Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: The live version is the definitive version

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Yeah, you're talking about Dick's Picks Vol. 26, with that particular combo being from the Chicago show, which also had the 40 minute Viola Lee Blues/Feedback/What's Become Of The Baby/We Bid You Goodnight encore which has remained unreleased (Viola Lee Blues appears on a compilation called Fall Out From The Phil Zone, but the last 20 minutes of the sequence reputedly exists only on a tape that's not considered good enough quality for release, or some similar excuse).
    I think there was some rights problem because "What's Become Of The Baby" was the Aoxomoxoa version on tape. Might not be an issue now since I believe Rhino owns both the Warners Dead albums and the Dead vault.

Okay....Yessongs for me contains the definitive versions of Siberian Khatru and YIND. Even though the latter is heavily edited, it contains my favorite Howeisms. Before that album came out, I thought Yes was a female-led folk group. I could not believe the power of the group that I had previously only heard on the radio doing the plinky All Good People.

Humble Pie's "I don't Need No Doctor"! There isn't a studio version, so....

Also agree with DP's "Made in Japan" at least for Highway Star, and ALL of the Who's Live at Leeds.

The Zappa Roxy recordings surpass the originals. In fact, I think that the early-mid 70's version of his band playing any of the early Mothers/Zappa stuff surpass the originals.

As far as the Zeps, I don't think any live recording is better than the studio. They were just too damn sloppy. Page, as the producer, was a genius, at least as far as laying down Zep tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    I think there was some rights problem because "What's Become Of The Baby" was the Aoxomoxoa version on tape. Might not be an issue now since I believe Rhino owns both the Warners Dead albums and the Dead vault.
    Hmm, I thought I read that it was a unique mix of the track, but you could be right. I don't think you can hear enough to tell if it's the Aoxomoxoa version or not. As far as I know, that was the only time they did it. But that 40 minute suite is one of my favorite bits of late 60's Dead. And I love how they did all this crazy feedback stuff, and especially a show like that where it went on as long as it did, sort of presaging the whole "no wave" thing that came a decade later.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerking View Post
    Not to mention a hot version of Dance Sister Dance.
    And also not to mention the 3 part song Carnival, Let the Children Play, Jugando. So much more energy than the original.

Almost all the songs on Queen’s ‘Live at the Rainbow’ (Deluxe edition), particularly the March 1974 concert’s version of Ogre Battle (with Mercury’s interjections: ‘What do you think of the show so far?’ and ‘Nice one’). Mercury and May were on fire that night.

Banned
    What to say? I always remain silent when I hear this.

Quote Originally Posted by Juba View Post
    What to say? I always remain silent when I hear this.

This is my favorite version as well.
    Mongrel dog soils actor's feet

I think there's some tracks off Weld that surpass the recorded versions ... that album is arguably my favourite live recording, blows me away every single time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Flower View Post
    I think there's some tracks off Weld that surpass the recorded versions ... that album is arguably my favourite live recording, blows me away every single time.
    Agree, Live Neil at his best.

I got ZZ Top - live at the capitol theatre passaic NJ 1980 May 4 ... and have never listened to any of their studio tracks since.
    This probably won't go over well, but I'm sure I like Nektar's "Remember the Future" live from Nearfest better than the studio version.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    Nearly every song on Deep Purple's Made in Japan. In fact, you really don't have to own another Purple album, it is so definitively definitive.
    I didn't see this thread when it started but my first thought when I saw the title was MIJ. Really, whatever music styles you listen to one has to admit that in the hard rock/heavy metal era there is almost nothing of this caliber in the arena. No overdubs, that's what happened those nights. They were an amazing band at that point.

LOL third response in and it's NOT me saying MIJ. Dark Elf knows his stuff.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Because of the intro by Bruford (studio), which Alan White certainly did not match in concert, I have to disagree and give it up to the studio version.

Quote Originally Posted by tormato View Post

"Close to the Edge" on Yessongs.

Quote Originally Posted by MagmaShark View Post
    This probably won't go over well, but I'm sure I like Nektar's "Remember the Future" live from Nearfest better than the studio version.
    You mean the version where we couldn't hear the damn guitar because the incompetent sound man didn't know how to do his job right?

Genesis--"Dodo/Lurker." Tony Banks changed the synth patch he used for the solo, for the better imo. I remember hearing the Three Sides Live version of the song as a teenager and being totally captivated by the solo. It made me want to own a synth, which I eventually did as an adult.

I also prefer the live versions of "Supper's Ready" since Banks added the ARP Prosoloist, which he didn't own yet when the studio version was recorded.

Stern Combo Meißen - Finlandia

Actually the live-version is the only version and on the particular live-album http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=5176 there is only one song that was also on another album (which was actually also recorded live). http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=5175

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    You mean the version where we couldn't hear the damn guitar because the incompetent sound man didn't know how to do his job right?
    That's fixed on the CD.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Nightwish - Ghost Love Score (live at Wacken festival) ... the studio version with Tarja is excellent, but what Floor Jansen did with the end of that song elevates it to something else altogether. It's just stunning, and I get arm hairs standing on end just thinking about it as I type this!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

re, Nektar at NEARfest:

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    That's fixed on the CD.
    I never knew there was a CD, just that hatchet job of a DVD that Classic Rock Productions rushed out, with half the set cut out (including most of Remember The Future), what's there is rearranged, segues are interrupted, in general, a really badly done DVD. And the "Vol. 2" they promised, which was supposed to have the rest of the set, never materialized either.

Quote Originally Posted by Soc Prof View Post

I also prefer the live versions of "Supper's Ready" since Banks added the ARP Prosoloist, which he didn't own yet when the studio version was recorded.
    I like the live versions I've heard from the Trick... tour, with Bruford on drums and percussion. I love the bits of percussion he added to Lover's Leap (glockenspiel during the the vocals, then he sort of plays along with parts of the electric piano solo). The version that's on the Genesis In Concert film, though it's only Apocalypse In 9/8 and As Sure As Eggs Is Eggs that we get, I like for the bit during Hackett's final solo where Bruford does this roll on the snare that goes on for about a full bar. I also like that the guitarists don't stay on the Apocalypse riff during the E, G#minor, D, A minor chord sequence after "In blood he's writing the lyrics/to a brand new tune", as they do on the studio version.

The CD is called Greatest Hits Live, a title I find amusing and depressing at the same time. It has everything, if I recall rightly, except "Marvellous Moses" (which I regret) and one of the openings to the "Recycled" suite.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Nightwish - Ghost Love Score (live at Wacken festival) ... the studio version with Tarja is excellent, but what Floor Jansen did with the end of that song elevates it to something else altogether. It's just stunning, and I get arm hairs standing on end just thinking about it as I type this!
    Agree, fantastic live version of that song.

Pretty well every song from Gentle Giant's "Playing The Fool" is better than the studio version in my opinion: especially So Sincere.
    Similarly Genesis Live has better versions of The Knife, Giant Hogweed and Get em out by Friday. The Seconds Out version of Supper's Ready is infinitely better than the studio version (an opinion I doubt will be widely supported).

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    May have already been mentioned but listening to Moonflower (Santana) today and you gotta give Carlos props.. he brings a whole different level to his songs in a live setting.. Europa stands out for one..
    Yes, I always give Carlos Santana (and his band) their due when it comes to playing live. "Toussaint L'Overture" from Moonflower is another one that surpasses the original studio version.