Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Zappa in New York 5 CD edition

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    Well, it's not a show, but a composite patchwork of (at least) two shows, with some very questionable edits. I still preferred it to Roxy & Elsewhere until the full performances of the latter got released in the stunning sound quality, which obliterated any previous version for me.

Do they sound more relaxed? Well, there's some very jammy, funky playing to be heard in the Roxy box, so by design Frank's cut&paste work will always sound more concise and condensed, especially that he always tended to trim any loose jamming on the released live tapes.

Would the unedited Helsinki shows sound similar? Hard to tell, but I'd love to hear the tapes in their entirety, because with the growing number of Zappa's archival releases of unadulterated live tapes I have less and less appetite for his own edited patchworks. These days I would even place YCDTOSA #2 in my top ten, despite some of its very fine moments. It just lacks the flow that full concert documents have.
    Fair enough. I've only gotten through the Roxy box once since last spring. So I may be passing on the NY set.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What's the 81 material he released? I unfortunately missed an 81 show at Syracuse because I wasn't into him yet - not sure why a friend didn't drag me along! There are unofficial recordings, but wondering if there's anything official.
    Well, there's various tracks scattered throughout the early/mid albums such as Ship Arriving Too Late To Save A Drowning Witch, Them Or Us, Man From Utopia, and Frank Zappa Meets The Mothers Of Prevention. I'm not sure which are from 81 and which are from 82 (assuming that at least some of the material originates from live performance, probably with studio overdubs), but I'm thinking of stuff like Sinister Footwear, Marqueson's Chicken, What's New In Baltimore?, Moggio, I think Alien Orifice is from that same time frame also.

Then there's also a number of tracks on You Can't Do That Onstage Anymore Vols. 3-6 (with disc two of Volume 5 devoted entirely to the 82 European tour).

Wasn't the Palladium Halloween 81 show (the one that was partially broadcast by MTV, their very first live remote broadcast) released officially? I remember reading where Nina Blackwood said Frank was a real putz towards her when she was interviewing him at the beginning of the broadcast.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    I have less and less appetite for his own edited patchworks.l.
    I remember Frank saying that he didn't like putting out unedited stuff because it was hard for him to listen to stuff without putting on his "producer hat", he'd hear all the mistakes and errors. Like I said in an earlier post, Frank heard stuff that most of us probably won't, in terms of "mistakes" or "errors" or whatever. So he had a hard time with putting out stuff where he didn't "fix" something.

I remember in the interview he did in Guitar Player in 83, he said there's 12 edits, I think, in the "studio" version of Drowning Witch. And he said some of them were only a few bars long. That means, he had to go through all the tapes from the 81 tour, and edited together a "perfect" track, because there was no single night where the band played it "perfectly".

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post

Wasn't the Palladium Halloween 81 show (the one that was partially broadcast by MTV, their very first live remote broadcast) released officially? I remember reading where Nina Blackwood said Frank was a real putz towards her when she was interviewing him at the beginning of the broadcast.
    Various tracks on the YCDTOSA series, Dub Room Special and then the Torture Never Stops video. Not sure if the Nina Blackwood interview is on YouTube but it's evident they weren't a good match.

Then there's also a number of tracks on You Can't Do That Onstage Anymore Vols. 3-6 (with disc two of Volume 5 devoted entirely to the 82 European tour).
    Volume 1 too.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post

Volume 1 too.
    Yeah, I never got around to getting You Can't Do That Onstage Anymore Vol. 1. When it first came out, it seemed way expensive. I mean it was only 20 bucks, being a double CD, but that was more money than I had, and being the dumb teenager that I was, I was "incapable" of saving my allowance so I could buy it. I eventually managed to get all the rest of them, even the purple road case that was put out volumes 5 and 6 in it, but I never got the first one. Then they changed the package, to the slimline case, so I was holding out until I could get a used copy of the original version, but that never happened.

I do have the You Can't Do That Onstage Anymore sampler, though. That's the double LP Frank put out at the same time as volume one, which was kinda cool. It had various tracks on it from the first three volumes. In fact, I think that was the first Zappa album I actually bought.

