Thread: My New Steve Hackett Interview

My New Steve Hackett Interview

http://progsheet1.hypermart.net/stev...geoflight.html

We had a lovely little talk. I do hope you enjoy it!
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

Excellent, as always, John. Great job.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Banned
    Well done. Wish it were longer. Whets my apetite for the new album. Very astute observation regarding India in that "Logic seems to play less a part than the idea of destiny." I found that to be very true but it is changing rapidly. Paradoxically, Indians are masters of logic and mathematics and are probably the inventors of the formal concept of "zero" around the fifth century or earlier that was absent from Western mathematics.

PS: As I get older, I find that what I look for most in music is honesty.

SH: I think honesty is very good. Energy and honesty is good. Authenticity I think. I'd rather have that than originality because there is no such thing. Original music cannot be accessed.
    ---------------

OK, what does the honesty in music thing mean? What are examples of not very honest prog?

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post

SH: I think honesty is very good. Energy and honesty is good. Authenticity I think. I'd rather have that than originality because there is no such thing. Original music cannot be accessed.
    ---------------

OK, what does the honesty in music thing mean? What are examples of not very honest prog?
    I think it dovetails in with his talk about the pop song on the album. He kept it honest; i.e. true to the song, instead of forcing some measures of 5/4 into it just because he's considered to be a prog musician. That would be dishonest, or contrived. Honesty, as I would understand it, would be staying true to who you are, as a musician and an artist.

Way back when I was in a band, we would struggle with this, sometimes. We talked about doing a song in 5, or 7, because that's what our heroes did. But then that would be contrived, instead of just writing what we felt or came up with naturally.

So, be authentic. Be who you are, instead of trying to satisfy some expectation or trying to imitate someone else. Be honest.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Way back when I was in a band, we would struggle with this, sometimes. We talked about doing a song in 5, or 7, because that's what our heroes did. But then that would be contrived, instead of just writing what we felt or came up with naturally.
    OK, but if you wrote a good song in 5, it wouldn't be honest because your band played usually or always wrote in 4, etc?

I just remembered something funny: Paul McCartney supposedly said to Lennon before writing a well known song: "Let's write ourselves a swimming pool" and out popped "Yesterday."

Is that a not so honest song?

Plenty of music in every genre is contrived. Plenty of music in every genre is honest. Some posters look to confront or imply controversy or negativity when there is zero intent there. Do have a rainbow day!

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Well done. Wish it were longer. Whets my apetite for the new album. Very astute observation regarding India in that "Logic seems to play less a part than the idea of destiny." I found that to be very true but it is changing rapidly. Paradoxically, Indians are masters of logic and mathematics and are probably the inventors of the formal concept of "zero" around the fifth century or earlier that was absent from Western mathematics.
    We decided to do 2 interviews this year. As the US tour gets closer we'll talk about that & more!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    Plenty of music in every genre is contrived. Plenty of music in every genre is honest. Some posters look to confront or imply controversy or negativity when there is zero intent there. Do have a rainbow day!
    Nah. I didn't say there is controversy. I sometimes hear the expression, and I don't see how it is used except as "As I get older I find what I look for is music I like." Or "What I look for is music that speaks to me." Well, of course but you assume especially musicians have always done that.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Paradoxically, Indians are masters of logic and mathematics and are probably the inventors of the formal concept of "zero" around the fifth century or earlier that was absent from Western mathematics.
    Now this is controversial!

I just conducted a quick internet survey and 64% of science historians say the zero originated with the Babylonians that the Indians adopted, 31% said the Indians developed it independently and 5% said that zero meant nothing to them.

Why doesn't anyone ask him where and when he first tapped? Where did he get the idea? Seems like such an obvious question. I doubt he thought it up on the spot for Hogweed.

Banned
    Now this is controversial!

I just conducted a quick internet survey and 64% of science historians say the zero originated with the Babylonians that the Indians adopted, 31% said the Indians developed it independently and 5% said that zero meant nothing to them.
    Yes it was known in ancient Mesopotamia but it was developed as a formal mathematical concept and leveraged by first the Indians and then the Arabs who introduced it to the west. The ancients used it as a mere placeholder and never realized its key place in higher mathematics. At least that is my understanding.

Perhaps Mr. Wilcox and Mr. Hackett can discuss this in the next interview and settle the issue. Perhaps we can agree that only thing we can grant with certainty at this time is that one white duck / 0^10 = nothing at all.

---------------

From the heart. Not honest, any style, would be pandering or doing something because you think someone will like it. Honesty is where you completely relate to your song or piece.

Enjoyable interview once again!

I think I asked him decades ago, but I do not call his reply!

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Why doesn't anyone ask him where and when he first tapped? Where did he get the idea? Seems like such an obvious question. I doubt he thought it up on the spot for Hogweed.

Thank you sir!
    Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    From the heart. Not honest, any style, would be pandering or doing something because you think someone will like it. Honesty is where you completely relate to your song or piece.

I'm not fan of his current albums but I've just been playing the highlights of Spectral Mornings, Please Don't Touch & Voyage Of The Acolyte - boy those albums are classic solid gold!

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post

So much more elegant and succinct than what I was trying to say.

Thanks so much! I enjoyed it. (Well, except for the white print on black background. I can only read for about a minute or two, then take a break because it is so visually debilitating. WHY is this done so often? OK, re-phrased: why do you choose it?)

I too enjoyed his appraisal of the unique vibe in India.

And Steve983...have you heard the great "remake" of Spectral Mornings (the track) by the Reed brothers and Christina? (It was a fundraiser for Parkinson's Disease)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U49cwM7b1Wk