Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30

Thread: Anyone use Bandcamp to post new music but not selli it?

  1. #1
    Member Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    N of Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    1,125

    Anyone use Bandcamp to post new music but not selli it?

    I'm curious if it's possible to use bandcamp to post your music but not sell it?
    Do they allow that?
    I like the layout of the site and the ability to offer WAV or flac downloads as opposed to mp3 quality on Soundcloud.
    thanks.
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxU..._as=subscriber

  2. #2
    You can offer music for $0 and not allow people to pay what they want.

    The only caveat that I can remember is that there is a limit on how many free streams can be done on that sort of format. But, it's certainly possible.

    Hope this helps!
    JB
    Ephemeral Sun - because I gotta do something about these boxes of CDs in the basement: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

  3. #3
    Member Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    N of Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    1,125
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    You can offer music for $0 and not allow people to pay what they want.

    The only caveat that I can remember is that there is a limit on how many free streams can be done on that sort of format. But, it's certainly possible.

    Hope this helps!
    JB
    Thanks John...I was searching the FAQ on their site and didn't find the info I was searching for. This helps a lot and when I have free time I'll dig a little deeper.
    Of course I wouldn't be opposed if someone wanted to make a donation, however it's not my primary motive.
    The site just seems to offer more, and I understand it's free unless you go with a Pro account.
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxU..._as=subscriber

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    145
    I have a Bandcamp page with all three of my songs set up for free download. Each time they sent me a "are you sure" message encouraging me to set it up as pay what you want with no minimum. But I didn't want anyone to feel pressured to give. As it turns out, I have 165 listens and only 10 downloads so far.

    Here's the link if anyone wants to check it out. And of course, feel free to download the songs!
    https://tonyandthetonechasers.bandcamp.com

  5. #5
    Member Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    N of Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    1,125
    Thanks for the information Tony, I'll probably set up an account with Bandcamp. And thanks for sharing your link, I liked T Rex the best. I would use that song as a template for future songs because it had a really nice vibe going for it.
    Thanks again.
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxU..._as=subscriber

  6. #6
    A lot of my music is on Bandcamp for free and my last album is pay what you want. I have no downloads and only 156 complete plays since March 2012.

  7. #7
    I guess perhaps I shouldn't respond because I do sell my music on Bandcamp. Why wouldn't you want to make a few bucks for all your hard work? If you must post it solely for people to listen to only, I'd say use Soundcloud. Just my 2c.
    Out now! My latest work "Track Of Days"!

  8. #8
    Member Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    N of Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    1,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    A lot of my music is on Bandcamp for free and my last album is pay what you want. I have no downloads and only 156 complete plays since March 2012.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean Watson View Post
    I guess perhaps I shouldn't respond because I do sell my music on Bandcamp. Why wouldn't you want to make a few bucks for all your hard work? If you must post it solely for people to listen to only, I'd say use Soundcloud. Just my 2c.
    I have listened to music from both of you, and I don't think my music reaches the level of professionalism and technique that both of you possess.
    My original premise was to share my hobby and my completed projects or unfinished ones that won't be completed for one reason or the other.
    I have no moral opposition to charging money for the music I create, but since it's just a hobby I felt funny putting a price on it.
    I have a new song I'm working on which represents the closing of one chapter and the opening of another in my life. My bandcamp page will begin with a fresh new beginning and thanks to the input here from ya'll, I believe I'll put a name your price on it and go from there.

    I'm 71 now, my wife is retiring in 2 months, and a year ago(I've written of this), my best friend of 45 years and former bandmate passed away, and a month later my mom who lived with us also passed away at 95 while here at home (hospice).
    Both of these events affected me greatly and I feel the sands of time quickly flowing through the glass of time. So I want to try and complete as much music as possible in the time left, but maintain the highest standards of writing, recording and production(to the best of my ability).

    Thank you both, and Dean, I'm sorry for being rude to you in the past. Wasn't my most shining moment. You are very talented and as I wrote in the new topic about instrumental music, I don't normally buy instrumental based albums.
    thanks again everyone
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxU..._as=subscriber

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I have listened to music from both of you, and I don't think my music reaches the level of professionalism and technique that both of you possess.
    My original premise was to share my hobby and my completed projects or unfinished ones that won't be completed for one reason or the other.
    I have no moral opposition to charging money for the music I create, but since it's just a hobby I felt funny putting a price on it.
    I have a new song I'm working on which represents the closing of one chapter and the opening of another in my life. My bandcamp page will begin with a fresh new beginning and thanks to the input here from ya'll, I believe I'll put a name your price on it and go from there.

    I'm 71 now, my wife is retiring in 2 months, and a year ago(I've written of this), my best friend of 45 years and former bandmate passed away, and a month later my mom who lived with us also passed away at 95 while here at home (hospice).
    Both of these events affected me greatly and I feel the sands of time quickly flowing through the glass of time. So I want to try and complete as much music as possible in the time left, but maintain the highest standards of writing, recording and production(to the best of my ability).

    Thank you both, and Dean, I'm sorry for being rude to you in the past. Wasn't my most shining moment. You are very talented and as I wrote in the new topic about instrumental music, I don't normally buy instrumental based albums.
    thanks again everyone
    I think, for sharing music Bandcamp still is a good medium. If you don't want to ask money it's still possible to use Bandcamp. I wish you luck with your musical endeavors. With Bandcamp you can make a nice looking page. The only disaventage is, there is no posibility to give feedback, which is possible on Soundcloud. There have been so many sites to put your music on in the past, I hardly know where my old compositions are spread. The compositions I co-wrote are even on more sites I think.

    I'm not a professional. I only had 2 years of pianolessons, after which my teacher suggested I could better study composition, something I never did. I don't play anything, I just write and let the computer do the playing. I wish I had some gifted musicians at hand, to play my music.

    I can imagine you wanting to create as music as possible in the time left. For me it's a bit the same. I have several ideas for future compositions and while working on one piece, ideas for new pieces pop up.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    145
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Thanks for the information Tony, I'll probably set up an account with Bandcamp. And thanks for sharing your link, I liked T Rex the best. I would use that song as a template for future songs because it had a really nice vibe going for it.
    Thanks again.
    You are welcome. Please share a link when you have a page up.

    Music is also a hobby for me since my day job as a professor keeps me too busy to get to the semipro level. Given that only 10 people have downloaded my music when it's FREE, I figure music is never going to be a money making venture for me. More like a money spending venture as I acquire more gear.

    One more wrinkle to consider: in the US any music royalties need to be reported to the IRS. This might increase the cost of tax preparation if you are using a professional and you don't have any other royalty income. I've got book royalties, so in theory it shouldn't cost me anything. It just might feel funny to report $5 in royalties from Bandcamp, then have a big chunk of that taxed away because the rates are higher compared to general income. Much easier to just set it up as a free download.
    Last edited by Soc Prof; 02-13-2019 at 04:12 PM.

  11. #11
    Member Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    N of Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    1,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I think, for sharing music Bandcamp still is a good medium. If you don't want to ask money it's still possible to use Bandcamp. I wish you luck with your musical endeavors. With Bandcamp you can make a nice looking page. The only disaventage is, there is no posibility to give feedback, which is possible on Soundcloud. There have been so many sites to put your music on in the past, I hardly know where my old compositions are spread. The compositions I co-wrote are even on more sites I think.

    I'm not a professional. I only had 2 years of pianolessons, after which my teacher suggested I could better study composition, something I never did. I don't play anything, I just write and let the computer do the playing. I wish I had some gifted musicians at hand, to play my music.

    I can imagine you wanting to create as music as possible in the time left. For me it's a bit the same. I have several ideas for future compositions and while working on one piece, ideas for new pieces pop up.
    wow, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your background, you certainly have quite a catalogue of material from the last several decades. I don't know how you had the patience to write the long biography, but I couldn't stop reading through the whole thing, so interesting.
    I am looking forward to visiting again and listening to some of these songs. The background provided from your recollection of writing the pieces helps the listener understand the song a bit more, at least for me it did.
    Thank you so much for sharing your story and your music.

    I initially started with Soundclick as well but over time, I realized the top 100 plays were being manipulated by a few people who figured out how to get more plays, and as my plays dwindled because I refused to play the game, I moved over to Soundcloud which has worked well for me. I really just wanted to share my music with family and friends on FB. At the time FB allowed you to imbed the song within your timeline which allowed people to listen without having to click the link and go to Soundcloud. But FB has stopped allowing the imbed and you can only provide a link.
    I believe they are in partnership with Bandcamp and allow Bandcamp music to be imbedded in your timeline, not sure, but believe so.
    I recently uploaded several songs to YT in order to imbed them in FB but haven't done it yet, as my posts there have been far and few since we had taken care of mom. At the time I had very little time for FB and now only visit to check on family or bands but don't post anything to my timeline.

    As far as downloads go, or the amount of them, it doesn't really matter as far as I'm concerned. When I first got the courage to start sharing my music I figured if just one person listened to my music and liked it, I've succeeded. And remember, it's out there now, it's got a life of it's own.
    It's hard to get traffic to your site unless you are sharing the link on different sites, or discussing it. There is such a plethora of independent music it's hard for people to decide what to listen to.

    thanks again.

    Quote Originally Posted by Soc Prof View Post
    You are welcome. Please share a link when you have a page up.

    Music is also a hobby for me since my day job as a professor keeps me too busy to get to the semipro level. Given that only 10 people have downloaded my music when it's FREE, I figure music is never going to be a money making venture for me. More like a money spending venture as I acquire more gear.

    One more wrinkle to consider: in the US any music royalties need to be reported to the IRS. This might increase the cost of tax preparation if you are using a professional and you don't have any other royalty income. I've got book royalties, so in theory it shouldn't cost me anything. It just might feel funny to report $5 in royalties from Bandcamp, then have a big chunk of that taxed away because the rates are higher compared to general income. Much easier to just set it up as a free download.
    Thanks Tony, it will be awhile before I have time to work on a page design, I still have to finish the song I'm working on. I may wait until I have enough songs for a EP, and then after awhile add some of my older material into another EP.

    I don't think extra income has to be reported until it reaches a certain threshold amount. I know our interest on our savings account is small enough we don't have to report that, plus we both will be retired in 2 1/2 months when my wife also retires.

    Thanks for the suggestions and input.
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxU..._as=subscriber

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    wow, I thoroughly enjoyed reading your background, you certainly have quite a catalogue of material from the last several decades. I don't know how you had the patience to write the long biography, but I couldn't stop reading through the whole thing, so interesting.
    I am looking forward to visiting again and listening to some of these songs. The background provided from your recollection of writing the pieces helps the listener understand the song a bit more, at least for me it did.
    Thank you so much for sharing your story and your music.

    I initially started with Soundclick as well but over time, I realized the top 100 plays were being manipulated by a few people who figured out how to get more plays, and as my plays dwindled because I refused to play the game, I moved over to Soundcloud which has worked well for me. I really just wanted to share my music with family and friends on FB. At the time FB allowed you to imbed the song within your timeline which allowed people to listen without having to click the link and go to Soundcloud. But FB has stopped allowing the imbed and you can only provide a link.
    I believe they are in partnership with Bandcamp and allow Bandcamp music to be imbedded in your timeline, not sure, but believe so.
    I recently uploaded several songs to YT in order to imbed them in FB but haven't done it yet, as my posts there have been far and few since we had taken care of mom. At the time I had very little time for FB and now only visit to check on family or bands but don't post anything to my timeline.

    As far as downloads go, or the amount of them, it doesn't really matter as far as I'm concerned. When I first got the courage to start sharing my music I figured if just one person listened to my music and liked it, I've succeeded. And remember, it's out there now, it's got a life of it's own.
    It's hard to get traffic to your site unless you are sharing the link on different sites, or discussing it. There is such a plethora of independent music it's hard for people to decide what to listen to.

    thanks again.

    I like writing, so writing that biography was no big deal, though I had to write it in English, which isn't my mother-tongue.
    I didn't do anything on my homepage, since I created it. Basicly because it is a lot of work. I created it with Dreamweaver, but when I had a new computer, with a new version of Windows, it caused all kinds of problems, so I couldn't use it anymore. Considering Dreamweaver is rather expensive (even more expensive than Cubase Pro 8 and Arturia V-collection 5 together) I didn't want to buy a new version.
    Listened to some stuff on your Soundcloud page. The Grandpa Marv track is really nice. Stormy weather I like as well. The vocals reminds me a bit on Peter Gabriel.

    Yes, there is a lot of music around on the internet and it is hard to get noticed.

