Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Isildurs Bane and Peter Hammill team up for a new album

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Somehow I expected that this collaboration between two of the torchbearers of adventurous prog would create a bit more buzz on this board.

Anyway, I absolutely LOVE this album. It will certainly be in my top 5 or even top 3 of this year. Any other fans?
    A couple of tracks are really good. Overall a good record.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    ^But it will not be recorded, correct?
    It won't be recorded for official release, no.

Well, I only got In Amzonia recently, so I can't yet say anything definitive. But overall... I adore Isildurs Bane's work in the 20th century and Peter Hammill is one of my favourite lyricists, vocalists and songwriters (roughly in that order). The collaboration looked so good on the paper, that I was expecting them to utterly bollocks the whole thing up.

Happily, they failed to do that. In Amazonia is a good album, though not exceptional. Hammill's lyrical and vocal approach is similar to his recent work, with the same concern for seizing the day and irreversibility of action. But into a larger context of a full band and extensive instrumental work, it just becomes more powerful. This is similar to the PH/PFM collaboration ”Sea of Memory”. Johansson's penchance for sonic experimentation and ”dirty” timbres heard on latter IB projects (and here extended to the vocals) works rather well here, and on tracks like ”Aguirre” and ”The Day Is Done” there is a some welcome lyricism of the kind that I liked in their pre-millenium works. The combination of that and the kind of electro-acoustic chamber sound that he continued to explore here was what made the likes of Mind Vol. 1 so great to my ears.

Perhaps because of its brevity, the album doesn't quite seem to have the gravity that I'd expect – when you think it's about to hit its stride, it stops. I can't say anything about longevity yet, but it is more memorable than Under the Radar and makes for a good complement to Hammill's own From the Trees (which I thought was among his stronger works in the recent years). Certainly it's a more adventurous counterpart to Colours Not Found in Nature.

I finally got this album and am giving it a listen. That first track, "Before You Know It"... Holy cow, what a song.

Gonna enjoy this one I think.

This is a top-notch album. After a few spins, I'm grasping onto the bits that I didn't get before, and it's fascinating. I don't understand how this band comes up with melodies and compositions like this, and I love it. As I've said before, I'm in awe of these folks. Kudos, and here's hoping for many years more of IB music.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the album, aith01! Should you happen to be anywhere near Halmstad, Sweden, on November 23, you should consider going to IB Expo, Isildurs Bane's annual musical gathering, which features Peter Hammill this year, along with Stina Hellberg Aback (harp), Svante Henryson (cello, former bassist in Yngwie Malmsteen's band), Karin Nakagawa (25-string koto) and Isildurs Bane.
    All of In Amazonia will be played, plus music from all the guests (and from Isildurs Bane), including hand-picked nuggets from PH's back catalogue.

^

Going tonight
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

There are several (inferior) clips from IB Expo 19 on YouTube, for instance this rather lovely chamber music version of A Way Out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUh2p4Yjbp8