Yeah, I never got around to getting You Can't Do That Onstage Anymore Vol. 1. When it first came out, it seemed way expensive. I mean it was only 20 bucks, being a double CD, but that was more money than I had, and being the dumb teenager that I was, I was "incapable" of saving my allowance so I could buy it. I eventually managed to get all the rest of them, even the purple road case that was put out volumes 5 and 6 in it, but I never got the first one. Then they changed the package, to the slimline case, so I was holding out until I could get a used copy of the original version, but that never happened.
    Rykodisc (and Zappa) stuff in those days wasn't usually cheap. I remember paying more than $20 for a single CD on Ryko by the Residents. Too bad you missed YCDTOSA 1, it has some good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    Rykodisc (and Zappa) stuff in those days wasn't usually cheap. I remember paying more than $20 for a single CD on Ryko by the Residents. Too bad you missed YCDTOSA 1, it has some good stuff.
    I don't know where you live, but around here, Ryko wasn't anymore expensive than any other labels. SIngle CD's went for around 12 bucks, doubles were around 20. I'm sure I didn't pay for $12.99 or Hot Rats, Weasels..., Zoot Allures, etc.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    Let me try :

Zappa Wazoo - 1972
    Road Tapes Venue #2 - Helsinki, 23-24 August 1973
    YCDTOSA Vol 2 - The Helsinki Concert 1974

IMHO.
    You Can't Vol. 2 I definitely the one I feel bad about leaving out. If I could make 4 things 3, I would add it. That said, the enormity of the roxy performances makes it a lock for my list.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    The New York 5CD set is shipping to me today from Bull Moose

Arrived today. For those who were worried that manhole-cover tin wouldn't fit well on their shelves, it actually comes in a pretty nice cardboard box with the album name and all on the sides, so in that box it should fit pretty well on peoples' shelves.

No physical copy for me yet, but I listened to a couple of discs worth on streaming today and...this is good stuff.

I went out and bought a copy this morning and have been playing it since. I'll play disc 1 last since I'm already familiar with the music on it. I've spun discs 2-5 once each and loved them. Nice overall song selection, fantastic ensemble playing, some killer guitar solos and excellent sound quality. $$$ well spent.

I do have one quality control related complaint. Upon opening the box, the individual cardboard sleeves already had creases, dings or other stray marks; every one of them.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    creases, dings or other stray marks
    And the manhole cover is already rusted.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    And the manhole cover is already rusted.
    And the titties are sagging and the beer is stale.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    I do have one quality control related complaint. Upon opening the box, the individual cardboard sleeves already had creases, dings or other stray marks; every one of them.
    Was the foam insert in the tin? It seemed to me the disks in their sleeves were pretty snugly set in the foam (but not hard to remove). I did think the replica ticket was strangely small, but who cares?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Was the foam insert in the tin? It seemed to me the disks in their sleeves were pretty snugly set in the foam (but not hard to remove). I did think the replica ticket was strangely small, but who cares?
    Yup, the foam insert was in place. I chalk it up to whatever process was used to collate the discs.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I started w. CD 5 and am halfway through CD 4. Beautiful sound quality.

I was at that show. Frank was real sick, barely played guitar all night.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    I was at that show. Frank was real sick, barely played guitar all night.
    That also "The Torture Never Stops" video of the full show, right?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

<<Wasn't the Palladium Halloween 81 show (the one that was partially broadcast by MTV, their very first live remote broadcast) released officially?>>

For some reason I thought MTV's first live, remote broadcast was The Alarm's concert at UCLA, but that was in 1986. Maybe it was the first worldwide one.

Don Pardo's voice just wipes me out!

Pound For A Brown on disc 3 kills. Great guitar solo.

this box is so awesome, too bad they filled it with a bunch of useless stuff (tickets, manhole cover, etc) and made it completely un-affordable to me ...

It's not out until Friday here, but I have it set for release day delivery, so I hope that comes through! I've been seriously gazing at it since it was announced, and now photos of it are starting to show up online from happy Zappa heads. Looking forward to spending all day Saturday immersed in it.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Any reviews of the two-disc set?

I woke up in a grim mood today, but after some Crissy Puked Twice, I feel light as a feather. This is healing music for me.