Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Prince & The Revolution

Prince & The Revolution

Thought i'd give Purple Rain album a spin today . I ought to play it more often and a deluxe edition is long over due ¡ His best album by a country mile IMHO !

Banned
    Damn it!!! Sold my copy of Purple Rain cause my male friends gave me weird looks when I told them I bought this cd.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    His best album by a country mile IMHO !
    It is a great album, but I'd hate to have to choose between this, Parade, Sign o' the Times and Around the World in a Day. All it's equal IMO.

If I had to choose one, I'd go with Parade. "Sometimes It Snows in April" is one of those miraculously good songs, and "Kiss", for all its over-playedness, is staggeringly clever.

His recent stuff is also pretty fine: Musicology, 3121 and Planet Earth make a very high quality trilogy.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Damn it!!! Sold my copy of Purple Rain cause my male friends gave me weird looks when I told them I bought this cd.
    You can't be serious...I'm not really a Prince fan but I can't believe anyone would sell any CD off because of what friends think?

best Prince for me is the gold experience with "sign of the times" and "1999" being a close second third but for me every album he 's done has some killer tunes. 3121 has some killer jams the one wiht the male and female symbols as the title has some wonderful tunes, Emancipation has 3 cd's of good stuff with every cd having wonderful tunage but they are all different.

Wonder what happened to Wendy & Lisa. I bought their album when The Revolution was no more . I thought it was really quite god!

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    It is a great album, but I'd hate to have to choose between this, Parade, Sign o' the Times and Around the World in a Day. All it's equal IMO.

If I had to choose one, I'd go with Parade. "Sometimes It Snows in April" is one of those miraculously good songs, and "Kiss", for all its over-playedness, is staggeringly clever.

His recent stuff is also pretty fine: Musicology, 3121 and Planet Earth make a very high quality trilogy.
    I agree John, I actually loved everything prior to Diamonds and Pearls and his work hasn't been the same to me since.
    Be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care... Frank Zappa

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    He has some good songs since Sign O' The Times, but that was his last great album IMO. My fave though is Around The World In A Day. I'd love to see this get a remix.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Yeah, Sign o' the Times was the last monster. I downloaded a torrent of several live shows months ago but I kind of forgot about it. I'll need to convert the files to wav. and check it out. There's tons of great shows out there.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Purple Rain is a fantastic album. Lots of great, classic songs. I just wish they could have included the 15 minute version of Computer Blue. On the other hand, reportedly the reason they couldn't use the long version of that song was because the record company wanted to include Take Me With U on the album, which I also like, so they cut a big chunk out of Computer Blue to make that possible (actually, according to Wikipedia, Prince had already cut it down to 7 and a half minutes, before Warners forced him to cut it even further to make room for the Appolonia duet).

As for Sign O' The Times, I prefer the live versions of some of those songs over the way they appeared on the album. In particular, Sign O' The Times itself had some hellacious guitar playing in it's onstage incarnation, and there's that extended instrumental thing in I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man.

I've got a bootleg video release, taken from a Japanese TV broadcast (or maybe it was released on video in Japan, I'm not sure which) called The Undertaker. It's basically around 45 minutes of music (framed by a brief sort of conceptual story featuring a young lady who sneaks into a rehearsal) played by a power trio of Prince on guitar and vocals backed by only a drummer and bassist. Think Band Of Gypsies, and you'll have an idea of what you get here. He tends to overuse a slightly obnoxious pitch bend effect, but other than it's pretty cool. I still think it's one of the best things I've heard from him.

I also remember when he appeared on Letterman back in 94 or 95, whenever it was. Dave announces that he was going to do a song from "This album, The Gold Experience, which from what I understand will probably never be released...so it makes perfect sense he's here promoting it tonight" (this was like a year before the album finally was released, btw).

SPIN Presents: Purplish Rain

I love Purple Rain. It definitely is my favorite release from Prince.

Some fans of Purple Rain might like this:

http://www.spin.com/prince

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purplish_Rain

Purplish Rain is a compilation of Prince covers released by Spin magazine for readers of its July 2009 issue. The album contains cover versions of songs from Prince's 1984 Purple Rain album, in the same track order as the original, on the occasion of the album's 25th anniversary.

It was not a physical album and was available in its digital format up to September 30, 2009. The album cover features text in much the same font as the Purple Rain album, but with a drop of water added
    "Let's Go Crazy" (Performed by Riverboat Gamblers) - 4:16
    "Take Me with U" (Performed by Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings) - 2:57
    "The Beautiful Ones" (Performed by Fol Chen) - 5:01
    "Computer Blue" (Performed by Of Montreal) - 3:14
    "Darling Nikki" (Performed by Chairlift) - 5:19
    "When Doves Cry" (Performed by The Twilight Singers) - 4:30
    "I Would Die 4 U" (Performed by Mariachi El Bronx) - 3:24
    "Baby I'm a Star" (Performed by Craig Wedren) - 4:07
    "Purple Rain" (Performed by Lavender Diamond) - 4:36

I bolded the ones I rather fancy the most.

Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    You can't be serious...I'm not really a Prince fan but I can't believe anyone would sell any CD off because of what friends think?
    That is quite amazing, if true.

Wonder what happened to Wendy & Lisa. I bought their album when The Revolution was no more . I thought it was really quite god!
    I believe they still have a band together and play out. In 2009, I was in a rehearsal studio with Tears For Fears and Wendy & Lisa were rehearsing in the next room. A friend of mine, Abe Laboriel Jr., was drumming for them. I hadn't seen Abe in years and we ran into each other during our breaks. He said he drums with them when he isn't with McCartney and when they have some local shows to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck AzEee! View Post
    I actually loved everything prior to Diamonds and Pearls and his work hasn't been the same to me since.
    Diamond & Pearls was the last complete disc I enjoyed. It wasn't until his 2009 double disc release, LOtUSFLOW3R & MPLSoUND, that I purchased new music from Prince. I thought there could be a good single disc worth of material there. It was a steal at $7.99 from Target. My faves from those releases are:

- Colonized Man
    - Wall of Berlin
    - Chocolate Box

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Colonized Man
    "Colonized Mind". Great song.

They've continued to work in music over the years. They've released several albums as a duo. They've also written songs and produced records for other people. They've also done a fair bit of film music and TV music (Wiki says they received an Emmy for the theme music to Nurse Jackie a couple years ago).

They produced and played on a couple albums by Wendy's brother-in-law Doyle Bramhall II. Doyle's wife, Susannah (Wendy's twin sister), was actually Prince's girlfriend during the mid 80's. Reportedly, a lot of the songs on Purple Rain, Around The World In A Day, Parade, and Sign O' The Times are about or were inspired by her.

And for what it's worth, both their fathers, Mike Melvoin (Wendy's dad) and Gary L. Coleman (Lisa's dad) were amongst the 60's era LA studio musicians known as The Wrecking Crew. So the lot of us probably all own records that have Mike and/or Gary playing on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    "Colonized Mind". Great song.
    Oops, from memory I had it as Colonized Man. Thanks for the correction!
    Last edited by Gruno; 12-05-2012 at 12:55 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    Did I mention that my friends are straight males that like prog and metal?

Why did you feel you had to get rid of Purple Rain? If you liked the music then what does it matter what they (or anyone else) think?

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Why did you feel you had to get rid of Purple Rain?
    Let's cut JIF a little slack - surely we've all give way to peer pressure from time to time?

So you were afraid they'd think you were ghey or something? You should've made them watch Purple Rain so they could Apollonia and her unbelievable rack. What a fox!

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    They've continued to work in music over the years. They've released several albums as a duo. They've also written songs and produced records for other people. They've also done a fair bit of film music and TV music (Wiki says they received an Emmy for the theme music to Nurse Jackie a couple years ago).
    They did the music for Heroes, too.

And probably Caucasian, too, I imagine.

Interesting that you'd phrase it in that fashion. I still think it's hilarious that, back in the 80's (maybe even today), metal and hard rock fans tended to look down on the pop music of the day, let's say the likes of Culture Club or The Cure, as "faggot music". Yet, they had no problem worshiping Judas Priest, whose lead singer we eventually found was not only gay but had cultivated an image (and by extension, the entire look of heavy metal during the 80's) derived from gay leather bars.

And that doesn't even take into account the whole androgynous image of the glam metal bands.

Sign o the Times is my favorite
    album by Prince.

OK, my wife Pat just went wild... she has always been a HUGE Prince fan and quickly turned me onto his deeper tracks and the lesser known Prince releases... just as I've instilled her with more appreciation of my own varied musical tastes.
    Try... 21 nights in London, The Black Album (originally a bootleg),
    One night alone in Vegas or The Vault,
    as each contains gems of brilliance surrounded by stellar arrangements from a cavalcade of top flight musicians on each of these releases. Sign o' the Times is merely the most heard.
    IMO, Prince DVDs render an appreciation of all of Princes' many talents at the same time... his music, lyrics, singing, phenominal playing, choreography and the overall stage presence of individuals within his band... are all designed to completely entertain any audience under his influence.
    Ya gotta give him credit... even if he's more "pop/blues/jazz" than prog... he's GREAT at what he does.

Another thing I wish he'd release on DVD was the old Prince And The Revolution Live VHS release. This was a concert in, I think, Syracuse, NY, recorded on the Purple Rain tour. The version of Purple Rain is something like 18 minutes, with most of it being him playing guitar solos. I seem to recall most of the other songs were pretty good too. But I don't think it's ever been reissued.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    And probably Caucasian, too, I imagine.

Interesting that you'd phrase it in that fashion. I still think it's hilarious that, back in the 80's (maybe even today), metal and hard rock fans tended to look down on the pop music of the day, let's say the likes of Culture Club or The Cure, as "faggot music". Yet, they had no problem worshiping Judas Priest, whose lead singer we eventually found was not only gay but had cultivated an image (and by extension, the entire look of heavy metal during the 80's) derived from gay leather bars.

And that doesn't even take into account the whole androgynous image of the glam metal bands.
    I've had friends that make fun of me for liking Bon Jovi.

I've had friends that make fun of me for liking Bon Jovi.
    And rightly so Nah, just kidding.