best tours, I think. By '77 they were hit and miss. I think they had the right idea in 1980 by trimming back the excess but they weren't really in condition to execute it. I think the planned 1980 U.S. tour would have been a make or break proposition for them. They would have had to come in firing on all cylinders. They were, I think, running on good will as a live band. In the studio, they were fine. I know In Through the Out Door gets some hate but I always thought it to be an excellent record, one of my favorites.

Bill
    She'll be standing on the bar soon
    With a fish head and a harpoon
    and a fake beard plastered on her brow.

I understand Zurich is seen as the best individual show but yeah, there's obviously something missing even from this show.

I think ...Out Door would have worked better with the outtakes used on Coda in place of fillers like 'Hot Dog'. Am surprised they chose that one to play in 1979 and 1980!

'The Rain Song' sounds odd on its own, really. And I'm not the biggest fan of that Yamaha keyboard Jones was using in this 1979/80 period. Emerson at least got some guts out of it but Jones chose some pretty wimpy tones IMHO.

3 words.......... ACHILLES LAST STAND

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    My "take" is that they transcended the limitations of, and constraints inherent in, the prevailing three-piece blues-rock style. With regard to composition, arrangement, instrumentarium, performative prowess, stylistic eclecticism, and hip ideas, they illuminated a path of potential for moving beyond the stilted, stunted, and formulaic proclivities of an army of also-rans.
    what you said. i love Zep and always have. the main reason being they were that much different and more diverse than your typical heavy metal band of the 70's.
    good song examples are..
    Friends, Bron-y-aur Stomp from III
    Black Dog, Battle of Evermore, Four Sticks, Levee from IV
    Rain Song, The Crunge, the Ocean from Houses
    i could go on..
    "She said you are the air I breathe
    The life I love, the dream I weave."

Unevensong - Camel

Another one I listened to recently was that last Earls Court '75 show, they were on majestic form there. They should have released far more than the songs on the 2003 DVD from these shows. Love the long section of the set which showcases their most 'progressive rock' side- 'The Song Remains The Same', 'The Rain Song', 'Kashmir' and then 'No Quarter'.