  13. #13
    I've been on Bandcamp for many years trying to sell my music. To me, it's just another music hosting site, you have to work to promote yourself through touring, ads, etc. If you don't, you'll get little or no listens/sales. From my experience, Reverbnation has generated the most listens without having to do a lot of self promotion.
    Wild Vines Music

    Still trying to identify this music (updated link):
    Unknown Track

  14. #14
    Member Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    N of Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    1,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I like writing, so writing that biography was no big deal, though I had to write it in English, which isn't my mother-tongue.
    I didn't do anything on my homepage, since I created it. Basicly because it is a lot of work. I created it with Dreamweaver, but when I had a new computer, with a new version of Windows, it caused all kinds of problems, so I couldn't use it anymore. Considering Dreamweaver is rather expensive (even more expensive than Cubase Pro 8 and Arturia V-collection 5 together) I didn't want to buy a new version.
    Listened to some stuff on your Soundcloud page. The Grandpa Marv track is really nice. Stormy weather I like as well. The vocals reminds me a bit on Peter Gabriel.

    Yes, there is a lot of music around on the internet and it is hard to get noticed.
    I did get the impression you like writing and you did very well. To me you captured the spirit of the different timetables of your musical journey. I did check out your collaboration project, and while I liked the music very much, I thought at times there was too much going on and I could sense your musical parts were lost in all that was going on.
    You have a wonderful way of expressing yourself through your music, and understanding your background makes it even more enjoyable knowing the journey you have taken. Please believe me, when I have more free time I will be listening to more of your vast archive of music. It's a bit different than I usually listen to, but I did enjoy it.
    I have spent the morning working on lyrics for the new song, and now must practice guitar for the accompanying track. It has been years since I played either acoustic or electric on a regular basis, so there is a bit of a breaking in period getting the old fingers cooperating again with my brain.

    Thank you for listening. Grandpa Marv is my old bandmate who we still collaborate from time to time via long distance(he's in California). Darel was our other bandmate and my best friend since high school, he is the one who passed away in Dec 2017 from a year long battle with brain cancer. Marv and Darel were musical mates much longer than I, and he took his passing very hard.
    So I kept at him to write something since he shut down, and eventually he sent me a demo of that song and with my encouragement he finally finished it in memory of our friend. It took me a long time before I could listen to it without breaking down and crying.

    Stormy Weather was interesting. We have prehistoric thunderstorms here in Florida which at times can make you believe the end of the world is coming, they are intense and the thunder and lightening sound like the wrath of God. lol We were having one of those intense storms in the afternoon and I opened the side door leading to the screened patio. When I did a huge lightening bolt cracked and the thunder went right through me. I was scared to hell because I thought I'd been electrocuted, my arms felt numb and tingly. It eventually subsided but that night I turned on my synth(Korg King Korg) and played the backing keyboard part which became the basis of the song. I began writing lyrics the next several days and felt a sudden urgency I needed to get a vocal track down immediately. So for two days I did vocals and finally settled on one I could live with. That was on a Friday, by Tues the next week when I visited my mom at her apartment to drop off prepared food and a welfare check, I found her on the floor after falling during the night. She was badly dehydrated and was taken to the hospital for 4 days. The Dr's suggested she could no longer live alone and in preparation for her coming to live with us, I had to tear down my studio in the spare bedroom and move my computer and a keyboard into the master bedroom, everything else we stuck in closets and under the bed.
    So it was the last time I could record vocals until last year. I wouldn't have been able to finish that song...
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxU..._as=subscriber

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by CarvinAbuser View Post
    I've been on Bandcamp for many years trying to sell my music. To me, it's just another music hosting site, you have to work to promote yourself through touring, ads, etc. If you don't, you'll get little or no listens/sales. From my experience, Reverbnation has generated the most listens without having to do a lot of self promotion.
    Touring is out of the question for me, unless I would be able to find musicians who want to play what I write, without expecting me to play some part as well. The only way to get musicians to do this, is to pay them, which is hard to do with an income that is just enough to support myself.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I did get the impression you like writing and you did very well. To me you captured the spirit of the different timetables of your musical journey. I did check out your collaboration project, and while I liked the music very much, I thought at times there was too much going on and I could sense your musical parts were lost in all that was going on.
    You have a wonderful way of expressing yourself through your music, and understanding your background makes it even more enjoyable knowing the journey you have taken. Please believe me, when I have more free time I will be listening to more of your vast archive of music. It's a bit different than I usually listen to, but I did enjoy it.
    I have spent the morning working on lyrics for the new song, and now must practice guitar for the accompanying track. It has been years since I played either acoustic or electric on a regular basis, so there is a bit of a breaking in period getting the old fingers cooperating again with my brain.

    Thank you for listening. Grandpa Marv is my old bandmate who we still collaborate from time to time via long distance(he's in California). Darel was our other bandmate and my best friend since high school, he is the one who passed away in Dec 2017 from a year long battle with brain cancer. Marv and Darel were musical mates much longer than I, and he took his passing very hard.
    So I kept at him to write something since he shut down, and eventually he sent me a demo of that song and with my encouragement he finally finished it in memory of our friend. It took me a long time before I could listen to it without breaking down and crying.

    Stormy Weather was interesting. We have prehistoric thunderstorms here in Florida which at times can make you believe the end of the world is coming, they are intense and the thunder and lightening sound like the wrath of God. lol We were having one of those intense storms in the afternoon and I opened the side door leading to the screened patio. When I did a huge lightening bolt cracked and the thunder went right through me. I was scared to hell because I thought I'd been electrocuted, my arms felt numb and tingly. It eventually subsided but that night I turned on my synth(Korg King Korg) and played the backing keyboard part which became the basis of the song. I began writing lyrics the next several days and felt a sudden urgency I needed to get a vocal track down immediately. So for two days I did vocals and finally settled on one I could live with. That was on a Friday, by Tues the next week when I visited my mom at her apartment to drop off prepared food and a welfare check, I found her on the floor after falling during the night. She was badly dehydrated and was taken to the hospital for 4 days. The Dr's suggested she could no longer live alone and in preparation for her coming to live with us, I had to tear down my studio in the spare bedroom and move my computer and a keyboard into the master bedroom, everything else we stuck in closets and under the bed.
    So it was the last time I could record vocals until last year. I wouldn't have been able to finish that song...
    The collaboration-project was something long-distance. I send midi-files of my music (first complete compositions, later also leftovers, that were never completed) and the guy I collaborated with, used those pieces to create new music. This had several disadventages and in the end I prefered my own versions. A past member of The Enid seemed to love the collaboration-project.
    I can see your situation with your mother. My dad lives in the same apartmentbuilding where I live and we see eachother daily. He is 90 years and still does enjoy life. Alas he is sometimes very stubborn.

  17. #17
    Member Guitarplyrjvb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Northeast Pennsylvania USA
    Posts
    457
    Re: Soundcloud. You can upload and download.wav files. I believe the player streams at 128 Mps which sucks.
    Last edited by Guitarplyrjvb; 03-05-2019 at 03:28 PM.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Re: Soundcloud. You can upload and download.wav files. I believe the player streams at. 128 Mps which sucks.
    I know you can upload wav files. At least I don't have to make mp3 files first, something I had to do in the past for uploading songs on any site.

  19. #19
    Member Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    N of Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    1,125
    Quote Originally Posted by CarvinAbuser View Post
    I've been on Bandcamp for many years trying to sell my music. To me, it's just another music hosting site, you have to work to promote yourself through touring, ads, etc. If you don't, you'll get little or no listens/sales. From my experience, Reverbnation has generated the most listens without having to do a lot of self promotion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I know you can upload wav files. At least I don't have to make mp3 files first, something I had to do in the past for uploading songs on any site.
    Thanks everyone, think I'll stick with Soundcloud for awhile longer. I knew you can upload your song to WAV but didn't know you can download to WAV, but that would make sense. And yes, the compression on SC sucks as does YT, but I think most listeners if they download don't give a rats behind how compressed it is because they are listening on inferior systems.
    I generally burn my audio cd's with Express Burn Disc software which burns it at cd quality rates. It's from NCH software and I have their suite of software which also converts WAV, FLAC to mp3.
    I have a Onkyo cd player and Sony 100watt receiver with Wharfdale Diamond 10.1 bookshelf speakers.
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxU..._as=subscriber

  20. #20
    Soundcloud is fine for certain things, but they've been kind of a risky prospect with a very shaky business model (https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/201...16-financials/). I wouldn't necessarily put all my hopes in that particular basket at least for long term.

    Not trying to shoo anyone away (I use Soundcloud myself for certain things), just noting the risks.
    Ephemeral Sun - because I gotta do something about these boxes of CDs in the basement: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

  21. #21
    Late to the conversation but I'll throw my two cents in. I've been using bandcamp for "albums" for a long time, but the last few years as I've drifted to lazy ambient guitar improvisation (rather than sitting down and composing like a person who's trying), I've settled into a routine of using soundcloud for posting stray thoughts, along with a podcast where I post long form soundscapes, and I use bandcamp to kind of curate all that stuff into collections of like-minded compositions.

    And yeah, I post everything on bandcamp as $0.00/pay what you want. If I'm gonna get my break and make millions from ambient guitar ramblings and post-rock grooves, it's not gonna come from bandcamp sales, so I figure why put up that possible barrier to people carrying me around on their iPod or phone?

