Thread: Greg Lake/King Crimson

Greg Lake/King Crimson

So on Greg Lake's Songs of a Lifetime album he says that In the Court of the Crimson King was really the only King Crimson album he was involved with.
    Any idea why he would say that? I mean he's on In the Wake of Poseidon right?

He helped out on the second album, rather than being a full member.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Does that mean he earned more as a studio musician for Wake rather than a full band member (like Richard Wright on The Wall)?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Does that mean he earned more as a studio musician for Wake rather than a full band member (like Richard Wright on The Wall)?
    The story I read tells of Richard getting the boot after the album was finished and hired only for the tour as a session musician.. which did in fact translate to him making money on the tour vs. the other 3 lost money from the high production cost of putting on the elaborate stage show..

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    The story that's been told is that he got the band's PA system in exchange for being on the album.

Quote Originally Posted by YahooSquonk View Post
    So on Greg Lake's Songs of a Lifetime album he says that In the Court of the Crimson King was really the only King Crimson album he was involved with.
    Any idea why he would say that? I mean he's on In the Wake of Poseidon right?
    Lake was a co-writer and arranger on the first album, on the second album he quickly popped in and sang all but one of the vocal tracks- no real creative involvement. And yes, he requested payment with Crimson's PA... in his words, "for his art" ...

Guess this is why it was so easy for him to leave King Crimson for ELP

Quote Originally Posted by YahooSquonk View Post
    Guess this is why it was so easy for him to leave King Crimson for ELP
    Well, sure, but his lack of partcipation was his choice- when McDonald & Giles quit he decided to leave as well... he just dragged his feet about it. Had he decided to stay I'm sure Fripp and Sinfield would have appreciated his creative input.

So, arguably, COTCK has the least amount of influence from Fripp and, arguably, is the best provision from all of the KC bands (?).

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDrummer View Post
    So, arguably, COTCK has the least amount of influence from Fripp and, arguably, is the best provision from all of the KC bands (?).
    Arguably.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDrummer View Post
    That must be why it's my least favorite King Crimson album of the classic era.