Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Vinyl surface noise and cleaning records

Not in my experience. Dawn dish soap -- a nice neutral detergent without any additives -- actually reduces or eliminates static cling.

Banned
    A correctly aligned Shibata, line contact, VanDenHull, micro ridge, tracking at the correct force, will cause substantially less wear than an elliptical (or the horror that is a conical stylus). And by substantially less wear, I mean close to zero. A record played with a good cartridge, correctly aligned, with a good stylus shape, will have no audibly noticeable wear over many, many plays. Record wear is drastically exaggerated by the digital only crowd.
    I can tell you that my Shibata was out of alignment for years. I did nothing about it and then one day I woke up in sheer agony with a crackling herniated disc that responds neither to vacuum or ultrasonic treatments. In fact the only thing that helps at this point is a good French pressing...

I LOVE a good French dressing, although Catalina will do in a pinch.

For record cleaning of the electronic/digital kind, I find Izotope RX7 Elements to be absolutely phenomenal in its effectiveness and sound preservation. Not only that, it does a spectacular job freeing cassette music from the tape hiss. If anyone is interested in my presets, on which spent considerable time fine tuning, PM me.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama