Thread: Soft Machine 2019 tour

Soft Machine 2019 tour

Surprised there's not already a thread started for Soft Machine's 2019 tour, but I guess that's because it's mainly a west coast and cruise tour.

I'm also probably not the best person to report on the show last night at Freight & Salvage in Bezerkeley because I have a lot of catching up to do in terms of the recent and mid-70s discography, which most of the set was understandably drawn from. The oldest track was "Out-Bloody-Rageous", but they covered a huge swath of the band's history. Here's a setlist:

1. Burden of Proof
    2. Hidden Details
    3. The Man Who Waved at Trains
    4. Life on Bridges
    5. The Tale of Taliesin
    6. Heart Off Guard
    7. Broken Hill
    8. Fourteen Hour Dream
    9. Out-Bloody-Rageous
    10. Kings and Queens
    11. The Relegation of Pluto Medley
    12. Chloe and the Pirates

John Etheridge provided humorous MC duties, although he seemed to be fighting a cold. Fortunately it didn't seem to affect his playing. And for a couple of almost-octogenarians, John Marshall and Roy Babbington played like champs. Marshall even took an impressive solo. Rounding out the lineup, Theo Travis was his usual impressive self on saxes and flutes and occasional keyboards. Etheridge offered a nicely complimentary introduction of Theo as someone who had the chops, but who was also sensitive to the left-of-center brand of fusion SM is known for.

My girlfriend asked me how I enjoyed the show and I responded that they must have won me over because I now plan on doing some CD shopping!

Oh, and special mention to opening trio The Levin Brothers. Their set ranged from cocktail lounge piano trio jazz to a near faithful cover of KC's "Sleepless". They played more covers than I would have liked, but I think they were catering to a prog-leaning audience.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

^ ^ ^

my good pal Doug saw the Sacramento show and said it was really great, and I think he was already expecting a lot from them because (a) he's an old fan and (b) I had already told them they were gonna be great!

And yes; those two are some mighty 'almost-octogenarians'.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I was sitting in the front row, right at John Etheridge's feet, and could hear his breathing--he did sound pretty wheezy. John Marshall was a beast. Before the set he looked so frail, all bent over, shuffling to walk. But when he sat at the drums the years melted away and he played with such confidence! Even better than on that stream from NYC a couple of months ago, I think.

The Levin Brothers were awesome. I could have walked out after their set and felt like I got my money's worth. The Crimson covers were an amazing surprise--I was expecting straight jazz from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    my good pal Doug saw the Sacramento show and said it was really great
    Overheard in the audience at Berkeley: "You ever heard Raoul Björkenheim?"
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    The Levin Brothers were awesome. I could have walked out after their set and felt like I got my money's worth. The Crimson covers were an amazing surprise--I was expecting straight jazz from them.
    For the record, their KC covers also included "Bolero" and "Matte Kudasai", both much more significantly jazzified than "Sleepless." But watching Tony play the "Sleepless" bass riff on his upright made me have a whole new level or respect for the strength of his hands and fingers!
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Overheard in the audience at Berkeley: "You ever heard Raoul Björkenheim?"

John Marshall was a beast. Before the set he looked so frail, all bent over, shuffling to walk. But when he sat at the drums the years melted away and he played with such confidence!
    Yes. I know. It's poignant, except that when he plays he still is so god-damn great.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Surprised there's not already a thread started for Soft Machine's 2019 tour, but I guess that's because it's mainly a west coast and cruise tour.

I'm also probably not the best person to report on the show last night at Freight & Salvage in Bezerkeley because I have a lot of catching up to do in terms of the recent and mid-70s discography, which most of the set was understandably drawn from. The oldest track was "Out-Bloody-Rageous", but they covered a huge swath of the band's history. Here's a setlist:

1. Burden of Proof
    2. Hidden Details
    3. The Man Who Waved at Trains
    4. Life on Bridges
    5. The Tale of Taliesin
    6. Heart Off Guard
    7. Broken Hill
    8. Fourteen Hour Dream
    9. Out-Bloody-Rageous
    10. Kings and Queens
    11. The Relegation of Pluto Medley
    12. Chloe and the Pirates

John Etheridge provided humorous MC duties, although he seemed to be fighting a cold. Fortunately it didn't seem to affect his playing. And for a couple of almost-octogenarians, John Marshall and Roy Babbington played like champs. Marshall even took an impressive solo. Rounding out the lineup, Theo Travis was his usual impressive self on saxes and flutes and occasional keyboards. Etheridge offered a nicely complimentary introduction of Theo as someone who had the chops, but who was also sensitive to the left-of-center brand of fusion SM is known for.

My girlfriend asked me how I enjoyed the show and I responded that they must have won me over because I now plan on doing some CD shopping!

Oh, and special mention to opening trio The Levin Brothers. Their set ranged from cocktail lounge piano trio jazz to a near faithful cover of KC's "Sleepless". They played more covers than I would have liked, but I think they were catering to a prog-leaning audience.
    Surprised you didn't just buy them at the merch table from Leo

Such a great show. Nice review. RapidfireRob and I had a great time.
    "And this is the chorus.....or perhaps it's a bridge...."

