Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Devin Townsend - Empath

I have only heard the 3 songs that were pre-released. I like them...absolutley love 'Genesis' That tune is just all over the place DT madness...yet cohesive! I've heard a lot of good and some not so good about Empath. No matter to me because I will be getting it regardless. Can't wait...
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Just heard it for the fist time. I'm not a big fan of Davin but i like diversity and production of Empath.

I am patiently waiting for mine to arrive. Should be here early next week.

Patiently.

Patiently.

Telling myself patiently.

Even the bonus disc is really good.

Mine should be here any day. I mostly download anymore, but I need to suck in all the uncompressed juices of this one in the truck and on the road...my favorite place to listen.

Never been a fan of his or other similarly-inclined Prog metal artists but EMPATH is truly great.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    Never been a fan of his or other similarly-inclined Prog metal artists but EMPATH is truly great.
    I always recommend his albums 'Ki', 'Ghost' and 'Casualties of Cool' for people not interested in the 'metal with big sound' stuff and want to explore.

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I always recommend his albums 'Ki', 'Ghost' and 'Casualties of Cool' for people not interested in the 'metal with big sound' stuff and want to explore.

Just a thought.
    Thank you. I haven't heard any of those!!!
    The Prog Corner

This album is incredible and I have yet to listen to the epic 'Singularity'...saving that for the right moment.

I second the "incredible" tag.

The best compliment I can give is that it requires my full attention more than any other album I have. I intentionally only listen to it when I have a large block of time where I will not be distracted. I don't listen to it in the background while I am doing something else.

Quote Originally Posted by doh View Post
    I second the "incredible" tag.

The best compliment I can give is that it requires my full attention more than any other album I have. I intentionally only listen to it when I have a large block of time where I will not be distracted. I don't listen to it in the background while I am doing something else.
    Absolutely...that's where it shines. If I have a beef it's with 'Singularity'. Great tune, but loses me a bit when it gets to Acts 4 and 5...kinda disappointing as it kills the flow. It ends well with Act 6 though. Really lovin the tune 'Borderlands'

After reading all of this and checking out the youtube clips, I am about to jump aboard the Townsend train. Is this new album as good a place as any to start, or are there some 'essentials' I should check out first?
    "And if Warhol's a genius, what am I? A speck of lint on the penis of an alien?"

That's a difficult question, Terria and Synchestra was where I started (around when they came out). Also love Transcendence and Epicloud.

I also started at Terria which opened my eyes. The awesome Ocean Machine was next and I was hooked. I actually think that Captain Geech would benefit from this latest album if he wants to dive into DT. It's all over the place and shows his many styles. I mean there is metal, pop, choirs, electronic, riffs and hooks everywhere, melodies and even some Disney One constant is that bombastic wall of sound.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Geech View Post
    After reading all of this and checking out the youtube clips, I am about to jump aboard the Townsend train. Is this new album as good a place as any to start, or are there some 'essentials' I should check out first?
    Check this out man. These songs are from Ocean Machine and a great representation of his early solo days. Pretty powerful stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by tallliman View Post
    That's a difficult question, Terria and Synchestra was where I started (around when they came out). Also love Transcendence and Epicloud.
    I can now see why that's a difficult question. I've been reading up on DT and he's got a lot of history to take in. I'll do what I usually do in these cases. Start with the new album and work my way backwards. I do love an adventure. Thanks guys.
    "And if Warhol's a genius, what am I? A speck of lint on the penis of an alien?"

Epicloud is my favorite .... energetic and fun !

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    Check this out man. These songs are from Ocean Machine and a great representation of his early solo days. Pretty powerful stuff...

Oh Hell Yeah! I'm in. Thanks for posting that.

I think the new one is probably his best yet, much as I love addicted, epicloud and transcendence. I gave it a first listen when I was in Asda (Walmart to you lot over the sea) and had to stop by the pizzas when "Why?" kicked in and compose myself! How on earth he's going to present most of it live, I've no idea. I guess wait and see, have tickets for the end of the year. Wonderful!

He kind of lost me over the past ten years or so. I think Synchestra was the last great thing he did. I loved parts of the albums, but not close to all. The heavy albums all kind of sound samey and run together for me. Sometimes, I liked the bonus discs better than the actual record. I love Believe.

With that said, I think Empath is the best thing he has ever done. I never realized I wanted a Hevy Devy Disney album til now. Borderlands is phenomenal. I think Spirits Will Collide is the weakest song of the bunch and sounds like it could have been on his last several records.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOmniscient View Post
    Sometimes, I liked the bonus discs better than the actual record. I love Believe. With that said, I think Empath is the best thing he has ever done. I never realized I wanted a Hevy Devy Disney album til now. Borderlands is phenomenal. I think Spirits Will Collide is the weakest song of the bunch and sounds like it could have been on his last several records.
    The last two albums were hit or miss with me. A lot of fluff with some pretty awesome tunes sprinkled about. But yeah, his bonus discs are always loaded with killer tunes. I actually like the bonus disc of Transcendance better than the album. You're right about 'Spirits Will Collide' fitting easily on the last 2 albums. I like the tune though. "Borderlands' I just can't get out of my head! What a hook! And that tune 'Why' ...only DT can make Disney metal. Great song! This album is great as is the bonus stuff.

I've only heard the first few songs and I already like this more than any other DT album I've ever heard. The diversity factor is key here as in the past his music was just too much over-the-top wall of sound for me and after a couple of tunes I just needed to hear something else.
    <sig out of order>

EMPATH is my favourite Devin album, I would easily refer it as a masterpiece. His last few releases Epicloud, Transcendence and Sky Blue are all awesome. I do struggle with the two Ziltoid albums though.

This really is a pretty awesome album. It's all over the map musically. There is so much going on and makes multiple listens so rewarding.

So glad you all are digging the album, I absolutely love it and it’s one of my favorite things I’ve ever been involved with. It honestly feels as momentous to me as working with Zappa to be involved with Devin’s ongoing project. He is a unique creator in my experience.