    And Top Cat, your stuff is great. Listening to your soundcloud now. If you have the time, even for no other reason than personal satisfaction, put songs that you feel work together as albums on bandcamp. It's rewarding to click on "discography" and see all your work laid out in a way that expresses a body of work.

  22. #22
    Member Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    N of Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    1,125
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Soundcloud is fine for certain things, but they've been kind of a risky prospect with a very shaky business model (https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/201...16-financials/). I wouldn't necessarily put all my hopes in that particular basket at least for long term.

    Not trying to shoo anyone away (I use Soundcloud myself for certain things), just noting the risks.
    Thank you John for your thoughts. I remember several years ago when Soundcloud was rumored to be shutting down, and I don't think things have improved that much for them. I have the free version, so I guess if they go belly up, I won't lose anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesmanzi View Post
    Late to the conversation but I'll throw my two cents in. I've been using bandcamp for "albums" for a long time, but the last few years as I've drifted to lazy ambient guitar improvisation (rather than sitting down and composing like a person who's trying), I've settled into a routine of using soundcloud for posting stray thoughts, along with a podcast where I post long form soundscapes, and I use bandcamp to kind of curate all that stuff into collections of like-minded compositions.

    And yeah, I post everything on bandcamp as $0.00/pay what you want. If I'm gonna get my break and make millions from ambient guitar ramblings and post-rock grooves, it's not gonna come from bandcamp sales, so I figure why put up that possible barrier to people carrying me around on their iPod or phone?

    And Top Cat, your stuff is great. Listening to your soundcloud now. If you have the time, even for no other reason than personal satisfaction, put songs that you feel work together as albums on bandcamp. It's rewarding to click on "discography" and see all your work laid out in a way that expresses a body of work.
    James, thank you so much for your encouraging words and thoughts on bandcamp. When I get some free time, I'll check out your ambient "ramblings" lol
    After several years of down time for personal reasons, I feel a lot of creativity just ready to burst loose, so I've been working like a madman to finalize my reorganization of my home studio.
    I've considered the EP idea with bandcamp and as I enter into this next chapter starting with Hold On, I am looking at bandcamp quite closely, and I really appreciate yours and everyone's suggestions who kindly responded to my questions.
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxU..._as=subscriber

  23. #23
    jazz fusion, 80s, synth tommy_n_chucky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    213
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Soundcloud is fine for certain things, but they've been kind of a risky prospect with a very shaky business model (https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/201...16-financials/). I wouldn't necessarily put all my hopes in that particular basket at least for long term.

    Not trying to shoo anyone away (I use Soundcloud myself for certain things), just noting the risks.
    Soundcloud is excellent, just the progressive 'old farts' aren't saavy anymore. You can make it big on Soundcloud, but guess what...the young rappers are hip to using it to make a mark on the Music Industry without signing on to big labels.

    Soundcloud now has Soundcloud Go, so old time bands can generate revenue. New bands don't seem hip on using Social Media (Facebook, Instagram) so prog rock might not be an impact on a younger generation.

    I like to know how SC is doing now vs. then (2016). A lot has changed. Compared to Spotify, SC is much more artist friendly and the user interface works great on desktop and mobile version.
    ღ。* ♥✰˚★* your Ctrl-V Whore brought to you by Clipmate ღ。* ♥✰˚★* 。ღ
    ,♫♪♫♪,`♫♪♫♪ ~ Choose Reality ~ ,♫♪♫♪,`♫♪♫♪

  24. #24
    I wasn't speaking whatsoever to the quality of the product from an artist perspective, or even to the particular demographic that may/may not use it. And as I noted, I use it myself despite certain limitations.

    I was speaking to the financial stability of the platform, based on a 2018 article where they continue to hemorrhage money. It doesn't matter how hip older or younger bands are, if it isn't financially viable it will disappear.
    Ephemeral Sun - because I gotta do something about these boxes of CDs in the basement: http://www.ephemeralsun.com

  25. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Nedham
    Posts
    13
    Ok, granted it's kind of an old article, but this provides some insight on Bandcamp vs. Soundcloud

    SOUNDCLOUD VS BANDCAMP - THE MUSICIAN'S DILEMMA

    https://www.syffal.com/articles/love...icians-dilemma

    The author says Bandcamp is better, albeit in a pretty profane way.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •