Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Zappa in New York 5 CD edition

Zappa in New York 5 CD edition

On March 29, Zappa Records/UMe will celebrate the 40th anniversary of the release of the famed Frank Zappa live album Zappa In New York by issuing a suite of expanded anniversary editions that will be available as a 5-CD box set, 3-LPs on 180-gram audiophile grade vinyl and digitally. Included within is over three hours of unreleased material from FZ’s legendary 1976 four-night stand at The Palladium in New York City. The 5CD set is $95.
    https://store.zappa.com/zappa-in-new...-preorder.html

Frank’s band for the famed run included Ray White on vocals and guitar, Terry Bozzio on drums and vocals, Eddie Jobson on keyboards, Ruth Underwood on percussion and synthesizer, Patrick O’Hearn on bass and vocals and David Samuels on timpani and vibes. Don Pardo provided “sophisticated narration” and the brass section, featuring jazz duo the Brecker Brothers with Randy Brecker on trumpet and Michael Brecker on tenor saxophone, was joined by Saturday Night Live band members Lou Marini on alto sax, Ronnie Cuber on baritone sax and Tom Malone on trombone.

The shows were recorded for what was expected to be a 1977 release. However, censorship issues, mostly over the content of “Punky’s Whips,” led to a delay of over a year. Zappa In New York was finally issued in 1978. The Zappa Family Trust oversaw the new collection which has been produced by Ahmet Zappa and Vaultmeister Joe Travers. The deluxe 5-CD set comes within a limited-edition metal tin shaped like a NYC street manhole cover and includes a replica ticket. Not only has the original album been newly remastered by Bob Ludwig, there’s a bevy of bonuses. Here’s more on what to expect:

The four additional discs are loaded with relevant Vault nuggets and more than three hours of unreleased live performances from the NYC Palladium concerts, representing every composition played during the concerts and the best alternate performances of every tune Zappa picked for the original album, all newly mixed in 2018. To achieve the highest-level sound quality, the audio team went back to the original two-inch 24-track multi-track master tapes and transferred every reel at 96kHz 24-bit wavs.

“We are excited to bring you this new Deluxe version of Zappa in New York: an opportunity to re-examine and celebrate the source material of a great album while exploring the events of Frank’s life in late December 1976, Collections like these really show of the work ethic of a musical genius,” exclaims the Zappa Family Trust in the album notes.

The package also includes previously unseen live photos taken by Gail Zappa alongside extensive liner notes. Band members Ruth Underwood and Ray White, plus Joe Travers and Jen Jewel Brown are among those who contributed to the liner notes. Those who pre-order will receive an instant grat download of the unreleased rarity “The Purple Lagoon/Any Kind Of Pain” recorded on the first night of the run.

ZAPPA IN NEW YORK – 5CD DELUXE EDITION

DISC 1 – THE ORIGINAL 1977 VINYL MIX
    1. Titties & Beer
    2. I Promise Not To Come In Your Mouth
    3. Big Leg Emma
    4. Sofa
    5. Manx Needs Women
    6. The Black Page Drum Solo/Black Page #1
    7. Black Page #2
    8. Honey, Don’t You Want A Man Like Me?
    9. The Illinois Enema Bandit
    10. The Purple Lagoon

DISC 2: BONUS CONCERT PERFORMANCES – PART ONE
    1. “The Most Important Musical Event Of 1976”
    2. Peaches En Regalia
    3. The Torture Never Stops
    4. The Black Page #2
    5. Punky’s Whips Intro
    6. Punky’s Whips
    7. I Promise Not To Come In Your Mouth
    8. Honey, Don’t You Want A Man Like Me?
    9. The Illinois Enema Bandit
    10. “Two For The Price Of One”
    11. Penis Dimension
    12. Montana

DISC 3: BONUS CONCERT PERFORMANCES – PART TWO
    1. America Drinks
    2. “Irate Phone Calls”
    3. Sofa #2
    4. “The Moment You’ve All Been Waiting For”
    5. I’m The Slime
    6. Pound For A Brown
    7. Terry’s Solo
    8. The Black Page Drum Solo/Black Page #1
    9. Big Leg Emma
    10. “Jazz Buffs and Buff-etts”
    11. The Purple Lagoon
    12. Find Her Finer
    13. The Origin Of Manx
    14. Manx Needs Women
    15. Chrissy Puked Twice
    16. Cruisin’ For Burgers

DISC 4: BONUS CONCERT PERFORMANCES – PART THREE
    1. The Purple Lagoon/Any Kind Of Pain
    2. “The Greatest New Undiscovered Group In America”
    3. Black Napkins
    4. Dinah-Moe Humm
    5. Finale

DISC 5: BONUS VAULT CONTENT
    1. The Black Page #2 (Piano Version)
    2. I Promise Not To Come In Your Mouth (Alternate Version)
    3. Chrissy Puked Twice
    4. Cruisin’ For Burgers (1977 Mix)
    5. Black Napkins
    6. Punky’s Whips (Unused Version)
    7. The Black Page #1 (Piano Version)

ZAPPA IN NEW YORK – 3LP 40th ANNIVERSARY EDITION

LP 1 / Side 1 – Original Album Mix Remastered
    1. Titties & Beer
    2. I Promise Not To Come In Your Mouth
    3. Big Leg Emma

LP 1 / Side 2 – Original Album
    1. Sofa
    2. Manx Needs Women
    3. The Black Page Drum Solo/Black Page #1
    4. Black Page #2

LP 2 / Side 3 – Original Album
    1. Honey, Don’t You Want A Man Like Me?
    2. The Illinois Enema Bandit

LP 2 / Side 4 – Original Album
    1. The Purple Lagoon

LP 3 / Side 1 – Bonus Vault Content
    1. Black Napkins
    2. Cruisin’ For Burgers (1977 Mix)

LP 3 / Side 2 – Bonus Vault Content
    1. The Black Page #2 (Piano Version)
    2. I Promise Not To Come In Your Mouth (Alternate Version)
    3. Punky’s Whips (Unused Version)
    4. The Black Page #1 (Piano Version)

Not enough new content to justify the price and the packaging sure is dumb. Maybe if it drops a little....

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    Not enough new content to justify the price and the packaging sure is dumb. Maybe if it drops a little....
    Is the stuff on the extra 4 CDs all previously released? The packaging isn't practical for some I'm sure, although it looks kind of nice to me. It's hard to get a good idea from the photos what kind of protection if any the individual disks have. I'll have to see an unboxing video.

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    However, censorship issues, mostly over the content of “Punky’s Whips,” led to a delay of over a year.
    From what I understand, the record company was worried about Punky Meadows, and Angel's management suing Frank for being made fun of. But the hoot was that Punky - who is apparently, in real life, a far more down-to-earth guy than his image in those days might suggest - thought it was hilarious. I guess he himself thought the photo was embarrassing, and laughed right along with FZ.

The question for me (who don't have the original) is who are the band on this set?
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    The question for me (who don't have the original) is who are the band on this set?
    http://globalia.net/donlope/fz/lyric..._New_York.html

FZ—conductor, lead guitar, vocals
    Ray White—rhythm guitar, vocals
    Eddie Jobson—keyboards, violin, vocals
    Patrick O'Hearn—bass, vocals
    Terry Bozzio—drums, vocals
    Ruth Underwood—percussion, synthesizer, and various humanly impossible overdubs
    Don Pardo—sophisticated narration
    David Samuels—timpani, vibes
    Randy Brecker—trumpet
    Mike Brecker—tenor sax, flute
    Lou Marini—alto sax, flute
    Ronnie Cuber—baritone sax, clarinet
    Tom Malone—trombone, trumpet, piccolo

"[Ruth] Underwood also contributes a solo piano version of “The Black Page” that has been newly recorded for this special edition. "

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    From what I understand, the record company was worried about Punky Meadows, and Angel's management suing Frank for being made fun of. But the hoot was that Punky - who is apparently, in real life, a far more down-to-earth guy than his image in those days might suggest - thought it was hilarious. I guess he himself thought the photo was embarrassing, and laughed right along with FZ.
    I remember one of my friends mentioning that he used to know Punky, and I made the comment to the effect that Punky probably thought it was an honor to be skewered by Frank, and my friend said, "That's exactly right!".

Do we know if any of the bonus content overlaps with the bonus tracks that appeared on the early 90's double CD release?

I don't have much Zappa and I've been wanting the New York album for a long time, so I'll be getting the vinyl.

FZ was on Saturday Night Live with this band.

no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post

Great footage!

This is one of my favorite FZ concert albums, and I only have the original CD from the 1980's. So count me in on the 5 CD set.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post

Do we know if any of the bonus content overlaps with the bonus tracks that appeared on the early 90's double CD release?
    I think "Cruising For Burgers (1977 Mix)" will be a vintage mix of the same version that was on the double CD. The other three bonus songs may be different versions.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I remember one of my friends mentioning that he used to know Punky, and I made the comment to the effect that Punky probably thought it was an honor to be skewered by Frank, and my friend said, "That's exactly right!".

This is my question as well, looking over the track list for the first time. Or perhaps another way of phrasing the question would be, how much of the "bonus" material is really new.

That said, I don't envision a scenario where I don't get this
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Fuckin' Belushi on that....I'm crying!
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    This is my question as well, looking over the track list for the first time. Or perhaps another way of phrasing the question would be, how much of the "bonus" material is really new.
    Looking over the list, I find six songs that have never been officially released from this run:

Peaches En Regalia (if the SNL video doesn't count)
    Penis Dimension
    Montana
    America Drinks
    Find Her Finer
    Dinah Moe Humm

The previously released Black Napkins had only two or three minutes from 1976 (the theme and Michael Brecker's solo) so the 28 minute version on disc four is a significant offering. The others on disc 2-4 are presumably alternate takes of songs heard on the double CD. Of course, the band's improvisations could vary a lot between four nights.

Incidentally, "Penis Dimension" and "America Drinks" were performed as instrumentals in these shows.

Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    Looking over the list, I find six songs that have never been officially released from this run
    Plus, although it's not a stand-alone song, "Any Kind of Pain."
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pb2015 View Post
    Looking over the list, I find six songs that have never been officially released from this run:

Peaches En Regalia (if the SNL video doesn't count)
    Penis Dimension
    Montana
    America Drinks
    Find Her Finer
    Dinah Moe Humm

The previously released Black Napkins had only two or three minutes from 1976 (the theme and Michael Brecker's solo) so the 28 minute version on disc four is a significant offering. The others on disc 2-4 are presumably alternate takes of songs heard on the double CD. Of course, the band's improvisations could vary a lot between four nights.
    This is very helpful, thanks. Good to know the track time on that Black Napkins. I was hopeful something was massively extended on that disc (aside from The Purple Lagoon, which I assume is a 'full' version)
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Holy shit, I never knew this tune was from this era! Love FZs solo on the 88 live version.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I put in an order.

Cripes, what a sucker.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    I put in an order.

Cripes, what a sucker.
    Sucker? Or just an insane completist? Anyway, at least the money isn't going to pad Gail's pocket.

I'm a completest. Zappa = autobuy. I've always loved the original album so an expanded edition of it is welcome at my house.