Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regional Names For Carbonated Beverages

Regional Names For Carbonated Beverages

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    One of those xkcd things where I don't quite get it. A take off on this sort of thing:

Around here, 'tonic' was often used to describe what most people call 'pop', 'soda' or 'soda pop', but it seems to have died off since about the '80s.

I'll never understand the "Coke" thing.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    There's a lot I don't understand about the South.

I'm a soda guy from Eastern PA living in the pop region of Western PA.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I thought you meant regional-only beverages - Mr. Pibb, RC Cola, Moxie, etc.
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

I'm 57 years old, and I've lived in Ohio all but 3 years. I've never heard "pop" referred to as "medicine." For that matter, when I lived in Okla, I never heard it called "sugar oil" either. I would say the graphic is suspect.

I have lived in Michigan my entire life and have never herd the term "Kids Coffee" anywhere anytime. Not sure where they got some of these, but it appears bogus to me. Here it is "pop" . Soda is something you make with ice cream and pop. My mother's side of the family was from the south and when growing up my grandfather called everything a "coke". But, I have never heard of "Kids Coffee"...

Growing up in NYC, it was always "soda". When I got to Madison in 1971 it was "pop" (I actually didn't know what it was the first time I heard it used). Over the last 48 years I hear "pop" less & less and "soda" more & more in WI.

I'm sure that social media has contributed heavily to the migration of terms.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I have lived in Michigan my entire life and have never herd the term "Kids Coffee" anywhere anytime. Not sure where they got some of these, but it appears bogus to me. Here it is "pop" . Soda is something you make with ice cream and pop. My mother's side of the family was from the south and when growing up my grandfather called everything a "coke". But, I have never heard of "Kids Coffee"...
    In Michigan, it's called "pop". My relatives in Texas refer to anything that's carbonated as "coke". The OP's graph is fraudulent or facetious.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

http://xkcd.com
    Yeah, it's not (that) serious.
    I used to live where we called it soda pop, or by the brand name.
    Now I just don't drink it.

I might move to where they call it Ichor, or Fizz Ooze.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu
    I'm 57 years old, and I've lived in Ohio all but 3 years. I've never heard "pop" referred to as "medicine." For that matter, when I lived in Okla, I never heard it called "sugar oil" either. I would say the graphic is suspect.
    Just so you know, Randall Munroe, who draws the XKCD comic seen in the OP, is pulling your leg. Few, if any, of the names he came up with are used anywhere in the country. Regional terms do exist, but they are not as wild as those shown on his map.

Soda is something you make with ice cream and pop.
    Naw, that's an ice cream soda.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Here it is "pop" . Soda is something you make with ice cream and pop.
    "Pop" is what the weasel does.

Or....it's bad music.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Yeah. I'm squarely in the soda belt, but I get pop, too. Using 'Coke' for any carbonated beverage is just dumb.

Also, lol Alaska, what are you doing?!
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post

Also, lol Alaska, what are you doing?!
    That would be a Jimmy Buffett reference applied to the wrong beverage.

"Pop" is what the weasel does.

Or....it's bad music.
    There was a time when pop was good music.

I grew up in Rhode lsland and it was always "soda." For several summers we went to sleep-away camp in northeastern New Hampshire. Up there it was "tonic" (pronounced "tawnic"). The New York and southwestern Connecticut kids at camp called it "pop."

Of course, in Rhode Island we had weird names for everything. An Italian sub sandwich ("sangwich") was a "grinder" while all others were "subs." A milk shake with ice cream was a "cabinet." Some called pancakes "johnny cakes."
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    There was a time when pop was good music.
    And the Weasel didn't only pop, he posted on PE.

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    I grew up in Rhode lsland and it was always "soda." For several summers we went to sleep-away camp in northeastern New Hampshire. Up there it was "tonic" (pronounced "tawnic"). The New York and southwestern Connecticut kids at camp called it "pop."
    No, it was pronounced "tonic". We might have a funny accent to most people, but the "ō" sound is not among them. I've noticed a lot of people from CT & SW MA say something like "pahp".

Quote Originally Posted by Lopez View Post
    Some called pancakes "johnny cakes."
    I thought those were pancakes made with corn meal? Much better than standard pancakes, IMO. [ French toast > waffles > pancakes ]

Nor I. When I was a kid, we went to South Carolina on a holiday, and stopped at a restaurant, where I asked for a Coke. The waitress said "What kind?"... and I was temporarily at a loss for words as to what that question could possibly mean. Ummm... the dark, fizzy, sugary kind that comes in a red-and-white can or bottle?

Here it is called pop. I've heard it called soda in enough TV shows and movies that it doesn't really faze me though. But to me, soda is the carbonated water that a bartender adds to a cocktail.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I love coke, in a bottle. We call them Soft Drinks around these woods.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I love coke, in a bottle. We call them Soft Drinks around these woods.
    We call them that too, but I think pop is the most common term.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

It has a lot to do with the Coca-Cola Corporation's hq being in Jawja.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

On a slightly related note.....all the Canadians I know refer to Electrical service as....Hydro! I couldn't figure out why everyone was bitching about their water bill???? Most probably the reason is that electrical service in British Columbia is supplied by... BC Hydro.....but my friends in Alberta also call electrical service as Hydro....

Then theres.....Q Tips......
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga