Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This part would have needed a 2nd take ...

Argent- "Hold Your Head Up"
    There is a bass note that has always bothered me. After the long organ solo, the band does a double chorus before going into the last verse,
    but it sounds like Jim Rodford went back to the verse after the first round of the chorus. This happens at 5:13 in the song:

Quote Originally Posted by Gravedigger View Post
    Argent- "Hold Your Head Up"
    There is a bass note that has always bothered me. After the long organ solo, the band does a double chorus before going into the last verse,
    but it sounds like Jim Rodford went back to the verse after the first round of the chorus. This happens at 5:13 in the song
    I've listened like eight times, I don't hear it.

Bill

I love them but there's a few Bee Gees records which have some sloppy playing. The uptempo chorus parts of 'Lonely Days' are all over the shop! Some of the guitar playing strikes me as very eccentric, such as on 'World'. Maurice Gibb fumbles the bass slightly in the last repeat of the chorus (probably because that bit uses a different chord) near the end of the otherwise perfect 'Melody Fair'.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I love them but there's a few Bee Gees records which have some sloppy playing. The uptempo chorus parts of 'Lonely Days' are all over the shop! Some of the guitar playing strikes me as very eccentric, such as on 'World'. Maurice Gibb fumbles the bass slightly in the last repeat of the chorus (probably because that bit uses a different chord) near the end of the otherwise perfect 'Melody Fair'.
    Maybe they should have let the studio musicians play those parts.

John Lennon's bass playing on The Long and Winding Road is really clunky and imprecise with an occasional missed note. No wonder Phil Spector buried in in the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by viukkis View Post
    John Lennon's bass playing on The Long and Winding Road is really clunky and imprecise with an occasional missed note. No wonder Phil Spector buried in in the mix.
    I'm not sure why Spector and indeed Glyn Johns before him chose that particular take for release; it is a little sloppy in general (for instance, I also don't like the spoken word line in one verse which again Spector overdubbed).

The one in the film and later used on ...Naked, with Billy Preston's brief keyboard solo, is a much better take, IMHO.

That bit in the Cars “Just What I Needed” where Rick stumbles over the lyrics (“I don’t mind you coming here, and wasting all my time-time”) kind of bugs me.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    That bit in the Cars “Just What I Needed” where Rick stumbles over the lyrics (“I don’t mind you coming here, and wasting all my time-time”) kind of bugs me.
    That's actually Ben Orr, but I get your point.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Banned
    Everything by the Cars needs a second take with all the levels set to zero, IMO of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    What, the "time-time"? That doesn't sound like a stumble to me; I always assumed it was intentional.

My favorite stumble-tongued lyric is in "Sky Pilot," where Eric Burdon means to sing "But he'll stay behind" and it comes out "But he stale behind." I've also always wondered about the last verse ("A young soldier so ill...") where the lines don't fit the rhyme scheme, and wondered if Eric got the words mixed up there.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

'Rolling truck stones'

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    'Rolling truck stones'
    Not a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    What, the "time-time"? That doesn't sound like a stumble to me; I always assumed it was intentional.
    Never struck me as a mistake either. "Time" once at the beginning of the song before the momentum has built up, then "time-time" implies extra anxiety and echoes the earlier "as long as it was deep yeah" (which is repeated later with "I kinda lose my mind yeah").

The choir singing the wrong lyrics in 'The Battle' from Journey to Etc Etc and So Forth used to bother me. I know it's live, so a second take isn't practical, but presumably they got it right on the other night that was recorded.
    Then I realised I didn't care because it's awful either way.

'Rolling truck stones'
    That was deliberate. however I'm sure I read somewhere that the intro to Speed King came about by accident, Blackmore messed up the intro and went a little off-piste but the band liked the result and went with it. Or I might be thinking of something else of course! I think there's a Yes song that starts off the same way, a flubbed intro by Howe that he manages to turn around.

I just know someone is going to come in and give us an uncalled-for essay about 'Smoke On The Water'. Please don't.

There's a few songs where you can hear scratch vocals beneath the main vocal take. Jeff Beck's 'I've Been Drinking' (the original mono one, anyway) and The Stones' 'Angie' spring to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    That was deliberate. however I'm sure I read somewhere that the intro to Speed King came about by accident, Blackmore messed up the intro and went a little off-piste but the band liked the result and went with it. Or I might be thinking of something else of course!
    Actually, it was Jon Lord played who played the bum note, but he worked his way out of it. I believe it's that descending chromatic thing you hear just near the end of the solo, which he had to play so the bum note wouldn't sound like a bum note.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Actually, it was Jon Lord played who played the bum note, but he worked his way out of it. I believe it's that descending chromatic thing you hear just near the end of the solo, which he had to play so the bum note wouldn't sound like a bum note.
    Indeed. I think the end result was better with this, because the organ solo piece was longer and provided a more effective interlude between the two furious moments.