Glad that Soft Machine are sounding good out West and glad that John Marshall is once again on board. The NYC Iridium show on Youtube is probably the best I've seen/heard John play with them since the SML reformation. He's a master of those shambling but groovy rhythms that propel the different songs just the right amount. And give you something percussive to focus on, too, if you choose. Anyway, nice to hear he's still playing at that high level.

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Surprised you didn't just buy them at the merch table from Leo
    Thought about it, but there was a large crowd already by the time I got out and I had a BART train to catch. Plus I wasn't sure if they were doing cash only. I figured they'll get my money one way or another.

so psyched to see them next week!

I was wondering about the setlist, thanx for posting!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

It was an awe inspiring show. I didn't even know the Levin brothers were opening, and would have been happy to leave after seeing that set.... they were fantastic as well.

It was an evening of great drummers, and to think John Marshall can play like that at 78 years old was just amazing. I don't think he has lost a beat... probably playing as good as ever. Hard to say that about Allan White unfortunately.

Harder to believe there was not one person in the audience under 50 years old. Why are millenial musicians not attending this? Not interested? Have something better to do? I can't wrap my brain around that.

Every great musician will talk about that moment that inspired them... when they saw ____________ for the first time. How can any young person be inspired if they don't get out to see this great stuff? What are they doing?

Quote Originally Posted by Skullhead View Post
    Why are millenial musicians not attending this? Not interested?
    Well, it's not a big college town. (h/t Ian Faith)
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Just to keep the fun that Skullhead started going...

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    And...

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    Such a great show. Nice review. RapidfireRob and I had a great time.
    Indeed! A big thanks to WOE for my Soft Machine education some years ago. Maybe 10 women in attendance. No surprise. They were shocked to see the men’s rest room line at intermission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heading up to Seattle tonight for Show #1 with Moraine opening......I'll be the bald guy up in the first row..... The venue is a dinner theater so dinner brought to the table beforehand and drinks delivered on demand throughout......life is good.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Heading up to Seattle tonight for Show #1 with Moraine opening......I'll be the bald guy up in the first row..... The venue is a dinner theater so dinner brought to the table beforehand and drinks delivered on demand throughout......life is good.
    I didn't know Moraine were still going but I'm glad to hear they are. A new album would be cool...

Let us know how the show is, anyway!
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mascodagama View Post
    I didn't know Moraine were still going but I'm glad to hear they are. A new album would be cool...

Let us know how the show is, anyway!
    Moraine keeps busy around the Seattle area.....you can see them almost monthly around the area on a bill with other like-minded groups....
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Monday January 28:
    Chloe and the Pirates. Hazard Profile. Kings and Queens. Out-Bloody-Rageous. The Man Who Waved At Trains. Riff. And of course most of the latest album “Hidden Details” (which is excellent): title track, Heart Off Guard, Broken Hill, Flight of the Jett, Life on Bridges, maybe a couple others. Leonardo (who was selling shirts & CDs in the lobby) said they were recording for a probable live album.

John Marshall’s solo was outstanding. John Etheridge out Holdsworthed Allan, despite still having a deep hacking cough. I miss Hugh but Roy was pretty damned impressive. Theo is eminently listenable - excellent use of looping pedals to reproduce Ratledge's keyboard loops. In all the band was tight, powerful, well-rehearsed, and made a convincing case for dropping the “Legacy” part of the name.

Moraine’s opening set was powerful and occasionally very tuneful. Other times ... a little too much mushy noodling. Dennis Rea’s imitation of Tuvan throat singing on guitar(!) was pretty astonishing.
    Tuesday January 29:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Cook
    First band about the same.
    Soft played mostly a different set list and were much more settled in their playing.
    Really found a groove for the last three tunes, with lots of interaction smiles going back & forth.

I went down for a rehearsal around 5:00 then had dinner with them about 6:30.
    Lorrie & I spent a long time sitting, talking to John.

They acknowledged the 2002 Progman and a shout out Happy Birthday to Lorrie from the stage.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 01-30-2019 at 08:24 PM.

Harder to believe there was not one person in the audience under 50 years old.
    There was a lineup at the urinals in Seattle during halftime. Prostate problems

Harder to believe there was not one person in the audience under 50 years old.
    Funny you should mention this....I sat next to a (20-something) girl Monday night in Seattle. During the break I asked her "what gives?" She said she came for Both Bands. Drove from Bellingham.....a few hours north of Seattle. She had been to see Carl Palmer....Hackett....and quite a few other prog groups as well as attending Seaprog last summer. It was great to chat about music with her. Turned her on to Martin Barre's concert next month in Everett... (thanks Joe F.!)

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Seeing them in NYC last year, Marshall was definitely the most impressive thing of a night of impressive things.

Hope they make it back to the east. And a live album would be pretty sweet!
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

GOING TOMORROW NIGHT!!!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

THEY PLAYED HAZARD PROFILE ! ! !

John Marshall took a great Drum solo right into Hazard Profile... man that was sweet!