Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vinyl surface noise and cleaning records

This is actually an update, and I imagine works well.

Ultrasonic record cleaners are MUCH better than wet vacuum cleaners, or any other type of cleaning, period.

They are, by far, the best method for cleaning vinyl. Seriously, no comparison.

Right after I got my ultrasonic cleaner, I ran several records through my vacuum record cleaner, then played them. I took good notes on the number of clicks/pops on each side. I then took the same records and cleaned then again on my newly purchased ultrasonic cleaner. The decrease in the number of clicks/pops was obvious.

This is not mine, but gives you an idea of the improvement:

And no, you don't have to spend in the thousands to get an ultrasonic cleaner. There are some available that are priced the same as lower priced vacuum cleaners.

For example, Vinyl Stack is available for $275, plus the price of a 6 Liter ultrasonic cleaner, available all over Ebay for a little over $100. So, for a right around $400, you end up with a record cleaner that will best even the most expensive vacuum machines.

https://thevinylstack.com/view-cart/...=0&sort=normal

Some people hang on to their vacuum machines to dry their freshly cleaned records. But this is not necessary.

Last edited by simon moon; 6 Days Ago at 07:44 PM.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Member Emeritus (A.M.P.) rcarlberg's Avatar
    Thanks Simon. Good post.

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    Ultrasonic record cleaners are MUCH better than wet vacuum cleaners, or any other type of cleaning, period.

They are, by far, the best method for cleaning vinyl. Seriously, no comparison.

Right after I got my ultrasonic cleaner, I ran several records through my vacuum record cleaner, then played them. I took good notes on the number of clicks/pops on each side. I then took the same records and cleaned then again on my newly purchased ultrasonic cleaner. The decrease in the number of clicks/pops was obvious.

This is not mine, but gives you an idea of the improvement:

And no, you don't have to spend in the thousands to get an ultrasonic cleaner. There are some available that are priced the same as lower priced vacuum cleaners.

For example, Vinyl Stack is available for $275, plus the price of a 6 Liter ultrasonic cleaner, available all over Ebay for a little over $100. So, for a right around $400, you end up with a record cleaner that will best even the most expensive vacuum machines.

https://thevinylstack.com/view-cart/...=0&sort=normal

Some people hang on to their vacuum machines to dry their freshly cleaned records. But this is not necessary.

The $40-$50 method I mentioned 2 days ago gets very similar results. Not just that, it transformed my used copy of Kansas s/t from a steady crackle to brand new sounding.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    The $40-$50 method I mentioned 2 days ago gets very similar results. Not just that, it transformed my used copy of Kansas s/t from a steady crackle to brand new sounding.
    Define “similar”. I’m sure you method provides some kind of improvement. Ultrasonic cleaning is demonstrably better than any other form of record cleaning treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    Define “similar”. I’m sure you method provides some kind of improvement. Ultrasonic cleaning is demonstrably better than any other form of record cleaning treatment.
    Tempting but a bit expensive, I have a couple of used records that are quite dirty and some records where I am not sure if cleaning will bring better sound but I'd like to try. I will try to hunt down a used one...

I found a comparative overview on a German website , the pro ones are really too expensive , a good solution seems to be the kits that you can connect to standard ultrasonic cleaners.

https://www.good-vinyl.de/pflege/sch...gsger%C3%A4te/

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post
    I found a comparative overview on a German website , the pro ones are really too expensive , a good solution seems to be the kits that you can connect to standard ultrasonic cleaners.

That's like a smorgasbord of vinyl cleaners.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by alucard View Post

A lot of people use them with excellent results. In fact I know of some audiophiles who have Audio Desk and KLaudio units and are selling them to go the DIY ultrasonic route because they have more control over the process.

The biggest downside to these DIY units is drying the albums. You have to use something like a dish drying rack and wait for them to dry off. The benefit of the DIY units is you can clean up to 8 albums at one time.

Another problem with vinyl cleaning machines is if I use one at 11:00pm or midnight, my neighbor who works the early morning shift will be thoroughly pissed.

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    I'm currently in the process of going through my massive vinyl collection to find a noisily dirty one. Once I find one, I'll post a before and after comparison.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama