Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On A Pearl Jam Kick Today

Banned

On A Pearl Jam Kick Today

At the Soundgarden concert I attended on Friday, my friend and I were talking about Pearl Jam. Wasn't a fan of this band back in the day due to their "grunge" label. I only liked '80s "hair metal"(and later, classic rock). I thought that grunge was just a fad. Then in 2009, I kept hearing about the Ten reissue and I saw a doc about the making of the album on VH1 that year. After finding out that the Ten reissue would be sold at my local Target store, I decided to pull the trigger. By then, I had became a fan of the songs Black, Porch, and Better man(Jeremy would strike a chord with me later). So, today I decided to spend the day listening to some Pearl Jam cds(it's a promise that I made to my friend at the concert). I only have the reissues of Ten, Vitalogy, and Vs, plus Backspacer. I noticed that each Pearl Jam cd has a completely different sound:Ten is classic rock inspired, Vs seems punk inspired, Vitalogy is art rock inspired, and Backspacer is pop and new wave inspired. Vitalogy is my favorite Pearl Jam cd; Better Man, Black, and Oceans are my top three Pearl Jam songs. Who on PE likes Pearl Jam? If so, do you have any of the reissues? What is the different between the original mix of Ten and the remix? What Pearl Jam cd should I get next? Who has seen the PJ:20 movie? C'mon, PE. Let's take this thread to twenty pages.

Banned
    don't know about the remix but "Ten" is one of the all time best albums of the 90's..actually of any decade.

I liked Pearl Jam at the time (I know they've continuously existed for over 20 years, but "their time" kind of ended around 2000 or so). They were only superficially grunge - much more '70s rock inspired. As musicians, I don't find them to be either superlative technically or incredibly creative, but those things are not necessary for me to enjoy a band's music - most rock music isn't either of these things (hell, Neil Young with Crazy Horse made some of my all-time favorite albums). They're honest, earnest, knew how to deploy a good riff and had a solid run of catchy tunes in their prime. The Pearl Jam albums that I still return to from time to time are Vitalogy (my favorite, despite it having two of their worst songs), No Code and Yield. I like some songs from Vs and Binaural, but don't like others and don't play either all the way through. I never cared much for Ten (it seemed boringly calculated). They lost me with Riot Act (2002) and I stopped paying attention to them around that time (so did a lot of other people, based on the sales numbers). It was only a few years ago that I heard their self-titled 2006 album. Didn't sound like I missed a whole lot - it sounded just like a Pearl Jam album, which is great if you're still a hardcore fan, but redundant otherwise. There was one other album that they made, but I haven't heard it.

But yeah - I would put Vitalogy in the canon of essential '90s albums. It was almost as if Pearl Jam had made the previous two albums at someone else's behest and, now that they were big stars and sold millions of albums, they could make the record that they REALLY wanted to make. It was more aggressive and more diverse than their other two albums and even the ballads were really good, IMO (and I'm not usually a fan of those).

The only thing I really hate about Pearl Jam is their name - pretty sophomoronic and gross, naming your band after a wad of spooge.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    I never cared much for Ten (it seemed boringly calculated).

But yeah - I would put Vitalogy in the canon of essential '90s albums. It was almost as if Pearl Jam had made the previous two albums at someone else's behest
    I don't know how you could say this about the debut album from a young band, but whatever.

The only thing I really hate about Pearl Jam is their name - pretty sophomoronic and gross, naming your band after a wad of spooge.
    Is this the official story now? I've heard about a dozen different explanations as to what the name was supposed to mean.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I don't know how you could say this about the debut album from a young band, but whatever.

Is this the official story now? I've heard about a dozen different explanations as to what the name was supposed to mean.
    exactly, I never really associated the band name with anything - it's just PEARL JAM and they can rock. Yes, "TEN" shows great hunger....and that song "Hunger Strike" by Temple of the Dog is another classic.

meimjustalawnmower
    Not that I care, but I tend to believe the so-called vulgar origination of the name, because I've heard the term used long before the band existed. After all, ZZ Top's "Pearl Necklace" wasn't exactly about jewelry, if you get my drift.

Banned
    I liked Pearl Jam at the time (I know they've continuously existed for over 20 years, but "their time" kind of ended around 2000 or so). They were only superficially grunge - much more '70s rock inspired. As musicians, I don't find them to be either superlative technically or incredibly creative, but those things are not necessary for me to enjoy a band's music - most rock music isn't either of these things (hell, Neil Young with Crazy Horse made some of my all-time favorite albums). They're honest, earnest, knew how to deploy a good riff and had a solid run of catchy tunes in their prime. The Pearl Jam albums that I still return to from time to time are Vitalogy (my favorite, despite it having two of their worst songs), No Code and Yield. I like some songs from Vs and Binaural, but don't like others and don't play either all the way through. I never cared much for Ten (it seemed boringly calculated). They lost me with Riot Act (2002) and I stopped paying attention to them around that time (so did a lot of other people, based on the sales numbers). It was only a few years ago that I heard their self-titled 2006 album. Didn't sound like I missed a whole lot - it sounded just like a Pearl Jam album, which is great if you're still a hardcore fan, but redundant otherwise. There was one other album that they made, but I haven't heard it.

But yeah - I would put Vitalogy in the canon of essential '90s albums. It was almost as if Pearl Jam had made the previous two albums at someone else's behest and, now that they were big stars and sold millions of albums, they could make the record that they REALLY wanted to make. It was more aggressive and more diverse than their other two albums and even the ballads were really good, IMO (and I'm not usually a fan of those).

What are two of the worst Pearl Jam songs? Also, the other story that I've heard about their name is that it was inspired by Eddie Vedder's grandma. Her name was Pearl and she liked to make hallucinogenic jam.

I agree with your assesment about different albums being different styles. I own "Ten" and "Backspacer" both of which I think are great. I also had "Vs" at one time, but did not really care for it. As for their name, yea "Pearl Jam" is an old expression that means the same thing as ZZ Top's "Pearl Neckace".

Steve Sly

1) I said "almost as if;" I didn't state that this actually was the case. I was just describing what I was hearing, not trying to start a rumor. And, after doing some Wikipedia research, it seems more plausible that the real reason why Ten, in particular, sounds a bit different is because it wasn't the product of the whole group, which had just been assembled prior to its recording; apparently, that album was almost entirely the product of Stone Gossard and Jeff Ament.

2). Concerning the band name, I had thought that this is what it meant, but, again, after some research I see that the name origin is in dispute, with Vedder on the record as having lied to the press about it on at least one occasion (the grandmother story). So this is nice to know, and I'll take back the sophomoronic comment (unless it does happen to be true).

Ten, Vs, Vitalogy and all the "live stuff" are my favorites.
    Green River-Mudhoney-Mother Love Bone-Temple of the Dog-Lovemongers-Alice-Soundgarden...man ... great music!.

Cheers!.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    Ten, Vs, Vitalogy and all the "live stuff" are my favorites.
    Green River-Mudhoney-Mother Love Bone-Temple of the Dog-Lovemongers-Alice-Soundgarden...man ... great music!.

Cheers!.
    Nice to meet a fan of the Temple Of The Dog project. I was listening to that cd the other day. Nice to see Cornell put down the guitar on concentrate on singing; I love that cd. Btw, what do you think of Audioslave?

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    What are two of the worst Pearl Jam songs?
    I think "Bugs" and "Hey Foxymophandlemama, That's Me" are pretty terrible, but maybe that's just me.

Btw, what do you think of Audioslave?
    Hello JIF: I really like Rage Against the Machine and Cornell, as a member of Soundgarden or his solo stuff, but, as a whole, Audioslave doesnīt work for me.

Regards.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

JIF wrote:
    *Who has seen the PJ:20 movie?*
    Me: Itīs a great rockumentary IMO!!.

Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

To these old ears, "Ten" is without question, one of the greatest debut albums by any band anywhere at any time. I followed them for a bit afterwards, basically up until Veder started complaining about his fame and started wearing masks around town....but nothing came close to how blown away I was by Tens' raw intensity and emotion. Awesome album. I always admired them for their stand against Ticketmaster in the day too. They always seemed to me to be a band of personal integrity.

Banned
    JIF wrote:
    *Who has seen the PJ:20 movie?*
    Me: Itīs a great rockumentary IMO!!.

I watched it on Netflix last night, and it was great!! In fact, I'm going to watch it again really soon.

Quote Originally Posted by gpeccary View Post
    To these old ears, "Ten" is without question, one of the greatest debut albums by any band anywhere at any time. I followed them for a bit afterwards, basically up until Veder started complaining about his fame and started wearing masks around town....but nothing came close to how blown away I was by Tens' raw intensity and emotion. Awesome album. I always admired them for their stand against Ticketmaster in the day too. They always seemed to me to be a band of personal integrity.
    How would you feel being recognized everywhere? Look at what it did to Cobain.

Hello JIF: I really like Rage Against the Machine and Cornell, as a member of Soundgarden or his solo stuff, but, as a whole, Audioslave doesnīt work for me.

Regards.
    For me it is the opposite. I really dug Audioslave, but not so much Rage.

Steve Sly

Banned

Regards.
    What do you think of Cornell's Carry On? I've been wanting to get that because it was produced by Steve Lillywhite, he covers Billie Jean on it, and it features Nir Z on drums.

What do you think of Cornell's Carry On?
    Itīs an ok album muy a la Cornell :-)
    "Billie Jeanīs" cover is a good one!!.

Another great song from the "Singlesī period is:

Seasons:

T.C.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Banned
    Itīs an ok album muy a la Cornell :-)
    "Billie Jeanīs" cover is a good one!!.

Another great song from the "Singlesī period is:

Seasons:

T.C.
    What's muy?

I remember buying Vs the day it was released, the same day as Rush's Counterparts ("Animate" always reminded me a bit of Pearl Jam in fact. The riffs, anyway). I listened to both of those albums like crazy for the next while. I always thought "Rats" was one of PJ's best tunes, which doesn't seem to get much attention.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I remember buying Vs the day it was released, the same day as Rush's Counterparts ("Animate" always reminded me a bit of Pearl Jam in fact. The riffs, anyway). I listened to both of those albums like crazy for the next while. I always thought "Rats" was one of PJ's best tunes, which doesn't seem to get much attention.
    Wow, I thought that I was the only one that thought that about Animate.

It means that it has his personal way of writing, singing and playing ... "muy a la Cornell"
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Talking about all of this, I just remember and n.p. for the first time in years:
    Days of the Newsīfirst album: man, 90īs or something, good acoustic guitars, great voice, what happens to Travis Meek?.

Mad Season ... great!!, anyone?.

T.C.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

From the beginnigs, a young Pearl Jam...just great!!, a favorite of mine BTW:

Cheers.
    Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.