Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Devin Townsend - Empath

Devin Townsend - Empath

Set to be released March 29th. I'm looking forward to this! Lots of gueast musicians. I believe he is also releasing a 'Making of...' documentary series some time before which is always a cool thing. No idea of the direction of 'Empath', but I'm on board. Love this guys music.

Haters? Lovers? Hater-Lovers?
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I'm a big fan of his music and of the man himself. I am almost done reading his autobiography "Only Half There" which I got as a Christmas present. His stream-of-thought honesty, dedication to family, and constant self-evaluation resonate with me. I've always loved his heavy stuff (especially the Ziltoid offshoots), but after reading the book I have been searching out some of the others, like Causalities of Cool. I think he's a musical genius and also admire the man. He is very quick to point out his flaws, but I find this refreshing in an age of "perfect" social media posts and a continual stream of news of famous people being caught in their lies.

Quote Originally Posted by doh View Post
    I'm a big fan of his music and of the man himself. I am almost done reading his autobiography "Only Half There" which I got as a Christmas present. His stream-of-thought honesty, dedication to family, and constant self-evaluation resonate with me. I've always loved his heavy stuff (especially the Ziltoid offshoots), but after reading the book I have been searching out some of the others, like Causalities of Cool. I think he's a musical genius and also admire the man. He is very quick to point out his flaws, but I find this refreshing in an age of "perfect" social media posts and a continual stream of news of famous people being caught in their lies.
    Well said and I agree. I have his book, but haven't got to it yet. His live shows are a blast. The guy is a true pro and has a great connection with fans. Fun stuff! 'Casualties of Cool' is a nice change of pace...very mellow, but good songs.

He just posted his first Making Of video.

Love this guy. I’m not exactly a “metal person”, but Devin is one of the exceptions for me. Plus, he seems to be a decent human being.

He has really stretched out into some interesting musical territories in the past decade or so, and I’m excited to hear this new one.
    "what's better, peanut butter or g-sharp minor?"
    - Sturgeon's Lawyer, 2021

Jon Neudorf
    First class all the way.

Jon

In Devin's latest documentary episode, he mentioned that he is working with Mike Keneally and Morgan Agren and one song is 20 minutes long. If prog fans aren't sitting up and noticing, I'm not sure why not.

Episode 2:

Episode 3:

Episode 4:

Thanks for dropping those vids here. I would have searched them out on YT, but this is nice and easy. He is a real interesting listen.

^^ if you've not read his book, search it out. Fascinating and honest read.

Thanks! I do have it, but haven't read it yet.

...I love it. It's a big mish-mosh of DT sounds rolled into one. Not to mention the wacky sense of humor tossed in there .

This album will be incredible!

I do too. It helps to know this is the overture of the album and hints at many of the musical styles to be found on the rest of the album.

Episode 5:

Episode 6:

Quote Originally Posted by Flightwave View Post
    This album will be incredible!
    I'm buying this for my wife who is a fan, so I guess I'll find out? I enjoyed the Genesis video. The other CD my wife has sounds like a reverb drenched wall of sound, which really isn't my cuppa tea.

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    I'm buying this for my wife who is a fan, so I guess I'll find out? I enjoyed the Genesis video. The other CD my wife has sounds like a reverb drenched wall of sound, which really isn't my cuppa tea.
    He does tend to go with a wall of sound. It can by a bit over the top sometimes. If you want a more stripped down DT I highly recommend 'KI' The first in a series of Devin Townsend Project albums. It's really cool. Here's a tune from it...

The production/mix on Empath is the clearest Dev has ever been, without sacrificing the bonkers number of tracks.

https://progreport.com/devin-townsen...QQvmfSD9D38Qqw

I wonder if this release is pushing back the release of ERAS Vol IV? They were coming quickly in 2018....
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Been wondering about that, myself. Those came a little too quickly, I thought, so maybe holding off a little isn't too bad. I'm losing hope for Cooked on Phonics to make it into a set, though.

Well now it's here, what do we think??

I've not heard someone go through so many styles of music so quickly in the course of an album, or even in the course of a song.

It's going to take awhile to sink in but I think this could be his best by some distance.